Crazy? Or is someone there?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
This story goes back 4 or 5 years and continues till today
Few years ago my dog had a rotisserie chicken on the front porch. I figured he snagged it from my ONLY neighbor. So I was thinking my neighbor was going to be upset. A month passes and. I see the neighbor, I attempt to do what’s right, apologize for the dogs behavior and offer compensation. He denies missing a chicken. I kid about someone living in the woods and get on with life. Over the years I hear a radio or rather I hear voices that sound like news commentary, then it goes away. This is off and on. This morning I heard voices again. And attempted to follow the sound. Did not find anything. I am either going nuts or someone is living deep in the national forest behind my place.

Few years ago my dog had a rotisserie chicken on the front porch. I figured he snagged it from my ONLY neighbor. So I was thinking my neighbor was going to be upset. A month passes and. I see the neighbor, I attempt to do what’s right, apologize for the dogs behavior and offer compensation. He denies missing a chicken. I kid about someone living in the woods and get on with life. Over the years I hear a radio or rather I hear voices that sound like news commentary, then it goes away. This is off and on. This morning I heard voices again. And attempted to follow the sound. Did not find anything. I am either going nuts or someone is living deep in the national forest behind my place.
How much property do you have? I would become very familiar with the surrounding "vacant" land. There are stories out there of people who have built underground shelters with well hidden entrances. It also may be someone who camps around the area frequently. You should be able to detect signs of people having been around the area.

I would never get a good night's sleep with someone creeping around the woods out back. I'd contact a friend with a good dogs or someone who can really track. Have him go over a few 100 acres with a fine tooth comb.

You heard them... they are within 100yrds. There are no ghosts in the woods, people leave signs that someone else can read... or scent a good dog can track. Find them...

If nothing else, game cameras are cheap. But I'd get to the bottom of this situation. The world is too dangerous to leave this to chance.

edit to add...

Thinking about it some more… if it’s people… They obviously don’t want to be seen. Have your friends come over and just walk. Set up a simple pattern around your house, About 400acres and walk it once or twice a week.

My point… They/them are obviously aware of you. If they start seeing signs you are searching for them… that might be enough to cause them to move further away or avoid your general area. Don’t have to find them, just make them think you are about to… If they don’t want to be seen they’ll back off.

Last edited:
I agree with Peanut. I would be extremely careful, and try to find out what is back there. Did we just have a recent thread where a couple of hikers were attacked? One was murdered, and he was able to fire back and killed one of the assailants. Police found there was an encampment deeper in the woods in one of the national parks. When they found it there was a five year old with a shotgun.

There is someone out there. You heard them. Seems like they want to be not found but get careless occasionally and give themselves away.
I would guess it's not kids or a group of adults or you would have seen and heard more.
If they have been there for 4 or 5 years they are very well established so most likely they aren't going anywhere.
Another thought is maybe it's someone that just passes through occasionally. Someone that truly lives off the land and just moves around looking for food.
I would search the area really well looking for signs. I would do that with a rifle in my hands.
I would also get a game cam and move it around the property near the house.
I'm with @Peanut I would not feel safe with someone lurking around.
Have a talk with your neighbor also.

..Over the years I hear a radio or rather I hear voices that sound like news commentary, then it goes away. This is off and on. This morning I heard ...again. And attempted to follow the sound. Did not find anything...or someone is living deep in the national forest behind my place.
Hmm, intriguing.. Posit: What 'Time' did you hear this 'radio' / chatter? "Daytime" or Eve? If the former, I'm thinking possibly something like 'transient USFS Rangers' or 'Fire-scouts' either doing a drive-around or walk thrus, etc, checking for 'Camp-sign' / tweeker-trailers, etc, maybe, and you heard their handhelds / truck-radio, 'in-transit'? 🤔 Are there any trails / pickup-drivable paths back there? Just a thought..

Of course, prudence suggests you Do follow Peanut's fine suggestions, and definitely 'fine tooth comb it', but.. Sometimes, 'Occams Razor', ya know? :)

PS - Good ears! :)

jd

I went back and read the op again. This time I chuckled because you are describing me. (You didn’t specify daylight or after dark.)

I hunt plants in daylight, sometimes months pass before I go back and check a specific area in my territory. Sometimes a year will go by. I’m almost always alone so I make no noise, in fact I try to go unnoticed.

Could be a couple of herbalists hunting medicine plants in the NF? A few times a year… they take a walk where they shouldn’t be. I know some herbalists hunt in National Forests. Its frowned on by most and removing plants from a nation forest is whole other can of worms. But it could be this simple. (I have access to over 50K acres of private lands, don’t hunt in a NF)

Another possibility… This could be grad students monitoring tree growth or spotted owl poop. Call the local colleges, see if they have programs involving the NF. Call the forest service… they may already know the answers to your questions. Or at least send out their people to investigate.

Food for thought… Pot growers? If it were meth cooks you’d already know. They tend to get paranoid and shoot up the woods. I’ve crossed paths with them once or twice.

What ever the answer, I’d get to the bottom of this riddle.

I agree checking more into the sounds.

Related...

I was alone in the wooded part of The Ridge when I heard a guy giving commands to a dog. I was concerned because I don't want trespassers. I searched everywhere but couldn't find him.

Eventually I figured it out. The hillside on the other side of the valley is parabolic. The guy was training his dog in a field on the other hill but sounded like he was just yards away.

Ben

I agree checking more into the sounds.

Related...

I was alone in the wooded part of The Ridge when I heard a guy giving commands to a dog. I was concerned because I don't want trespassers. I searched everywhere but couldn't find him.

Eventually I figured it out. The hillside on the other side of the valley is parabolic. The guy was training his dog in a field on the other hill but sounded like he was just yards away.

Ben
Yes! Sound deflects off of rocks etc. surprisingly well.

I would punch a few holes in some small targets and go staple them to a few of the trees in that general direction. You can fire a few shots into the air when you suspect the need. If any questions arise, nothing stopping you from target practice. If I were hiding out, a place where I was subject to be on the receiving end simply by sitting at my cave entry. Might help them decide there could be another place.

How much property do you have? I would become very familiar with the surrounding "vacant" land. There are stories out there of people who have built underground shelters with well hidden entrances. It also may be someone who camps around the area frequently. You should be able to detect signs of people having been around the area.
My property is butted up to a national forest I have wondered over a hundred miles of deer trails. A person could live there unnoticed if they did not leave trash/evidence

Doesn't your dog bark? Ours bark like crazy and want to go run out after whatever is out there if there is anything in the woods

maybe put a wildlife camera hidden somewhere and see if you see anyone?

You don't live near Ocala Fl, do you by any chance? If not I could tell you some scary stories ....( we used to camp in the NF there when we lived in Florida)

My property is butted up to a national forest I have wondered over a hundred miles of deer trails. A person could live there unnoticed if they did not leave trash/evidence
There are people who live in national forests and WILL not be seen! I'm trying to remember the name of a book I read, true story written by a young lady who lived in a forest with her dad. He wanted nothing to do with society, but they would go to town for supplies and to do odd jobs for money! While doing work for an RV park the girl (17) wanted to live a normal life. At 18 she moved to the RV park with help from people there and lived a normal life. She would leave food and supplies for her dad several times a year in a certain place in the forest!!

There are people who live in national forests and WILL not be seen! I'm trying to remember the name of a book I read, true story written by a young lady who lived in a forest with her dad. He wanted nothing to do with society, but they would go to town for supplies and to do odd jobs for money! While doing work for an RV park the girl (17) wanted to live a normal life. At 18 she moved to the RV park with help from people there and lived a normal life. She would leave food and supplies for her dad several times a year in a certain place in the forest!!
I reads a book as a teenager called My side of the mountain about a run away who lived in a hollowed out tree. Must have been a good BOok for me to remember 50 years later

Is your dog good at sniffing out intruders? I’d take my dog for a walk looking and snooping if I heard a human noise. And my dog would tell me something was out there before I could pick up on it.

DO NOT follow the sound. DO NOT investigate. National parks are black ops guinea pig farms. bad things are out there, stuff even an M-60 wouldn't help much with! If your dog/Livestock are acting apprehensive, arm up and go inside!

Yes, I'm paranoid. I have reason to be!

I think, if I were to investigate, I'd do it with a buddy and a dog. Taking two or three buddies would be better. You can cover more ground, faster, and extra eyes are always a good thing, for multiple reasons. Also, I believe 4 guys are much less likely to encounter a dangerous situation - one guy can be overpowered easily. 3 or 4 guys may convince anyone bad to stay hidden and not bother you. I also would go out only at mid day - you're looking for evidence, not trouble, and trouble tends to happen in the dark...

I reads a book as a teenager called My side of the mountain about a run away who lived in a hollowed out tree. Must have been a good BOok for me to remember 50 years later
I read that too. It was a good story.

Edit: the book is called My Side of the Mountain. It won a lot of awards.

Last edited:
I think, if I were to investigate, I'd do it with a buddy and a dog. Taking two or three buddies would be better. You can cover more ground, faster, and extra eyes are always a good thing, for multiple reasons. Also, I believe 4 guys are much less likely to encounter a dangerous situation - one guy can be overpowered easily. 3 or 4 guys may convince anyone bad to stay hidden and not bother you. I also would go out only at mid day - you're looking for evidence, not trouble, and trouble tends to happen in the dark...
If its not bugging you,leave it alone unless you and your buddy both own Barett .50s and some HE grenades. leave it alone!

Funny, my first thought is that it could be someone who just wants to be left alone? and if they are not as Magus says, 'bugging' you or creating thrash/fire risks, or stealing, is there any harm?
Sounds like the dog knows where they are exactly though- I wonder is he visiting them often, for food, and that's why he doesn't bark?

Hubby came home from the library today with that movie!!👍♥️ It's called "Leave No Trace"! We will watch it again tonight or tomorrow night!!

From my experiences, it could be horny teens trying to find some privacy for exploratory purposes?

It seems that hormonal tendency trumps logical thinking. Especially after dark?
I plead guilty to being one of those. :confused:
Old guy: "I heard moaning out here, what's going on! :mad:"
Me: "That, is the sound of a female o***sm":D

I wonder what would happen if you let your dog out and followed him? He might lead you to where someone is camped or has a hidden place.
Put a "pet cam" or a go pro on him and see what he sees.

Latest posts

Back