Cougar. I want one.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know I can own one with a permit, but where can I buy a cub? I want to hand raise it.

Check with law enforcement first. There's a fair chance it ain't legal to own a cougar.
Totally legal here. a Neighbor a few miles away had tigers and a poor old toothless lion.
Meh, probably couldn't afford to feed it. Maybe a kerakl?

We had a 25 lb Maine Coon, he would answer the door with me. There was one vet, and one vet tech he would let touch him. Anybody other than them and family, "Dont"

1657396800989.jpeg

We had a 25 lb Maine Coon, he would answer the door with me. There was one vet, and one vet tech he would let touch him. Anybody other than them and family, "Dont"

View attachment 89470
Never met a Maine Coon, but I've been told stories. One I heard 2nd hand: The guy's Maine Coon went out for a walk, and was attacked by a fisher. He killed it, and brought it home to show his human. The cat was cut up some, he had to take it to their vet, but nothing serious.

I had a Maine coon once, her descendants are in the hood to this day.
She used to beat up dogs for kicks. BIG dogs like Doberman pincers and
Chows! One day she drug in a chihuahua. and she became a house cat.
Her and Ma Wildcat could have been soul mates!

I had a Maine coon once, her descendants are in the hood to this day.
She used to beat up dogs for kicks. BIG dogs like Doberman pincers and
Chows! One day she drug in a chihuahua. and she became a house cat.
Her and Ma Wildcat could have been soul mates!
The cats&dogs story is constantly being rewritten. Brother Gordie and family used to live next door to us. they had an only slightly larger-than-average white, long-haired cat, who enjoyed riding in my pickup, decimating the local pigeon population, and ambushing dogs that strayed into his yard. By jumping on the dog's back and digging in.

Last edited:
Magus, I've known, from experience since I was not much more than a toddler, that domestic cats are people too. A wide range of personalities, if given the freedom to grow them.

We like our local cougars being where they are, hopefully anyone trying to sneak down from the road up above will have to deal with one of our northern guards, I'd love to see that, some bad guy looking down from behind a tree when a cat comes up and chomps him on the rear. I have been fortunate over the years of hiking up on the mountain behind us, not to have had any encounters with the local cats, some of whom have been very large.

Years ago I had a friend who had an Ocelot (I think?) from South America, it was about as big as a good sized Beagle when I knew him. No idea if it was legal or not, but one night some homeboy decided to help himself to some of my buddy's stuff and slipped in a window. and stepped on the cat! the guy got away, but there was blood and hunks of clothing all over the place, it was a mess!

Look who's back! Ma Wildcat! Her and Shredder liked me enough to stow away with me when I left the wood lot, but good luck ever petting her! I dozed off and went to sleep, when suddenly I felt this heavy weight, I'm guessing maybe twenty pounds! and as I reached for the 44, I opened my eyes to see...

feed me slave..jpg

Now if she'll ever learn to meow instead of "Raah!" Dumb thing is, I understand her!

Look who's back! Ma Wildcat! Her and Shredder liked me enough to stow away with me when I left the wood lot, but good luck ever petting her! I dozed off and went to sleep, when suddenly I felt this heavy weight, I'm guessing maybe twenty pounds! and as I reached for the 44, I opened my eyes to see...

View attachment 89923

Now if she'll ever learn to meow instead of "Raah!" Dumb thing is, I understand her!
she looks almost exactly like our kitty, @Magus She likes to mess with the dog, sniffs the dog's feet when dog is napping.

That's actually not her, but close. she's under the sink hissing when my regular cats go by.

Latest posts

Back