Cultural Cuisine in your area

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never liked fried green tomatoes, it fact they are sort of rare in this area. Fried squash... OMG. I could eat a skillet full by myself... Home cooked is best, this pic is the way my cousin next door cooks her squash, luv it. I deep fry mine and have a dipping sauce on the side.

But there are a couple a couple restaurants around that has good fried squash. One place I always stop at (30 miles away) on the rare occasion I happen to be near there. The owner/chef always bought fresh produce at the farmers market where I sold veggies.

Fried Squash (2) sm.jpg

Last edited:
I never like fried green tomatoes, it fact they are sort of rare in this area. Fried squash... OMG. I could eat a skillet full by myself... Home cooked is best, this pic is the way my cousin next door cooks her squash, luv it. I deep fry mine and have a dipping sauce on the side.

But there are a couple a couple restaurants around that has good fried squash. One place I always stop at (30 miles away) on the rare occasion I happen to be near there. The owner/chef always bought fresh produce at the farmers market where I sold veggies.

View attachment 64621
You can have mine (squash).

Little India on 6th Ave.? It is a great place and I have eaten there many times. Still there, and have opened at least one other location, maybe more.
I've been to the Little India on Champa Street, in downtown Denver northeast of the Performing Arts complex. Been there dozens of times, but it's been over a year now with the stupid covid killing the symphony performances. Their lamb saag is to die for! That's the routine for my friend and I. Park the car in the Performing Arts complex garage, walk to Little India for an early dinner, return to Boetcher Hall to listen to the pre-symphony talk, and then the symphony performance. Been doing that for years.

I've been to the Little India on Champa Street, in downtown Denver northeast of the Performing Arts complex. Been there dozens of times, but it's been over a year now with the stupid covid killing the symphony performances. Their lamb saag is to die for! That's the routine for my friend and I. Park the car in the Performing Arts complex garage, walk to Little India for an early dinner, return to Boetcher Hall to listen to the pre-symphony talk, and then the symphony performance. Been doing that for years.
They do have great food. I have never eaten at that location. Whenever I've attended performances at the Performing Arts Complex, we usually went to The Market, which has since closed. Haven't been to any performance downtown for a while. So many of my friends whom I went with have moved to other places.

We are going to Missouri in about 3 weeks for our Grandson's graduation. You can bet I will be having some good food.
I hope my son can still remember how to get to the BBQ place close to Sedalia.
Jim, you're killing me with those pictures. To make matters worse my Doctor told me just today I had better start eating smarter. My A1C number is a lot higher than it should be. I will be cheating a little on my trip but I will work on it.

We are going to Missouri in about 3 weeks for our Grandson's graduation. You can bet I will be having some good food.
Jim, you're killing me with those pictures. To make matters worse my Doctor told me just today I had better start eating smarter. My A1C number is a lot higher than it should be. I will be cheating a little on my trip but I will work on it.

No bread, no taters, no sugar.

Everything else is good to go.

Works for me.

You'll be fine.
images.jpeg

Jim

Missouri is a big state, but if you are in Kansas City, there are some great barbecue places.

-Arthur Bryant's on 18th and Brooklyn has some of the best. It is not in the best part of the city, but LEO's eat there for free, making the place safer. They sell out early, especially on Saturdays. I went in around 2 pm one Saturday and there were dirty dishes stacked everywhere and they were sold out.
-Gates also has great barbecue and is well known. People drive through K.C. and get barbecue to go, slabs of ribs in boxes. More than once I've eaten it in Colorado, from someone who was driving through KC,MO.

This is a favorite around West KY.
Open face beef.
View attachment 64758

Jim
Wasn't that called S.O.S. back in the day?
Wikipedia said:
U.S. military cuisine
In the United States, chipped beef on toast was commonly served to service members of the United States Armed Forces. It was thus considered emblematic of the military experience, much as pea soup is in Finland or Sweden. In American military slang it is commonly referred to by the dysphemism "Sh** On a Shingle" (SOS),[6] or "Stew On a Shingle", "Same Old Stuff", "Something On a Shingle", or occasionally "Save Our Stomachs".[7]

Wentworth and Flexner cite no origin for the term, but noted "shingle" for slice of toast has had "some use since 1935" in the U.S. Army, mostly in the expression "sh** on a shingle", and the latter had "wide World War II Army use".[8]
Historic. And still good today.:)

Last edited:
Just curious about the cultural foods from different areas of the country.

What is on your plate , most likely , at your house or favorite restaurant.

In my household being raised on Southern(KY, TN)
We eat , and love , different foods than folks in different areas.
Here is a sample of a KY plate.
View attachment 64415
Fried chicken, fried okra, mac and cheese, turnip greens, cornbread , and of course ice tea.

Is this common to your house?

Jim
Up here in the north end of the Appalachians, no okra, and the cornbread is in flatcake form, with enough wheat flour to hold it together.

No specific culinary dominance around here (WA). A couple nice restaurants, lots of "meh" ones, and a few no-way ones. I'm Portuguese and Italian so grew up with flavor. When I moved to Oregon, one of the things I noticed was that people only knew salt and pepper as seasoning. Blah! I use lots of herbs in cooking.

Our area isn't very awesome. We are in the country a bit. Nearest places are typical americanized mexican, pizza places, and fast food. We had one fantastic "real" mexican eatery That just closed since the rent went to high for them.

I never put asparagus in it, but I've heard of people putting peas in it....creamed peas on toast.
Now it's avocado toast for the young ones.
I just make a white sauce and put chipped beef in it, but like it better on biscuits.
I just counted yesterday, and have 3 jars left of chipped beef in the pantry. It's pretty shelf stable. Better get more.

Oh hey, what about coffee toast....break up the bread in a bowl and pour coffee on it? I don't like it though.
Another weird one around here is cake in milk. Put your piece of cake in a bowl and pour milk over it. I love it that way.
The ol' Tx stand by is milk with cornbread in it.

Latest posts

Back