Cow Pond

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a spring fed pond for cattle. Dad had it built sometime in the 80's. Now I have to fix the pond! That boy who ran cattle here the last 3 years didn’t fix a fence or bush hog a weed in a pasture. Should have known he wasn’t keeping the pond’s spillway pipe clear of debris. The spillway pipe stopped up, my best guess is last summer. I came down here this past Oct. to check the pond but got distracted by a dead cow I found in the main creek. I found this damage a couple of weeks ago.

My cousin came up today to look the situation over, he has an excavating business. There are a number of impediments to this repair.

1) The main creek has to be crossed to get to the pond. The main creek is fed/starts by 3 other springs just up the holler. The ditch the main creek flows through is about 8ft deep.

2) Getting to the pond from any direction requires going down very steep hills first, then crossing the creek. By steep I mean steep enough to roll a tractor if I’m not careful.

3) Going to need a load of clay to do the repair... which means getting it across the creek also.

We decided to put in a temporary spillway to lower the water level below that of the wash out. Maybe 8" flex pipe of some type. Then let the area dry out for a few months. We usually get dry weather in June and August, that’s when we’ll attempt to repair the dam.

The temp spillway... a) get a big trachoe to dig it or b) find a couple of young guys to dig it by hand. "B" is my choice, if I can find 2 guys willing to do physical labor (hard to do these days). Choice "A" means getting equipment across the holler twice.

That's the situation and the plan... unless someone has a better idea?

Cow Pond  1 a.JPG
Cow Pond  2 a.JPG
Cow Pond  3 a.JPG

Is it possible to cross over above the springs?

Could you put a large pipe in the stream bed and build a temporary road across the stream? Take it out after the repair is done.

How about a siphon the lower the pond level to avoid the digging?

Use a pump to lower the pond level?

Build a dam to catch the stream flow and pump/pipe the water beyond the pond?

More pictures may help us understand the challenges.

Ben

I have 2 portable pumps in the shop. I do plan to use both, a 2" and a 1". Not a problem to drop the water level while putting in a temporary spillway. Sorry, left that out of my original description.

A temporary culvert in the main creek is doable but not necessary if my cousin uses his bulldozer or big track hoe. Both can cross the creek without a temp bridge. But if my cousin decides to use his 2wd back hoe it will be necessary, it can't get across without help.

Today my cousin and I walked over every inch of the ridges on both sides of the main creek discussing possible routes to the pond. There are 5, each as bad as the others. There is no good way to get there.

He left here to think on it for a few days and come up with a final plan. And find me a couple young guys who don't mind spending an afternoon digging with shovels to put in the temporary spillway.

I know nothing about how this pond was constructed (or any pond for that matter). I was in the Navy at the time... and dad is 88yrs old. His memory is iffy on a good day. Today I couldn't get him to focus on the pond, he kept trying to talk about a guy who cut some timber years ago :(.

I am not familiar with the details of dirt.

5hat is why I lean toward taking it out. Only a manner of time before a deluge takes it out.

Ben

Yep , that's why I said...if the flow is good ... leave it ..not knowing the flow of the creek.

I had to concrete mine in to allow for flooding.

Maybe it don't flood.

Jim

Latest posts

Back