Copperheads - How to get rid of them?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!! There should have been full disclosure of this highly pertinent, need to know, information prior to hosting Phideaux shoots! 😬 I'm jumping around brushing the imaginary snakes of my legs right now. They could have been slithering around under my lawnchair at the campfire while I was napping that one year... :oops:

King snakes especially enjoy Colorodians.
They love to snuggle.

You probably got snuggled , while you were snoozing.

Just be glad it wasn't Copperheads.
:LOL:
Jim

While this thread has been going on. i have been in the background lurking a sewing leather
What have I been sewing on?
friend needed some snake gaiters seems his pasture is full of timber rattlers

20200819_053043.jpg

"the" build
20200816_121903.jpg20200816_193600.jpg20200817_091722.jpg20200817_130943.jpg20200817_194607.jpg20200819_034400.jpg20200818_060455.jpg

Frodo, that is awesome! How much does it cost to make those? I love it!

As for copperheads, my initial reaction is about the same to hearing a small child or infant screeching loudly: "KILL IT WITH FIRE!!"
They are beautiful creatures and not very aggressive-- guy who installed my satellite brought his kid with him & his kid literally stepped on one. It stayed coiled up but didn't attack as it realized it was undetected & wanted to keep it that way. I've been seeing what looks like cottonmouths on the road lately-- saw 2 of them. I wish I could find some king snakes to bring in though.

I remember going to a museum somewhere that had some videos to watch. Had stuff about snakes and had a nice closeup shot of a cottonmouth with it's mouth wide open so you could see the white inside. Narrator: "If you can see this, you are too close!" I was thinking "No sh**, Sherlock!"

Frodo, do you have a thread on your leatherworking stuff? I love seeing it.

Frodo, that is awesome! How much does it cost to make those? I love it!

As for copperheads, my initial reaction is about the same to hearing a small child or infant screeching loudly: "KILL IT WITH FIRE!!"
They are beautiful creatures and not very aggressive-- guy who installed my satellite brought his kid with him & his kid literally stepped on one. It stayed coiled up but didn't attack as it realized it was undetected & wanted to keep it that way. I've been seeing what looks like cottonmouths on the road lately-- saw 2 of them. I wish I could find some king snakes to bring in though.

I remember going to a museum somewhere that had some videos to watch. Had stuff about snakes and had a nice closeup shot of a cottonmouth with it's mouth wide open so you could see the white inside. Narrator: "If you can see this, you are too close!" I was thinking "No sh**, Sherlock!"

Frodo, do you have a thread on your leatherworking stuff? I love seeing it.
SORRY Zanne,just saw this
some stuff not everything In the craft.ection

5' timber rattler got run over yesterday in front of the house i cut his buttons off

20200903_112802.jpg

It took that rattler 13 years to grow that rattle.

The first summer we lived in our place between copperheads and rattlesnakes we killed 18 within 50 yards of our house. I brought a dozer home and cleared about 5 acres around the house. Every time I saw a black snake or a king snake I caught it and brought it home over the years its probably added up to at least 25 good snakes. The number of venomous snakes have dwindled over the last 13 years until this year which is the first year that we havent killed one copperhead or rattlesnake

The first summer we lived in our place between copperheads and rattlesnakes we killed 18 within 50 yards of our house. I brought a dozer home and cleared about 5 acres around the house. Every time I saw a black snake or a king snake I caught it and brought it home over the years its probably added up to at least 25 good snakes. The number of venomous snakes have dwindled over the last 13 years until this year which is the first year that we haven't killed one copperhead or rattlesnake
That is so scary! 18 snakes in one year! Think of the snakes you didn't see!

Think of the well fed king and black snakes! good snakes! I love them.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this method but take the above mentioned minnow trap and bait it for mice. Put some nesting material in the trap for the mice and keep it in a protected area. The mice attract the snakes that will work to get i the trap to get to them. The government is using this method on the brown tree snakes in Guam and I've used it for rattlesnakes, copperheads and non venomous snakes. Hope your problem is gone.

You can try buying some inexpensive bird netting. I used it one year to cover my strawberries and found five snakes tangled in it. Now I staple it on to cover the rabbit colony and it works great. I just keep garden loppers handy and chop their heads off- wait one whole day- and come back and cut them out.

The only problem is the netting doesn’t differentiate between a friend snake and a foe snake, but I don’t want either in there so it works for me.

Latest posts

Back