Crazy Prices!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up getting 2 turkeys this week for 45 cents a pound on sale with a minimum purchase of $20. My plan is to boil and can up to add into my stockroom shelves. Assuming you have a defrost feature on your oven @montanabill? I put the first in a fridge to defrost and then again the one I got today. The first that I got on Saturday, I have no doubt will be thawed, but the one I got today, hmm, think it will need some help with the defrost feature on my oven. My plan is to boil both and debone to can the meat along with broth. I haven't tried freeze drying meat yet.

Be glad y'all aren't smokers...
DW's went from $80 to $88 to $90 per carton in less than a month. :mad:
(yes, I get those).
Tell her to get a stuffing machine, the tubes and tobacco by the pound and her cigs will be less than a dollar a pack. I know someone who does this. It takes her about 5 minutes to stuff a pack of cigs

just got a 18 pack of eggs today.
it was $18.
not a typo
thts $1 per egg now

and they had very little left.
the 12 pack was $12
no larger boxes
I don't what kind you got, but I just ordered Cage Free Large White Eggs, Grade A, 18 Count, 4.39.

13 hens in cold and only 8 3/4 hour daylight a day. Five eggs today. It's their first winter laying so i puposely have not increased the length of the day. so their usefull life should be a bit longer.
Going to rig up a heat lamp tonight since the temp is dropping and the forecast for wendsday night is -32F.
I really like my home grown eggs compared to the cheap store bought. I grew up on a small scale chicken farm (500 layers at one time) and the containment setup for commercial cheap to produce eggs is pretty grim.

I put a heat lamp in tonight as well. Will check the coop temperatures in the morning to see if another one will be needed. If it goes down to -34 tomorrow night, I don't want any frozen toes. It's not good to warm them up too much, but moderating the big lows a little does no
I worry about freezing their combs. My birds tend to roost together fairly high in the coop.
the temp outside is about -10F tonight and so far the coop is showing +10F with one heat lamp. I might put another lamp or a higher wattage bulb in for the cold nights.

I worry about freezing their combs. My birds tend to roost together fairly high in the coop.
the temp outside is about -10F tonight and so far the coop is showing +10F with one heat lamp. I might put another lamp or a higher wattage bulb in for the cold nights.
I have mixed in Chantecler in the past and continue to select for no combs. I have had some frozen combs on occasion when a chicken is stupid, but it doesn't seem to bother them and they never have that problem again.

Frozen toes are much worse. I keep deep bedding and my roosts are flat 2x4s so they sit on their feet. I hang the lights high so heat is just above them. Not too much, just enough to keep above freezing.

Anyone ever use an electric blanket?
No, I'm serious.
I do. All winter! I keep the heat a lot lower and put the blanket on about 3 of 10. Warm and toasty all night, then turn up heat for an hour or less in the morning. I have a heated throw that I use over me on the couch so I don't feel inclined to turn up the heat in the evening.

Not needed. A 2x4 perch so they sit on the flat side is all that is needed. It's the floor that matters. If it is cement or wet then it's like sticking your tongue to a metal pole. A poorly ventilated and bedded coop is a problem. There needs to be air flow. Moisture builds up fast in a coop. Better cold then warm or they are pooched if the power goes out. Even though I put a heat lamp in, the roof vents are still cracked open. My coop was 24° this morning when I checked. It's good enough and another lamp isn't needed.

Wild birds survive winter just fine out in the snow. Barns are very problematic for animals who are designed for the great outdoors.

I think this belongs in the poultry thread now.

Last edited:
We don't do anything special for our hens in winter, no heat and no lights. We have hens with the short combs and are bred for cold climates. Never had a problem with frost bite. We water twice a day
Saw eggs for over $6.00 a dozen. That ridiculous. They'll probably come down after Christmas, or when Joebama leaves office.

Latest posts

Back