Cranberry recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this in a family group where we share all things about family. This is a recipe from a family member.
The recipe says butter, but no clue of how much. I wonder if the raisins could be omitted and more cranberries used instead.

Mock Cherry Pie

3 cups cranberries
3/4 c. raisins, washed
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
butter
Boil together, cool and pour into crust. Cover with lattice crust and bake. Use 1/3 as much lard as flour for pie crust.
View attachment 100410

Probably dot with a few table spoons of butter before the top crust is added. My guess is that by eliminating the raisins, you will get a cranberry sauce pie and not the mock cherry effect.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes...-LHtzoTKrV1AbkoCtVc8YYuuRFTo1eZWLM6pjZldb2bl8
Cranberry Curd Tart
By David Tanis
Total Time 1½ hours Rating (7,868)
INGREDIENTS
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
FOR THE HAZELNUT CRUST
1¼ cups/180 grams raw hazelnuts
1 cup/125 grams rice flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup/112 grams sugar
6 tablespoons/100 grams softened butter, more as necessary

(2 cups of almond flour will work instead of the hazelnuts and rice flour. You can add a little arrowroot flour or cornstarch. Or use half almond flour and half cup-4-cup.)

FOR THE CRANBERRY CURD
12 ounces/340 grams cranberries
1 cup/225 grams sugar
Peel (orange part only) and juice of 1 orange (about ½ cup)
4 ounces/113 grams softened butter (1 stick)
2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks

PREPARATION
Step 1

Make the crust:
Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Put hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until skins darken and crack. Put roasted nuts in a clean towel and rub off skins. Discard skins and let nuts cool.

Step 2 In a food processor, grind nuts with half the rice flour until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add remaining rice flour and salt and pulse briefly.

Step 3 Cream sugar and butter in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon for a minute or two until pale and thick. Add nut mixture and combine until dough comes together. If it seems crumbly, add 1 to 2 tablespoons softened butter or a little cold water.

Step 4 Press dough evenly into a 10-inch tart pan; use half the dough for the sides and half for the bottom. Prick bottom with a fork and freeze for 30 minutes (or several days if desired).

Step 5 Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake chilled tart shell about 15 minutes until lightly brown.

Cool. If you are a fan of lemon curd or the classic French tarte au citron, you will love this cranberry version.

To minimize kitchen time, make it in stages, preparing the crust and curd a day or two in advance. T

he finished tart keeps well for a couple of days too. The wheat-free hazelnut crust is adapted from a cookie recipe from the pastry chef and writer David Lebovitz’s popular website.

Step 6 While the crust bakes and cools, make the cranberry curd:

Put cranberries, sugar and orange juice and peel in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until cranberries have popped and softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a food mill or medium mesh sieve and press cooking liquid and solids into a bowl. (Alternatively, for the most vibrant color, purée the cooked cranberry and orange mixture with an immersion blender or in a food processor or blender. Press through a fine-mesh sieve.)
Whisk the butter into the warm liquid.

Step 7 Put eggs and egg yolks into a bowl and beat lightly. Slowly whisk a cup of warm cranberry liquid into the eggs to temper, then combine both and whisk together. Wipe out pot if necessary, return liquid to pot and cook over low heat until nearly bubbling and thickened, about 10 minutes. If using immediately, let cool to room temperature.

If working ahead, cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap (press wrap against curd) and refrigerate. (Curd may be cooked up to 1 day ahead.)

Step 8 Pour cooled cranberry curd into the cooled prebaked tart shell and smooth top with a spatula. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes to set curd. Cool on a rack. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Note:
If you want avoid some headache, I recommend the Julia Child/Alice Medrich method for peeling the hazelnuts rather than the oven method (which did not work for me).

1. Add 3 Tbs of baking soda to 2 cups of boiling water.
2. Add the hazelnuts and boil for about 3 minutes until the skin removes easily from a hazelnut that you tested.
3. Pour the contents into a colander and run under cold water. Fyi, the water will be black.
4. Remove skin. I used a paper towel to help remove the skin.

Last edited:
I make and like whole cranberry sauce with cayenne pepper...
I will try whole cranberry sauce with the orange marmalade..
Have used dried cranberries in many bread recipes and dressing..
Also oatmeal and other warm cereals..

When the kids were smaller I used to make a homemade sauce..
Ground whole fresh cranberries
Ground orange, peel and pulp
Sugar
Pulpy orange juice if needed
Mix well, let it overnight in the fridge to blend

Found this recipe with comments from a friend's Facebook page.

Cranberry cake.jpg

CRANBERRY ORANGE CAKE
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
zest of one orange - about 1 tablespoon
juice of an orange
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
For the Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 - 3 tablespoons water, milk or orange juice
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cranberries on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar until sugar turn a lemon color, about 4 - 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and mix in until incorporated.
Add the orange juice and zest. Add the sour cream.
When incorporated add the flour, salt and baking powder. When this is all mixed together stir in the remaining 1 1/4 cups cranberries.
Bake for 50 - 55 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Let pan set for 5 minutes after you take the cake out of the oven. Turn over cake unto a wire rack to cool. Mix up your glaze ingredients and spread on top and sides of cake.
Notes from chef
I have made this cake twice...and I want to be sure the results are the same for you as they are for me. The cake in the picture I used a smaller bundt pan which is why it looks so tall, mine is about 8 cups. The cake will rise to the top of it. It will also fall slightly as it cools. The amount is also enough to make it in a bread pan.
The flour amount is correct. This makes a delicious cake with a tart cranberry cake.
Sprinkle the sugar lightly around the pan, do not let a bunch of sugar be in one spot. Think of it like adding flour to a cake pan for releasing the cake.

My folks owned a lake cabin near a vast area of cranberry bogs in northern Wisconsin. Prior to Thanksgiving, my Mom, Dad, an aunt and uncle would visit the Ocean Spray harvesting crew at the bogs and purchase a 25# box of fresh cranberries.

At the cabin, they would grind the cranberries with oranges and sugar to make cranberry relish.
1700504302754.jpeg

My folks owned a lake cabin near a vast area of cranberry bogs in northern Wisconsin. Prior to Thanksgiving, my Mom, Dad, an aunt and uncle would visit the Ocean Spray harvesting crew at the bogs and purchase a 25# box of fresh cranberries.

At the cabin, they would grind the cranberries with oranges and sugar to make cranberry relish.
== ==
I have had cranberries from the bogs around Hayward that were very good..

Cranberry cornbread:
Your favorite cornbread recipe + 1 can of jellied cranberries and half a can of strawberry soda.
Make muffins.

Cranberry 1 Cake
1 bag whole cranberries (cleaned)
1 box/recipe white or yellow cake

Make cake mix or recipe according to directions. Add cranberries. Bake as directed on box or recipe.

For topping:
1 cup cream (can use milk in a pinch)
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Spoon topping over hot cake. Enjoy.

Not sure where the recipe came from. Or what it was originally called. I called it one cake because it was easier to memorize the recipe that way.

My Granny used to live in Hayward. Spent many a summer up there. In fact I still have a pet rock she gave me when I was about 8. We were walking down a country road while she talked to me about the trees and rocks in the area. I carried that rock in my pocket for 30 years or so. Until one day I almost lost it. Now it’s in my jewelry box. Anytime I needed to hear Granny's voice I'd reach in my pocket for that rock. If I was trying to make a decision I'd ask myself "What would Granny do?" That usually solved everything.

Oh god, the government cheese! I loved that stuff! we got government cigarettes for a few months when Reagan cleaned out the bomb shelters too! Plain, white box. it said regular, and light, and menthol was green. damn things tasted like the floor sweepings from a cigar store.

Latest posts

Back