Country Living

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nearest Dominoes is 50 miles from me...lol. Nearest Lowes hardware is 150 miles from me.

Once we move the closest "fast food" will be 90 miles, same with hospital. There is a subscription service for a couple of air ambulance companies in the area. $150 per year to subscribe to both and they will take our ins pmt as pmt in full.

Once we move the closest "fast food" will be 90 miles, same with hospital. There is a subscription service for a couple of air ambulance companies in the area. $150 per year to subscribe to both and they will take our ins pmt as pmt in full.

Sounds pretty cheap. If you ever need it, even only once, it would pay to have it. If you never need it, it's supporting a good thing for others.

Sounds pretty cheap. If you ever need it, even only once, it would pay to have it. If you never need it, it's supporting a good thing for others.

I think its a wonderful thing and is available in many parts of the country. PHI Air Medical and Air Methods are the ones we have.

... I have those moments when I am stressed and want an easier life...

With 43 years of dealing with the public I agree with Mark Twain. "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

On retirement my goal was to sell out and then purchase an off grid house in the middle of a desert down southern Arizona way. Go into town once a month for supplies. A daughter accused me of wanting to become a Hermit.

Wife (she is a people person) started crying about how she now had her dream house..family and friends...

With 43 years of dealing with the public I agree with Mark Twain. "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

On retirement my goal was to sell out and then purchase an off grid house in the middle of a desert down southern Arizona way. Go into town once a month for supplies. A daughter accused me of wanting to become a Hermit.

Wife (she is a people person) started crying about how she now had her dream house..family and friends...

LOL!!

Yup, life is what happens while we're off making other plans. :)

We have that same option from the hospital in Savannah Tennessee. It costs us $100/year for both of us. It's about a 30 minute drive from here, but a major hospital is about 200 miles from here.

Things I miss since moving to the country: Pizza delivery, cable internet, good customer service
things I don't miss: Traffic jams, no privacy, suburbia,

I grew up in the city and the country. I loved both lifestyles.

I love the big city of Atlanta till it turned into a ghetto of crime. I will always miss the city life and The Varsity Chili Burger and the greasiest french fries in the south. I at least have the country life so guess one out of two ain't bad.

We have a nice little 5 acre spread with a cabin on a remote AK river snowmobile or boat access only. Because of my job I'm able to spend summer times there with the Grandkids. My Grandson told me "I love coming here with you and Grandma" . Later on he said "The cabin feels like home". Nothing more needs to be said.

Lazy L, that is my exact plan when the wife passes. She plans to head back to Oregon if I pass first. Next year she will plan on buying a mobile home and rent to our son up in Oregon. I am searching for desert land. We will love each other now but also plan for moving forward in life when the time comes.

We have a nice little 5 acre spread with a cabin on a remote AK river snowmobile or boat access only. Because of my job I'm able to spend summer times there with the Grandkids. My Grandson told me "I love coming here with you and Grandma" . Later on he said "The cabin feels like home". Nothing more needs to be said.

Grandkids are wonderful but they grow up and have lives of their own and their time is divided with the family of whoever they marry. So visits get less and less as they have kids and move or only one side gets to have a family. Some of ours are in Texas,some in Georgia. We still get visits but not as often or as long.
And since many families now don't have but one parent usually the mother our children are left to raise or help raise their grandkids in a couple of cases.
The family is under attack and very few of us are not affected. Sorcery ' aka pharmakia in Greek' has taken over this nation both legal and illegal . Young people do not feel like they have much of a future now.

I grew up in the city, but I would never change the country living for a big city nightmare again. But it depends on each individual - there is no "right"and "wrong"; Something that fits me might not necessary fits you. For me - I started my own country business (home renovations) and just try to keep it going :)

I have lived in both the city and the country.
Also in many countries, yep Army Brat.
I prefer the country for a different kind of quite.
Place for my Strawberry to be able to run, bark at squirrels without anyone filling a complaint.
Will it happen, don't know.
My dream is house is an old fashion Barn.
Then when my mom says "Weren't raised in barn".
I can honestly say but I live in one now.

I live on the farm where I was born. My mother was picking cotton the morning she went into labor with me. My grandfather came here before 1910. His older brother owned the farm then. As a teenager I couldn’t wait to leave here. In my life I’ve lived or worked in more than 40 states and more than a dozen countries. I was a rolling stone, couldn’t wait to see what was over the next hill.

I’ve been back here about 20 years, would love to travel some but can’t. At this point in my life it is comforting to walk paths that my family has walked for more than 100 years. Every where I look I see signs of my fathers labor, my grandfathers labor... to make this a better place. When I was a kid there was an old beech tree that my great uncle had carved his initials in. He came here about 1880. The beech is gone now but I remember the spot where it grew.

Last edited:
I lived in the city for most of my life. Took a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and fell in love with the area. I would go there on vacations and extended weekends looking for the "perfect" place. It took me 4 years to find it, then traveled every weekend for 2 years getting it in shape, then an opening came up within the university where I could apply for a job up there and got it. I moved up here permanently 12 years ago and would never go back to the city. My area which consists of 4 small towns has a population of 438. I travel 45 minutes to work and am getting ready to retire.

I live on the farm where I was born. My mother was picking cotton the morning she went into labor with me. My grandfather came here before 1910. His older brother owned the farm then. As a teenager I couldn’t wait to leave here. In my life I’ve lived or worked in more than 40 states and more than a dozen countries. I was a rolling stone, couldn’t wait to see what was over the next hill.

I’ve been back here about 20 years, would love to travel some but can’t. At this point in my life it is comforting to walk paths that my family has walked for more than 100 years. Every where I look I see signs of my fathers labor, my grandfathers labor... to make this a better place. When I was a kid there was an old beech tree that my great uncle had carved his initials in. He came here about 1880. The beech is gone now but I remember the spot where it grew.

Beautiful story Peanut. I must have passed by this one before. Or forgot I read it,haha.

I grew up in the city, but I would never change the country living for a big city nightmare again. But it depends on each individual - there is no "right"and "wrong"; Something that fits me might not necessary fits you. For me - I started my own country business (home renovations) and just try to keep it going :)

In the 60 and 70s Atlanta was not a nightmare 'yet'. It was a beautiful American cultural city full of safe fun things to do. But it started changing into a liberal ruled unsafe multicultural diverse hellhole full of crime,hate and sickness.
I could go to the show with my girlfriend in mid downtown and take the last midnight bus home at 11 yr old without fear or danger. Even the bus drivers back then watched out for us kids. The city was clean and vibrant with people. Till the communist came in and changed everything especially morals. Nothing is free including sex or love. Like the song says that kind of ' freedom ' " freedoms just another word for nothing else to lose ". I use to sing that one pretty good,lol. Now I can't even do a good Happy BDay.

I lived in the city for most of my life. Took a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and fell in love with the area. I would go there on vacations and extended weekends looking for the "perfect" place. It took me 4 years to find it, then traveled every weekend for 2 years getting it in shape, then an opening came up within the university where I could apply for a job up there and got it. I moved up here permanently 12 years ago and would never go back to the city. My area which consists of 4 small towns has a population of 438. I travel 45 minutes to work and am getting ready to retire.
@Debra Beeuwsaert Do you know Haypoint? He's a homesteader and lives on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Grandkids are wonderful but they grow up and have lives of their own and their time is divided with the family of whoever they marry. So visits get less and less as they have kids and move or only one side gets to have a family. Some of ours are in Texas,some in Georgia. We still get visits but not as often or as long.
And since many families now don't have but one parent usually the mother our children are left to raise or help raise their grandkids in a couple of cases.
The family is under attack and very few of us are not affected. Sorcery ' aka pharmakia in Greek' has taken over this nation both legal and illegal . Young people do not feel like they have much of a future now.
I agree and intend to fight the family breakdown as long as I can. 37 years of marriage and my kids are married and stable. So far so good with a couple of the grandkids. We'll wait and see. I know I drifted from my grandparents when I got to a certain age after having spent a lot of my younger years with them. I appreciated them even more when I got older.

I grew up not too far from Bremerton, Washington in a woodsy area, lived in Seattle long enough to dislike it thoroughly, same with living in the Denver area and after my wife and I were married we moved to the mountains west of Denver in a community called Conifer, at 8,100 ft. elevation, we loved living there but we saw that things were growing too fast. We got a taste of Texas living in White Deer and running a Conoco station in Pampa, once we had enough of that we move here to S.W. Oregon five miles from a small lumber mill town of about 1,500 people, larger towns are 50,60 and 30 miles away. We consider this area paradise, we constantly have wildlife around, mainly deer and wild turkeys, but occasionally elk, cougar and once and awhile, bald eagles. Our son and his significant other know that our place is where to go when and if the SHTF, he knows all the back routes.

Sorry if I missed your introduction Debra ,
But you sure are welcome,

I have been to the UP many times ,many years ago,

Powers MI,
Escanaba ,

All I remember is COLD and SNOW.

and that little puddle jumper airplane hat got me there..

Good old days,

Welcome from KY,

:welcome:

Jim

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed your introduction Debra ,
But you sure are welcome,

I have been to the UP many times ,many years ago,

Powers MI,
Escanaba ,

All I remeber is COD and SNOW.

and that little puddle jumper airplae hat got me there..

Good old days,

Welcome from KY,

:welcome:

Jim

I missed it too. I usually check intros everyday but missed this one.

I don't get on a lot due to working FT, having my almost 86 yr old mother with the start of dementia living with me, and all of the homesteading chores. I was going to retire at the end of June, but my boss retired and a new one is not due here until mid-August and he wants me to stay to show him the ropes. So hopefully by the winter or next year at the latest, I will retire. Also have had issues with neighbor who claims he owns part of my garage, so it's court time (falls under a grandfather clause as well as the adverse possession law). It all started as his chow has attacked my dog once again (3 times with this one and twice with the other, also another neighbor's dog was attacked) so this is his retaliation. I still can sue him for personal injury as one time I had to stand between my dog and the chow, my dog was so afraid as she had only been attacked two weeks prior, she pulled me so hard trying to get to the door, that I fell and got mallet finger. So this guy has never paid a cent for vet bills or my hospital and dr bills. So now I'm at this full force. Sorry for the rant.

I don't get on a lot due to working FT, having my almost 86 yr old mother with the start of dementia living with me, and all of the homesteading chores. I was going to retire at the end of June, but my boss retired and a new one is not due here until mid-August and he wants me to stay to show him the ropes. So hopefully by the winter or next year at the latest, I will retire. Also have had issues with neighbor who claims he owns part of my garage, so it's court time (falls under a grandfather clause as well as the adverse possession law). It all started as his chow has attacked my dog once again (3 times with this one and twice with the other, also another neighbor's dog was attacked) so this is his retaliation. I still can sue him for personal injury as one time I had to stand between my dog and the chow, my dog was so afraid as she had only been attacked two weeks prior, she pulled me so hard trying to get to the door, that I fell and got mallet finger. So this guy has never paid a cent for vet bills or my hospital and dr bills. So now I'm at this full force. Sorry for the rant.

Rant away! That's what we're here for.

There are times when I want to give up and go back to my old life. Do you ever think or say that? I have those moments when I am stressed and want an easier life. Than common sense or the Holy Spirit comes onto me and reminds me that it is NOT easier by a long shot! I do feel safer here even though during hunting season I am uneasy that one of us or our animals will get shot, by accident of course, but we are surrounded by the state forest.

It is also much cheaper and less interference by others here. We can basically do what we want or so far we can and have. After hunting season is over, if there is not much snow, it will be very quiet day and night till spring. If there is snow, snowmobiles will be here since our road is listed as a snowmobile trail. Last year I think one day only had a few snowmobiles. We had snow though.

Since I wrote this post, I have as many of you know from other threads, I have left this homesteading life behind. It was not an easy decision to make because I was leaving not only the lifestyle, but my horses, cat and husband. I thought about not being the one to leave, but it would have been a hardship on me to keep that place going. Many times I thought about just taking the horses and moving to another country property but I really could not afford to do that. So I had to give up my beloved horses, cat, my raised garden beds, which I dearly loved. I miss that the most, but last year I was not able to do that by myself any longer. So done with that and the whole life. Not sure about what will happen there but I needed to get out. Sometimes you can only make one choice and it hurts someone else but it is the right for yourself. So I did that and now am trying hard to turn my life around. I am happy in my new place and yes, it is in a city, a small one that is really very nice. So I think I will adjust. Sometimes though, I want to be in a forest with my cat like I used to. Especially when I had things on my mind or needed to write. The forest has always been my special place and I can't say I didn't love living in it because I did. Yes, I do miss it.

Latest posts

Back