Country Wine

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only experience with wine making was my early days as a Corrections Officer. Apparently you need a toilet, some apple juice, and a slice of white bread. :)

I am interested to see what people have to say in response to your post however.

I wish I could help ya, other than being your taste tester.
I am dumb on making wine, but a friend of mine is good at it...he makes Blackberry wine that is ooolala incredible.

I would love to try Plum wine.

Somebody that knows ....help this man:cool::)

Jim

I wish I could help ya, other than being your taste tester.
I am dumb on making wine, but a friend of mine is good at it...he makes Blackberry wine that is ooolala incredible.

I would love to try Plum wine.

Somebody that knows ....help this man:cool::)

Jim
BlackBerry wine sounds delicious. Will have to make some.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe any more. As I recall it is pretty much like making beer except that at the end you decant it into bottles.

There are supply stores that sale books, supplies for wine & beer, ale & mend.

Yes but they are also available at the library, and most other bookstores

Our son made kiwano wine last year, which ended in the "great volcanic wine explosion" in a walk in closet where I keep gifts. It was a disaster. He tried it again, and I guess it turned out. I think the problem was when he was fermenting, he didn't use a 6 gallon carboy, he used a 5, so there wasn't room for expansion, and he didn't use an airlock thingy that is used with beer brewing. So don't do those things.
AND....happy wedding anniversary to you, both!!!!

Here's a Recipe for you: Remove the Pits from 4 Gal. of Plums, before they become mushy crush them in a Crock or Food Grade Bucket, and pour 5 1/2 Gal of warm (not Hot) water over them. Stir for a few minutes then let it sit for 6 Hrs. Press out the Juice and set it aside until the next Day, now stir in 15 lbs. of Sugar and 2 oz. of Cream of Tarter. Start Fermentation with Wine Yeast. During this process keep suspended in the Liquid the Kernels from One Gal of the Fruit. Water Seal when the Violent stage has passed, Bottle after Four Months. During the Violent Stage keep the Crock or Bucket covered with a Towel after which you can transfer the Liquid to a Carboy and Water Seal.

I only make country wine from frozen concentrate, never had enough fruit to try anything real. Based on my experiments through the years, this looks like how I would try it: https://homebrewacademy.com/how-to-make-plum-wine/

Lowes sells a 2 gallon bucket for a primary fermenter and has a lid for it, drill a hole for your airlock and go to town.

My secondary is cleaned 1 gallon glass jug.

I have never used Tannin, acid or yeast nutrient, experiment away :)

I like Lavlin EC-1118 yeast (it's not a sedate and calm yeast, make sure you don't get a mess from fermentation, like put the 2 gallon bucket into a 5 gallon bucket) and back sweeten to taste when finished.

The rest of the program looks ok, but I bottle into cleaned 2 liter soda bottles and drink. If its too dry, add some sugar and shake to dissolve till you like it.

I'm about ready to bottle 5 gallons of mead. My favorite recipe is 5 pounds each of buckwheat, wildflower and clover honey in about 4.5 gallons of spring water with Lalvin EC-1118 yeast so it comes out very dry.

Last year, I made a good batch of cyzer. It's mead made with apple cider rather than water. I used Lalvin D47 yeast for that. For that matter, hard cider is also very easy to make. Again, I'd suggest the D47 yeast for cider.

Wine is really easy to make. Get a batch of something started now and you'll have tasty, inexpensive gifts by Christmas. :)

When I used to make wine I used 4 cups of chopped or crushed fruit, 1/2 tsp wine yeast, and 3 cups sugar per gallon of water. Boil and cool the water first. Sterilized all utensils. Stir every day. When you stir it will bubble up so leave a couple inches of space between the wine and the top of the jar. Once it stops working pour it into another sterile jar leaving the sediment behind. Once it settles again you'll see a little bit more sediment. At that point I poured it into a sterile wine jug and put a ballon with holes poked into it on top. Let it work about 20-30 days more. But you can drink it after about a week.

Other things to note are:
Remove the fruit after about a week. Squeeze out any juice and add to your wine.

Adding 1/2 c - 1 c raisins adds a little more body to the wine.

Cover the jar with cheese cloth to keep dust and fruit flies out.

No one can really drink jalapeno wine. If they aren't on the floor crying, you will watch as sweat breaks out on their face while they try in vain to pretend it's not that hot.

Latest posts

Back