Copper Kills Viruses?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I wonder how true this really is?

https://realfarmacy.com/copper-kill...-iwFtlbMrnKea2BrNoxReHmrNTxoDqvV6gLjEUrb0XfT4

Copper Kills Viruses on Contact

"Even in the world of medicine, what is old is new again.

Thousands of years ago, Egyptians used it to sterilize drinking water. Ancient Romans, Aztecs and Greeks also used it for medical treatments.

I am talking about copper.

The symbol for copper on the periodic chart for elements is Cu. If we are talking about germs that might mean Cu later! (C + u = “See you”)

Copper kills many germs on contact. Now it is back in hospitals to do just that.

One of the major ways we get sick is we touch surfaces out in the world, many made of metal or plastic. These surfaces are covered with germs. Germs live on poles on a train or bus. They are found on doorknobs and handles.

This is especially true in hospitals.

Bill Keevil is a microbiologist at Southampton University in Britain. He is investigating the properties of copper that kill germs — or as researchers call them, pathogens.

Keevil points to studies that compare infection rates at U.S. hospitals that use copper surfaces and those that do not.

“They found that copper alloys gave a 58 percent reduction in infection rate. So that showed, you know, that in the real world of a hospital environment, copper alloys do a great job (in preventing infection).”

In a study published in the journal mBio, Keevil and his team found that copper surfaces can quickly kill the coronavirus 229E.

You may not know coronavirus 229E by name.

But if you ever have had the common cold or the more serious pneumonia, you have been in contact with it.

The coronavirus 229E is also closely related to the pathogen that causes SARS and MERS.

Keevil explains that copper ions — electrically charged molecules — kill dangerous viruses by destroying their genetic material. Copper ions do this by interacting with oxygen and changing the oxygen molecules. As a result, the virus cells cannot mutate.

“Now these ions are able to punch holes in the cell’s membrane, enter the cell and destroy their nucleic acid. So they are completely killed. There’s no chance of mutation leading to resistance, and there’s no coming back. So the chemistry is fantastic.”

Keevil notes that ancient civilizations knew about the germ-killing properties of copper. However, they may not have understood the science behind it.

Researchers at the U.S. National Institutes of Health wrote on their website about the oldest recorded medical use of copper.

They say its use is noted in an Egyptian medical book written about 4,000 years ago.

The book describes how they used copper to sterilize wounds and drinking water.

Keevil says earlier generations of builders in the United States also knew this about copper. That is why copper alloys such as brass were often used in building materials.

But more modern builders stopped using copper and copper alloys. They cost more than other building materials.

However, Bill Keevil says copper could save hospitals money. He says their other costs of fighting infection will drop, including drugs for treatment.

More importantly, less people will get sick."

That is why door knobs are traditionally brass. Brass is mostly copper. By using a brass knob one contaminated person leaving a disease on a door knob can be mostly defeated and far less infection will be spread. Today we have forgotten this and we buy plated steel knobs that have a clear coating so as to stay shinny therefore defeating the protective benefit. Likewise, handrails and foot rails in bars were traditionally brass for killing germs. If you see grass with a patina on it then you have the good stuff and it is protecting you. If you see shinny brass it is coated, brand new, or some poor slob has had to polish it.

That is why door knobs are traditionally brass. Brass is mostly copper. By using a brass knob one contaminated person leaving a disease on a door knob can be mostly defeated and far less infection will be spread. Today we have forgotten this and we buy plated steel knobs that have a clear coating so as to stay shinny therefore defeating the protective benefit. Likewise, handrails and foot rails in bars were traditionally brass for killing germs. If you see grass with a patina on it then you have the good stuff and it is protecting you. If you see shinny brass it is coated, brand new, or some poor slob has had to polish it.
When I was a child, I had a wart on my arm. My favorite grandmother told me she would buy my wart from me. She took a penny, rubbed it on the wart and gave me the penny. That wart disappeared soon afterwards.

I know that you can buy copper bracelets. I have seen them in shops in Santa Fe, but you can surely buy them other places. I know someone who wears one all the time. It might be a good investment to get one, especially if I am in Santa Fe again.

Last edited:
You can buy copper impregnated socks, back braces, knee and elbow braces.

Silver is another anti biologic metal. You will find silver in Katadyn and Berkey filters. You can buy Collodial Silver. The expression "born with a silver spoon in your mouth" comes from silver baby spoons and their protective benefit and the fact that they were only available for the rich.

That would be me, I wear my copper and brass bracelet and ring all the time. Since I'm working with my hands a lot, if I don't wear them at work, my hands, fingers or wrists will end up hurting somehow. As a teen I also used to wear a copper bracelet for an achy wrist. I haven't been getting sick like I used to, knock on wood, but I also work in a petri dish, building up immunity to all kinds of horrible germs. lol

That would be me, I wear my copper and brass bracelet and ring all the time. Since I'm working with my hands a lot, if I don't wear them at work, my hands, fingers or wrists will end up hurting somehow. As a teen I also used to wear a copper bracelet for an achy wrist. I haven't been getting sick like I used to, knock on wood, but I also work in a petri dish, building up immunity to all kinds of horrible germs. lol
When I do certain kinds of work, such as scraping paint or wall paper off, I have to take it very slowly. An hour or two a week and I am good. A former neighbor would call me a gradualist. If I try to do a couple hours a day, I am in pain--Carpal tunnel and thorasic outlet syndrome. I have tried to push it and I always pay for it in the pain department. I think I need a copper bracelet.

One of the common anti-fungus treatments for tomato plants is copper based. Both zinc and selenium present challenges for many micro-organisms. We just have to avoid having them challenge us. The challenge can be sneaky, y'know. Like small doses of arsenic. ["Feeling a little peeked lately, Honey? Gosh, what can the matter be?"]

Colloidal Copper can be purchased for those interested. I bought some for my dad a few years ago... don't remember why.

Copper.JPG

Latest posts

Back