Costs Are Spiraling Out of Control

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
http://charleshughsmith.blogspot.com/2019/12/costs-are-spiraling-out-of-control.html

Costs Are Spiraling Out of Control

And how do we pay for these spiraling out of control costs? By borrowing more, of course.

If we had to choose one "big picture" reason why the vast majority of households are losing ground, it would be: the costs of essentials are spiraling out of control. I've often covered the dynamics of stagnating income for the bottom 90%, and real-world inflation, i.e. a decline in purchasing power.

But neither of these dynamics fully describes the relentless upward spiral of the cost basis of our economy, that is, the cost of big-ticket essentials: housing, education and healthcare.
The costs of education are spiraling out of control, stripping households of income as an entire generation is transformed into debt-serfs by student loan debt. The soaring costs of healthcare are a core driver of higher costs in the education complex (and government in general), and to cover these higher costs, counties raise property taxes, which add additional cost burdens to households and enterprises as rents rise.
Rising rents push the cost structure of almost every enterprise and agency higher.

Then there's the asset inflation created by central bank ZIRP (zero interest rate policy) which has inflated a second echo-bubble in housing that has pushed home ownership out of reach of many, adding demand for rental housing that has pushed rents into the stratosphere in Left and Right Coast cities.

The increasing dominance of monopolies and cartels has eliminated competition in sector after sector. Monopolies and cartels skim immense profits even as the value, quality and quantity of their products and services decline: The U.S. Only Pretends to Have Free Markets From plane tickets to cellphone bills, monopoly power costs American consumers billions of dollars a year.

Thanks to their political influence, monopolies and cartels have legalized looting, raising prices and evading anti-trust regulations because they can pay whatever it takes in our pay-to-play political system.

Let's look at a few charts that illustrate the relentless rise in costs:

wages-costs2-19.jpg

Do you reckon these two charts are connected--soaring costs and ballooning administrative payrolls?
sickcare.jpg

Student loan debt is soaring above $1.5 trillion, guaranteeing profits to lenders and debt-serfdom to the students exiting with degrees that are in over-supply, i.e. possessing little scarcity value in an over-credentialed economy:
student-loans7-19a.png

The echo housing bubbles in many locales exceed the nosebleed valuations of the previous bubble:
Case-Shiller-SF11-26-19a.png

And how do we pay for these spiraling out of control costs? By borrowing more, of course:
TCMDO2-19.png

Even at low rates of interest, the cost of servicing skyrocketing debt increases, leaving less net income to support additional borrowing.

What will it take to radically reduce the cost basis of our economy? A fundamental re-ordering that breaks up all the cartels and monopolies that push prices higher even as they deliver lower quality goods and services would be a good start.

Been a while , but when I walk thru the grocery store isles , shaking my head, and mumbling, just loud enough for my wife to hear me,..." I refuse to pay $6 for 5 tiny candy bars, thats a rip off"

Wife goes shopping more than I do....so she just comes behind me and gets that 5 pack for $6...and don't tell me till it's home, cause she knew I wanted it.:dunno:

Oh well..the SS says my cost living only went up 1.6% in past year..... I guess they know best.:sarcasm:

Jim

Last edited:
No doubt. First they raise the price, then they shrink the product, then they add more air to package, then they raise the price again. And all because they have to make their investors a 1.9 gazillion dollars of pure profit instead of 1.8 gazillion dollars.

We are constantly telling people to get out of debt if they can do so. We found that being debt free and money wise, we can do things that many others can't do because of being bound with debt. How many people that are smoking cigarettes, complain about not having enough spending money? It blows my mind to see what just one pack of cigarettes costs, it would pay for a trip to town and back in my 88' Samurai.

Central banks are diddling the cpi figures by not including the cost of food and energy into their reckoning.

I go to John Williams Shadow stats to get real figures which tallies with my own experience with food shrink-flation
and rising electricity costs.

Finally getting debt free has been key to getting ready for whatever is coming.
I have proven that I'm a good adapter and a survivor.
Maybe it all happened as a hardener and a proving ground.
Who knows.
Best to be grateful for the teaching moments I guess.

I try to always be grateful for the lessons and opportunities learn :) (I have to say some of them suck)
I do too. The one thing my first wife taught me was how to have a great job and still live in poverty.
After I found freedom, I did nothing but work and pay off loans for the next 9 months. Hard lesson, but it stuck.
Then I found out that a house is built one brick at a time.
Someone has to place that first brick, and it looks nothing like a house:rolleyes:.
But brick by brick, you can build security.
And it is totally AWESOME to see it decades later:D. But you have to have the spine to lay that first brick.

@viking , you should price a carton:eek:.

Last edited:
Been a while , but when I walk thru the grocery store isles , shaking my head, and mumbling, just loud enough for my wife to hear me,..." I refuse to pay $6 for 5 tiny candy bars, thats a rip off"

Wife goes shopping more than I do....so she just comes behind me and gets that 5 pack for $6...and don't tell me till it's home, cause she knew I wanted it.:dunno:

Oh well..the SS says my cost living only went up 1.6% in past year..... I guess they know best.:sarcasm:

Jim

Jim glad your wife 'trick and treats you'. We women try to take care of you guys.

I do too. The one thing my first wife taught me was how to have a great job and still live in poverty.
After I found freedom, I did nothing but work and pay off loans for the next 9 months. Hard lesson, but it stuck.
Then I found out that a house is built one brick at a time.
Someone has to place that first brick, and it looks nothing like a house:rolleyes:.
But brick by brick, you can build security.
And it is totally AWESOME to see it decades later:D. But you have to have the the spine to lay that first brick.

@viking , you should price a carton:eek:.

Super, your story sounds like mine back when I was 19-21. Young, stupid, and in lust. Blinded me to how badly I was being manipulated. Even after I made my way into a decent paying job, still had no money, checks started bouncing, extra fees. Took me a while to figure out she was gambling. Took even longer to get the debt payed off after I got rid of her.

... Took even longer to get the debt payed off after I got rid of her.
Like @dademoss said, those lessons suck, but are worth every penny and last a lifetime.
Once I got my head above water I swore my checking account balance would never go below $600 (that was a lot of money for a single guy back in '81).

It never did:).

Super, your story sounds like mine back when I was 19-21. Young, stupid, and in lust. Blinded me to how badly I was being manipulated. Even after I made my way into a decent paying job, still had no money, checks started bouncing, extra fees. Took me a while to figure out she was gambling. Took even longer to get the debt payed off after I got rid of her.

Like @dademoss said, those lessons suck, but are worth every penny and last a lifetime.
Once I got my head above water I swore my checking account balance would never go below $600 (that was a lot of money for a single guy back in '81).

It never did:).

Well guys looks like yall got the female form of what I got my first go round at 17. I got the kids though and really lucked up with this one been together for almost 42 years.. Glad we all survived them.

Sounds like youth may have played a large part in these?? Luckily the ex and I had no kids.
Indeed it did. But much better to have that lesson at a young age than later in life.
What's that old phrase, "the fire must be really hot to forge the strongest steel"?
I too was fortunate to have no kids also.

And glad you posted the term "in lust" so I didn't have to:rolleyes:.
@Sentry18 , Sorry for dragging this off-topic.
On topic: at least gas is cheap:D.

Indeed it did. But much better to have that lesson at a young age than later in life.
What's that old phrase, "the fire must be really hot to forge the strongest steel"?
I too was fortunate to have no kids also.

And glad you posted the term "in lust" so I didn't have to:rolleyes:.
@Sentry18 , Sorry for dragging this off-topic.
On topic: at least gas is cheap:D.

SuperV. Hubby and I raised them right I guess turned out to be good adults. Not complaining about having them just the rough road we went down but it made up stronger I guess.

Interesting what they list as necessities: house, education, and healthcare. A house yes, and yes they have increased in price but also in square footage! We know as we struggled to find a small house that wasn't a 1952 rundown drug house. Next education - free! A high school diploma is meaningless if they give it to people who can't spell the days of the week - and yes I know of such an individual. Libraries are free and as an employer, our best employee has a HSD only. We have had college/certified folks who can't figure it out. Colleges are now certifying/passing folks just so they get the $$$. And lastly, funny they call it healthcare - wrong. Call it what it is Insurance fraud. Insurance is not a necessity; however, people don't want to be responsible for their own health as a result would rather pay large sums for a drug to counter their unhealthy ways. (I know there are exceptions. I'm speaking in general.)
Food which isn't mentioned, is a necessity. If one cooks at home, healthy meals, it is still within reason. It irks me when I see folks on "food stamps" with a basket full of frozen burritos, French fries, microwaveable meals, etc. A bag of spuds, a whole chicken and a few veggies cost a lot less, goes further, and is far healthier. These folks often have purple hair, nail polish, cell phones, smoke etc. It's a matter of priorities.
Okay, stepping off of soapbox:)

I wonder how many of these people who are having trouble making ends meet also have two + SUV's; Cable television with all of the premium channels; internet; at least one cell phone per person with unlimited texting and internet; enough tattoos to make the cartographers at National Geographic proud; eat out 5 nights a week; and go to every movie that is released. Did I miss anything.

I wonder how many of these people who are having trouble making ends meet also have two + SUV's; Cable television with all of the premium channels; internet; at least one cell phone per person with unlimited texting and internet; enough tattoos to make the cartographers at National Geographic proud; eat out 5 nights a week; and go to every movie that is released. Did I miss anything.

I know there are some working folks who struggle, but many are just as you said.

We're not 22 trillion in dept for nothing.

I can empathize with those who found financial security after ending a marriage. I was married to an addict for thirteen years. I only knew about her addiction for the last three.
That nearly cost me my home and my kids. After that I had managed to keep a $5000 balance in my checking until my accident with an uninsured driver of her friends car. I was prepared, only because I had been saving for retirement. Two 401Ks and most of my money before I was put on disability. Then my insurance kicked in; mortgage, disability and SS all kicked in at about the same time. My uninsured motorist only covered the first two months of my medical bills and I got shoved around because of that but my wife helped out and took good care of me. Some of my friends did some of the jobs I was in the middle of around the house and surprised me with the results.
Today my wife and I have moved to a better place and own the house outright. We have stabilized our income and the checking account is above $5000 again and the savings is higher than that by a good margin. It grows every month and will continue for as long as I can do it. We have our little garden and we can all we are able to. I can still kill a deer that waits for me to take a shot and fish are abundant. When there is a good sale we take advantage of it and freeze some, can some, and eat some. My wife has some ongoing problems with cancer, she just got home Tuesday from her third surgery so we still have some expenses but I am keeping us above water.
Our new insurance goes into effect in January so that will reduce the out of pocket money by a considerable amount.
I am very thankful for my prepping education and foresight that my wife shares. I am thankful for the abundance in my life and for the many friendships I have. (including family)
I am a happy man but not yet satisfied so it looks like I will be around for a while yet.

Our Kroger ad had NO GOOD SALES this week. Except grapes at 88 cents a lb. Nothing in their clearance vegetable area, either.
I have never seen veggies on clearance.

@Terri9630 Do you have Ross where you are. Sheets etc. are far less expensive there.

I have never seen veggies on clearance.

@Terri9630 Do you have Ross where you are. Sheets etc. are far less expensive there.
No. I have to go to the city for that. I'm going to El Paso Fri/Sat and Abq Sun so I may check there if I have time.

Kroger usually bags fruit and veggies that are overripe or have a blemish. They put them in a mesh bag and charge 99 cents for it. Like a whole head of cauliflower, or 5 apples, or 6 tomatoes, or 4 zucchini. A lot of that goes in the dehydrator.
That would be awesome!

Terri...there's a Ross on Coors or a Big Lots near me on Hwy 528. Big Lots has lots of bedding for cheap.
Depending on how the kid is doing after her bloodwork I may visit there. 16hr fasting bloodwork so she may not be feeling to good.

A lot of it is your "image". I live in a 1k square foot apartment in a 100 year old building. It ain't much, but my monthly total expenses are less than most pay just for rent - by far. I don't have cable TV. No wi-fi, drives my kid nuts. Oh well. I (mostly) eat cheap, although my daughter and I do eat out a fair amount. I spend money for durable clothes, not fashionable clothes. I've never bought a car for more than $18,500 and I put a big down payment and paid it off in 26 months. And, my credit card balance is about $340. I'll pay it off this month. Now, I have a solid blue collar job that pays pretty well, but the point is I live inside my means. And guessing by the other posts here, so do most of you. It's great to see like minded people who don't care so much about Keeping up with the Joneses. Makes me feel at home...

Oh, BTW...my child support is almost 1k a month. Guess who has a year's worth of child support payments stashed in the bank, just in case? This guy...:lil guy:

Good for you, Spike. I do think a lot of us here live within or beneath our means. That's a good thing. We don't have any of the fancy cable, either. I have a flip phone. Telling our adult kids we'll be cancelling Netflix when we move, and they'll have to buy their own. They say they hate adulting. I really hate that word.

Latest posts

Back