Digital Currency

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had success buying crypto with cash at "ATMs" in the past, but most of them require personal info now. The last one I went to required me to scan the barcode on my drivers license before doing my transaction - so if you are looking for anonymity you'll probably be disanointed. You can also buy crypto via cash with MoneyGram ( https://www.moneygram.com/mgo/us/en/m/crypto/ ) and Cash App ( Buying Bitcoin ). It's certainly easier using an exchange. My $0.02 would be to not put all your eggs in one basket - both with the crypto you invest in and where you "keep" it once you have it. I just realized I had $12 in crypto in a wallet on my cell phone which I wiped out and gave to my son, If all of my crypto had been there I'd be pretty mad at myself. With it being a small percentage of it, I'll try to recover it but won't cry if it's gone forever...

I found this on Gab. The poster speculated that FTX was a planned crash to take down private cryptocurrencies, to be later 'rescued' with a Globalist controlled replacement.

1668266810852.png

That certainly sounds like a feasible theory. IF there is to be a 'one world' bank and currency, you'd have to first eliminate all the other choices. I don't understand crypto per se, but that theory makes sense.

Economic Ninja likes XRP, but not at it's current price. He says he wouldn't buy until it drops below .20. He thinks crypto's are going to continue to fall for the next couple of months. I guess we'll see. I think I can buy XRP with my Ameritrade account. I might consider it if his prediction is correct about the fall of cryptos further in the next couple of months. Although, it won't be a lot......just kind of a dabble. The chart shows the support line is now resistence, so a drop seems likely according to the candlesticks.

The more I think about the FTX failure, the more I realize I need to keep my crypto in a hard wallet.

The more I think I need to keep my crypto in a hard wallet, the more I wonder...is this really worth it?

If I have $500, should I really put it into a digital memory the value of which relies on being able to decrypt it someday? The whole process is extremely complex...much more complex than storing $500 of wealth in a gold coin, and putting it in a lock box and hiding it.

The more I think about the FTX failure, the more I realize I need to keep my crypto in a hard wallet.

The more I think I need to keep my crypto in a hard wallet, the more I wonder...is this really worth it?

If I have $500, should I really put it into a digital memory the value of which relies on being able to decrypt it someday? The whole process is extremely complex...much more complex than storing $500 of wealth in a gold coin, and putting it in a lock box and hiding it.
Yeah, exactly. I mine crypto, but as soon as I have enough to buy something substantial I spend the crypto and take possession of the physical PM.

No words. My husband informed me this week that the money is gone. He has always been a little different, selfish and deceptive. This last get rich scheme cost 38 years of saving and even valuables were sold to buy ‘just a little more’ crypto.
I’ll manage. Debt free, knowledge and skills, and a network but foremost faith will get me through. I am content with whatever I have. But boy, it would have been nice to have a cushion and have something to pass on to others.
Glad too that I have some put away that he can’t access.
Roughly, a million lost.

No words. My husband informed me this week that the money is gone. He has always been a little different, selfish and deceptive. This last get rich scheme cost 38 years of saving and even valuables were sold to buy ‘just a little more’ crypto.
I’ll manage. Debt free, knowledge and skills, and a network but foremost faith will get me through. I am content with whatever I have. But boy, it would have been nice to have a cushion and have something to pass on to others.
Glad too that I have some put away that he can’t access.
Roughly, a million lost.
I'm very sorry for the loss, but how did it happen?

Crypto hasn't gone anywhere. I have my wallet (and backups of it) in my possession. My crypto won't disappear until I spend it. Do you mind if I ask how your husband lost it? Did he hold it at an exchange or something similar and didn't actually have a wallet (or wallets) he kept personally?

I'm very sorry for the loss, but how did it happen?

Crypto hasn't gone anywhere. I have my wallet (and backups of it) in my possession. My crypto won't disappear until I spend it. Do you mind if I ask how your husband lost it? Did he hold it at an exchange or something similar and didn't actually have a wallet (or wallets) he kept personally?
It lost value. As I see it, that’s resources that are no longer there. He feels that it will come back and increase, the coins or wallet or whatever. I feel that he’s been had. I really know nothing about financial. He has kept everything secretive, the bank account set up in his name only, retirement funds that were cashed in early with penalty, the smart phone that is always hidden.
I know, I’m not very smart to be in a situation like I’m in. No trust, no communication. I just figured that things would work out.
How this all came out is he has decided to retire next month and he is pressuring me to provide the health insurance through a part time job I just started. That would take a
most all of the paycheck. Not my plan at all.
one time I did see a message left on the computer screen. It was a selfie with the message ‘I want to buy crypto’ that he had sent to some guy in Chicago? . I don’t think he chose his source with much discernment.
But, to answer your question, he apparently does have tokens or whatever. They just don’t have value.

I was going to say that cryptocurrency is still there, and not at zero. But, that assumes investment in Bitcoin and maybe Ethereum, and not investment in other coins. I put some cash in Solana, and it is about a fifteenth of the value it was when I bought, and for cryptocurrency, that usually means it is not coming back.

But for Bitcoin, remember this: Very many multi-millionaires still hold a lot of it. Could they all lose that money forever? Maybe. But we'll see. If they can push it back up, they will.

I was going to say that cryptocurrency is still there, and not at zero. But, that assumes investment in Bitcoin and maybe Ethereum, and not investment in other coins. I put some cash in Solana, and it is about a fifteenth of the value it was when I bought, and for cryptocurrency, that usually means it is not coming back.

But for Bitcoin, remember this: Very many multi-millionaires still hold a lot of it. Could they all lose that money forever? Maybe. But we'll see. If they can push it back up, they will.
I was going to say just that. I've even seen some I thought were down for the count have some short-term spikes when there's been speculation or a whale buying large amounts out of the blue. You never really know what they will do, and it's worth setting up some notifications of price jumps to see if you can salvage some change out of the mess!

It lost value. As I see it, that’s resources that are no longer there. He feels that it will come back and increase, the coins or wallet or whatever. I feel that he’s been had. I really know nothing about financial. He has kept everything secretive, the bank account set up in his name only, retirement funds that were cashed in early with penalty, the smart phone that is always hidden.
I know, I’m not very smart to be in a situation like I’m in. No trust, no communication. I just figured that things would work out.
How this all came out is he has decided to retire next month and he is pressuring me to provide the health insurance through a part time job I just started. That would take a
most all of the paycheck. Not my plan at all.
one time I did see a message left on the computer screen. It was a selfie with the message ‘I want to buy crypto’ that he had sent to some guy in Chicago? . I don’t think he chose his source with much discernment.
But, to answer your question, he apparently does have tokens or whatever. They just don’t have value.
The value of an investment is not what it is worth now but what it is worth when sold.

Selling when they are down is a sure way to lock in losses.

With the threat of a digital dollar crypto may pick up some demand.

Ben

The value of an investment is not what it is worth now but what it is worth when sold.

Selling when they are down is a sure way to lock in losses.
Investing 101 :thumbs:.
The ones caught up in the FTX thing are finding out that they didn't actually buy crypto, but instead gave their money to a 21st century Bernie Madoff that was running a huge ponzi-scheme. :mad:
Where's Bernie you ask?
Well, he could have gotten out early for good behavior....if he had lived to age 198.:LOL:
Wikipedia: Madoff's projected release date was January 31, 2137. The release date, described as "academic" in Madoff's case because he would have to live to the age of 198, reflects a reduction for good behavior.
No, that is not 2037! :oops:

Last edited:
Anybody notice that Bitcoin got above $17K today, for the first time in months? :woo hoo:
Anybody notice that Bitcoin got above $19K today?
I think it might be on the mend.

Still not noticing, on purpose!! But you go....
...And I find myself posting about it even though it means about this much to me:
icegif-5631.gif

But as an investor, I think a rise from $16K to $19K in just a few weeks is noteworthy. :thumbs:
Where are the champions that should be singing Hallelujah?:dunno:
Or did they find that they were actually buying into the FTX scam instead of Bitcoin?
...They shouldn't feel bad because even quarterback Tom Brady is out $40million :oops: .

Last edited:
Anybody notice that Bitcoin got above $21K today?
If I owned a security, and it rose 36% in less than a month, you can bet you would hear me bragging about it.
64244-nod.gif

I have a theory, that it is related to FTX's collapse.
Remember my motto?: "Every time someone loses a fortune, somebody else finds it".
Edit: Annoying graph pic:
Screenshot_20230116-145716.png

Last edited:
Anybody notice that Bitcoin got above $21K today?
If I owned a security, and it rose 36% in less than a month, you can bet you would hear me bragging about it.
64244-nod.gif
Ok I waited a little while this time.🙂
Don't want to be accused of "Meerkating" a thread (making post after post in minutes so whenever someone pulls up the thread, all they see is your posts) :(.
Did anybody notice that Bitcoin got above $24K today?
(Sorry, no annoying graph, even though it is very impressive).

Last edited:
Ok I waited a little while this time.🙂
Don't want to be accused of "Meerkating" a thread (making post after post in minutes so whenever someone pulls up the thread, all they see is your posts) :(.
Did anybody notice that Bitcoin got above $24K today?
(Sorry, no annoying graph, even though it is very impressive).
I don't follow crypto or unicorn tears. ;)

Ben

Crypto isn't worth anything 'til you buy something of value with it. That said, I am keeping an eye on the current price. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on a deal soon. It always feels good to trade electrons for gold.

I think you have way more knowledge re. stocks than me, but this is one I would figure out how to get out of. Sorry - and feel completely free to ignore my opinion. I purchased some Kraft-Heinz right before it split 😂 Anyways, my skepticism is on the grounds that I don't think Uncle Sam is going to want any competition and will pull any crooked punch possible to have their way. Again, I don't know, but it's just a gut feeling - maybe by 2030 ;)
Anybody notice that Bitcoin got above $19K today?
I think it might be on the mend.

I think you have way more knowledge re. stocks than me, but this is one I would figure out how to get out of. Sorry - and feel completely free to ignore my opinion. I purchased some Kraft-Heinz right before it split 😂 Anyways, my skepticism is on the grounds that I don't think Uncle Sam is going to want any competition and will pull any crooked punch possible to have their way. Again, I don't know, but it's just a gut feeling - maybe by 2030 ;)
I have not been keeping up with this thread as I should :(.
Thought I was droning on too much before.
Bitcoin is above $28K today so you should be in the catbird seat!:D:woo hoo:

Hey there, bkt! I can definitely see where you're coming from. It can be hard to justify the value of cryptocurrency when you can't physically hold it or use it to buy something tangible. But I think the potential for growth and investment opportunities can make it a valuable asset to hold onto. And if you're thinking about making a deal, it's always good to keep an eye on the current price and see if it's a good time to buy.
Hey and welcome! Stop by the Intro section and tell us a bit about yourself.

You absolutely can use crypto to buy something tangible and that's all I ever use it for. Crypto isn't money. Federal reserve notes aren't money. But you can use both to buy money.

Note: it seems the spammers are really focusing on the original name of this thread (crypto....), so I've changed the name hoping it doesn't attract those idiot spammers. Please help us by reporting any unusual posts here.

Thank You!
Thank YOU for keeping us from drowning in spam!:huggs:
Fear not, we won't confuse it with CBDC.

Last edited:
Back