Crossvine

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Crossvine… aka – Bignonia capreolata – It’s an “Adaptogen” a group of herbal plants located worldwide with over 200 species. Crossvine grows in the southcentral US.

Growing locations per USDA

https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=BICA

Growing information from Dave's Garden

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1789/

For this post I reference David Winston’s book “Adaptogens Herbs for strength, Stamina and Stress Relief”… listed here https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/herbal-medicine-books-peanut-recommends.6745/

Several other authors in this list also write about Crossvine. Tommie Bass taught crossvine to Darryl Patton who writes about it in “Mountain Medicine”. Darryl taught it to me, you will see later why it is such an important plant to me personally. David Winston and Phyllis Light also taught me a few things about crossvine.

It’s mentioned by Matthew Wood in one of his books and it’s listed in “A Reference Guide to Medicinal Plants” recommended by @Grizzleyette___Adams

The Cherokee of North Carolina used crossvine and taught it to early settlers. Other native tribes also used it.

Outside the southeastern US and a handful of people not much is known about Crossvine. However, a great deal is known and written about “Adaptogens” by all the authors in my list.

A quote from David’s book…

Adaptogens and Stress

Adaptogens modulate our responses to stress (physical, environmental and emotional) and help regulate and support the interconnected neuroendocrine and immune systems. This re-regulation of an unbalanced or highly stressed system is achieved by actions of metabolic regulators such as the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis.

Adaptogenic herbs support the entire neuroendocrine system, in particular adrenal function, thus counteracting the adverse effects of stress. They allow our bodies to sustain an adaptive response and minimize the damage that a prolonged stress response can cause.

A lot of big words but they are NOT talking about the stress of an overdue powerbill or the mother-in-law coming to visit.

Adaptogens help with prolonged major stressors, like those faced when shtf, the world falls apart. Listening @phideaux ? Major stress on our bodies due to major illness or injury, like surgery. For folks like me with CFS or ME adaptogens prevent or reduce the effects of an adrenaline crash.

It’s only in recent years that I have come to realize the importance of adaptogens to preppers, far more than plants that will heal the flu or a cold or a broken bone.

Adaptogens help our entire body and mind… and its response to anything that impacts us adversely. They are one group of plants that every prepper should know… I highly recommend David Winston’s book… Adaptogens.

A few pics of crossvine…

Pics 1 & 2… crossvine growing up a pine and then a hardwood. The leaves appear in groups of 4, 2 on each side of a vine.

crossvine 01.jpg
crossvine 02.jpg

Pic 3… The last time Darryl and I went out and gathered crossvine together. If I’m going to drive a couple hundred miles I’ll bring back a truck load!

crossvine 03.jpg

I dehydrated the vines, leaves and stems then vacuum sealed it in mason jars for making tea. Crossvine in tincture form works great (standard 1 to 2 ratio).

I just really like the taste of crossvine tea, beats Lipton all to heck. Mix 2 cups of dried crossvine in 2 quarts of water, boil on low for 10 minutes, then strain out plant material. I usually sweeten it with 2 tbs of honey. I drink 1/2 cup of tea twice daily… Pic 4

crossvine 04.jpg

Pot luck dinner at Mrs. Phyllis Light’s house with David Winston and friends. A lot of plant wisdom in her house that night! Pic 5…

crossvine 05.jpg

Last edited:
Another difference between crossvine and trumpet creeper aside from leaves that look nothing alike... Crossvine blooms in early spring, March early April. Trumpet creeper blooms in late July and August. The article is correct, trumpet creeper is very aggressive. I don't want it on my farm, it's as bad as kudzu!

It grows here but it has small leaves, struggles to grow. I find it from time to time but don't harvest. I let them grow, my reserve so-to-speak, for when I can't get it else where.

Up around gadsden al its as bad as kudzu, grows everywhere with huge leaves. That's where I harvest it, once a year I go up.

I have plenty of crossvine tincture but I really like crossvine tea. It's really good. I toss the leaves, stems and vines in the dehydrator. When dry I use my food saver and seal it in mason jars. It keeps fine.

This is wonderful information - thank you @Peanut and @Grizzleyette___Adams!
I appreciate the comparison of it to trumpet - that was my first thought when I saw the flower. I realize they aren't the same from the leaves, but it's good to know the explicit differences.
I've been interested in adaptogens, but there's so many things on my need-to-learn list that my brain is mush. But your comments as to the value of adaptogens for preppers and exactly what are stressors - that got my attention. I'm thinking this thread may be a little spiritual nudge for me...

@goshengirl I highly recommend David Winston's book on adaptogens. Isn't he listed as staff for your school, the classes you take? He is another walking encyclopedia of plant knowledge. He and Mrs. Phyllis taught a day long class I was able to attend, and yes, crossvine came up. That night I was invited to potluck supper and got to speak with him a while longer.

@goshengirl I highly recommend David Winston's book on adaptogens. Isn't he listed as staff for your school, the classes you take? He is another walking encyclopedia of plant knowledge. He and Mrs. Phyllis taught a day long class I was able to attend, and yes, crossvine came up. That night I was invited to potluck supper and got to speak with him a while longer.

I have been collecting all the written info I can find on Crossvine...

Besides David Winston's Adaptogens book, where else is it mentioned (besides the publications you listed earlier), that you can recall?

Is a good bit of info mentioned about it in the Mountain Medicine book? If so, I may put the book on my shopping list...

Aaacckk! I just looked on Amazon, and it is only available in Kindle. But! That is better than nothing, and I am now reading it! It is almost like having Tommie Bass in the room with me. I am in love. 😍

Last edited:
@Grizz Tommie was the only expert on crossvine. Darryl is the only person I know for certain recommended it's use. There might be other students of Tommie who have done so but I have no direct knowledge of it.

So, I don't know of any big write up in any book. Just a few short lines and one paragraph. I'm the only person I know of who has used it for any length of time.

I think the only thing left for me to research are the Native American ethnobotany publications...

I am very surprised more is not written up about it considering the reported benefits.

I have never tried it but am so very intrigued!

@Grizzleyette___Adams There are lots of adaptogens available that are far easier to acquire for most people here in the states so it never made waves in western herbalism, never came into common usage... So, it was never written about in great detail.

I have CFS and I can certainly attest to it's benefits for me personally.

We've been fighting vines here fro decades now but most of ours have thorns or the yare unfertile grapes or kudzu.

Back