Cultural Cuisine in your area

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know people who eat graham crackers with milk over them in a bowl. My grandfather used to eat leftover gravy over bread after he had eaten his meal. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet this was common for him when he was homesteading, whatever game he had gotten cooked, gravy and bread. I never saw him cook, but he was 14 to around 18 when he was homesteading on his father's claim, and was often there alone, so he had to cook.

First of all, let me say , I would shoot someone if they put peanut butter in ...
delish-no-bake-oatmeal-cookies-horizontal-1544566025.png

My mama made these when I was aweee little boy.
Love me some nobake chocolate oatmeal cookies.

Jim

First of all, let me say , I would shoot someone if they put peanut butter in ...
View attachment 64929
My mama made these when I was aweee little boy.
Love me some nobake chocolate oatmeal cookies.

Jim
My Mom made these also.
You and I came from opposite sides of the country but we could be related. :)

When I was a kid we lived on fish and game stem to stern but also such classics as sos wth chipped beef.
Other dishes were slumgullion, liver and onions, spam with macaroni and cheese, horse meat hamburg, roasted raccoon, johnny cake.
All the normal things people eat.

Here's another one...
Ever had peanut butter and banana mashed sammich.?
Love it.
View attachment 64954
One of Elvis Presley's favorite. He liked them fried...I don't.

Great snack after working all day.

Jim

I grew up eating those, not fried. I still love them. I actually like them for dinner while working in the garden. Not really super filling, but sure does stick to your ribs while bustin your hump. Get you thru to supper

I had one of those pb banana the other day. Love them. Also love pb and fig jam. Two favorites.
Ahh, fig jam!:heart:
Worth all the work.
But you have to use the small brown figs, not the big turkey figs.
Don't ask me how I know
NoDeal.gif
d7df062e8324ad8b66c88e9dfb007877.jpg

Last edited:
Seems to me more details are needed!
I just helped my mom. She did the magic.
Looks like this:
9994648.jpg

Notice the figs are teardrop shaped, not round and fat.
This is a guy's hand (mine), holding a turkey fig below.
img_20170804_180338-jpg.22854

Southern country cooking far as restaurant nearby,but within 20 30 miles all cuisines.

Just curious about the cultural foods from different areas of the country.

What is on your plate , most likely , at your house or favorite restaurant.

In my household being raised on Southern(KY, TN)
We eat , and love , different foods than folks in different areas.
Here is a sample of a KY plate.
View attachment 64415
Fried chicken, fried okra, mac and cheese, turnip greens, cornbread , and of course ice tea.

Is this common to your house?

Jim

Plenty of that around here.

I just helped my mom. She did the magic.
Looks like this:
9994648.jpg

Notice the figs are teardrop shaped, not round and fat.
This is a guy's hand (mine), holding a turkey fig below.
img_20170804_180338-jpg.22854
We had hail balls that size the other night in N Tx. But really, looks great! Nothing like Mom's cooking!

A breakfast staple around here is table syrup poured onto a plate, enough peanut butter stirred in to thicken it. Then sopped up with a biscuit. That was the dessert portion.

We always mix and stirred butter into our sorghum molasses and sopped it with biscuits .

Wife even does it with blackberry jelly.

Good stuff.

Jim

Last edited:
We always mix and stirred butter into our sorghum molasses and stopped it with biscuits .

Wife even does it with blackberry jelly.

Good stuff.

Jim

Yep, here also, butter was used as often as peanut butter. Peanut butter happened to be my favorite. It didn't have to be syrup either, sometimes molasses and honey were used.

I used to make these, when I was younger and thinner. Have you ever had them with peanut butter? Yum!
I grew up on the ones without peanut butter...therefore the first ones that I had with PB , I spit it out.
Can't stand PB in those .
I can't stand PB in ice cream or pie either.
PB is made to go on bread and jelly or banana only 😊

Jim

I grew up on the ones without peanut butter...therefore the first ones that I had with PB , I spit it out.
Can't stand PB in those .
I can't stand PB in ice cream or pie either.
PB is made to go on bread and jelly or banana only 😊

Jim
I understand that. I find it interesting how I go for years liking some foods, and then all of a sudden, not. And vice versa.

Latest posts

Back