Cross stitch

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magpie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
One of the cathedrals I visited (sorry can't remember what denomination) had these kneeling cushions. Each one was handmade by local people, and the project was ongoing. I thought they were lovely, especially for the bad knees in the congregation.

Attachments

• 1690801572837.jpg
    1690801572837.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1690801572992.jpg
    1690801572992.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 0
Those are nice, and it's very considerate of those local folks to make 'em... with my knee all banged up from dirt biking, I would need one of those cushions to be comfortable. But I might get struck by lightning when I entered the church... ;)

Those are nice, and it's very considerate of those local folks to make 'em... with my knee all banged up from dirt biking, I would need one of those cushions to be comfortable. But I might get struck by lightning when I entered the church... ;)
I'll be honest, I thought I was going to sizzle : ) but I was in that many different ones to take photos I think the Gods just rolled their eyes and sighed gratefully I was in one at all!

I started this counted cross stitch piece many years ago. I finished the stitching in 2016. I had no idea about getting it framed, what it would take. I have a friend who stitches for hours each day and has made 100's of cross stitch pieces. She was in town and suggested I take it to Hobby Lobby to get it framed. That was easy! I got it back yesterday.
The ironic thing? I am not a big Santa Claus person. I have no idea why I started this piece, but it is done.
Saint Nick cross stitch.jpg

I started this counted cross stitch piece many years ago. I finished the stitching in 2016. I had no idea about getting it framed, what it would take. I have a friend who stitches for hours each day and has made 100's of cross stitch pieces. She was in town and suggested I take it to Hobby Lobby to get it framed. That was easy! I got it back yesterday.
The ironic thing? I am not a big Santa Claus person. I have no idea why I started this piece, but it is done.
View attachment 114224
Wow. I love the old style Santa's. Wife decorates with some of those

It's one of the few crafts I've never tried, but these inspire me- I love the way the colours are shaded. I've a good few things to finish at the minute. I began one large-ish felted picture, and I have an order for three others, but not feeling motivated, at the minute. Though I need to look at more ways of bringing in money, I really should up a gear. I have a denim rag rug I started a few years ago, and need to get it done, and the baby coat I'm knitting, before starting other things!

It's one of the few crafts I've never tried, but these inspire me- I love the way the colours are shaded. I've a good few things to finish at the minute. I began one large-ish felted picture, and I have an order for three others, but not feeling motivated, at the minute. Though I need to look at more ways of bringing in money, I really should up a gear. I have a denim rag rug I started a few years ago, and need to get it done, and the baby coat I'm knitting, before starting other things!
I have a friend who will never finish all the projects she has collected, not even if she lived to be 1000. She has tubs and tubs of just patterns, but she also has many complete kits set up of projects to do. She also has many started projects that she keeps in project pouches that she and a friend make and sell. They are closing that business when they finish all the pouches they have orders for, and it will take them a few months to do that. She has a needle in her hand for many hours a day.

For me, I looked through a bunch of her patterns and then got inspired to make some things. I like holiday items. I have a Fourth of July piece that has a patriotic angel on it. I have a Thanksgiving piece with a cornucopia and says, "Let us give thanks."

It was in the crafting group at my local library that I finished many of my unfinished projects. The Santa piece was probably started in the 1990's. Look how long it took me to get it completely finished. I am really not starting new projects, nor collecting the materials to do so. I also do not think I have any cross stitch projects in progress, except to get framed.

When I started a crafting group a number of years ago, my main purpose was to have a place to go and to focus on my projects. I did finish a quilt, two cross stitch pieces, some felt ornaments, and other projects. I would love to be doing that one evening a week now to keep making things. Our group met at the local library. People brought projects to work on. Some came to get help and there were a couple expert knitters. All kinds of crafts happened, and people in the area would donate all kinds of fabric, yarn, etc., including sewing machines. I have a quilt to finish. Top and back are done, they just need to be put together and quilted. That is a big project. I have been thinking I should get it professionally machine quilted and be done.

When I started a crafting group a number of years ago, my main purpose was to have a place to go and to focus on my projects. I did finish a quilt, two cross stitch pieces, some felt ornaments, and other projects. I would love to be doing that one evening a week now to keep making things. Our group met at the local library. People brought projects to work on. Some came to get help and there were a couple expert knitters. All kinds of crafts happened, and people in the area would donate all kinds of fabric, yarn, etc., including sewing machines. I have a quilt to finish. Top and back are done, they just need to be put together and quilted. That is a big project. I have been thinking I should get it professionally machine quilted and be done.
I love piecing quilts but hate doing the actual quilting. I have one that I’m working on by hand sewing/piecing that I plan on having quilted next summer by one of the Amish ladies up here.

I love piecing quilts but hate doing the actual quilting. I have one that I’m working on by hand sewing/piecing that I plan on having quilted next summer by one of the Amish ladies up here.
What has helped me to finish quilts is to choose a square and do one a day or a week, whatever I can get done reasonably. For some quilts, one square a day gets it done. I can never think of hand quilting without thinking of the needle poking my fingers, even with thimbles. For me, it is satisfying and therapeutic. I finished a quilt a couple years ago that I had started more than 40 years ago. This is how a designated time and place each week helps me to finish projects.

Latest posts

Back