Cultural Cuisine in your area

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many gotta have fresh sliced tomato with your eggs for breakfast.
Heavenly.
depositphotos_144457993-stock-photo-fried-eggs-with-slices-of.jpg

Jim

I thought I should mention a few more delicacies.
Fried tripe, boiled kidneys, raw oysters with hot sauce, raw clams with lemon, fried fish eggs snails and maybe some lime jello with a dollop of mayo for dessert. YUMMY

Last edited:
I made chili over toast, the hard way. It is also accompanied with chopped onions and shredded cheese.

I have a few recipes if you would like them. Note you need to know well ahead when you want to eat it because the fastest recipe takes most of the day to make.

I'll copy two of them... not many people want to spend the time to make a 3 Day Chili. ;)

Nope nope nope, Slade.
I'm making a traditional local dish for dinner....
chicken and thin noodles, kinda like a thick soup...skimpy on the broth. It's served over mashed potatoes
This is popular in central Iowa as well. My mother likes to experiment with the noodles. The thick egg noodles seem to be the most popular with the family members...

I need to learn how to make chili. I love it. Not the canned stuff though. But canned is what I normally end up with. :(
@Haertig 1 pound of ground beef, 2 cans of Bush's Chili Magic, 1 little tin of green chilies, and season to taste. That's the quick easy way and it's darn good.

When making from scratch, cook red beans instead of the Bush's beans and do everything else the same. Note that you may need more seasoning. I use lots of regular chili powder, a little hot chili powder, black pepper, a dash of garlic, and if I want a bit more heat I use a little crushed red pepper.

Chili is not soup! If there is enough liquid in the chili to make a splash when you drop a spoon I to it, you need to drain it. When you scoop it out it should plop into the bowl almost like dumping a scoop of mashed potatoes.

The guy is from Chicago , set up shop in Mayfield Ky.
It's 100% Chicago , so is his pizza.
ACES CHICAGO PIZZA.

Jim

There's a Chicago guy in the little town up the road with a pizza restaurant. His pizza is authentic Chicago, as good as it gets. At lunch you can even order by the slice. I usually get a slice and a salad w/drink for $7.

His gyro sandwiches were as good as any greek restaurant in Chicago but he quit serving those. So few people ordered he had to stop. He ordered gyro loaf from Chicago which is expensive, especially if no one orders a sandwich. The same story with his hotdogs... A redneck town in Bama does have it's down side, the regulars didn't know what they were eating.

I remember the squirrel dumplings my grandmother used to make... delicious.

I have a sister in law out of the bayou area of LA.
She and my brother had just gotten out of college and were acting kind of snobby.
We invited them to diner but we had very little money and diner was going to be a challenge.
I had a shot gun, so I went out and got 2 squirrels and 2 grouse.
We baked them with plenty of butter and served them with rice with a few dried currents steamed in and peas.

We lit the table with candles and supplied some cheap wine and a few beers.

She said that was a gourmet meal and I felt like I had just fed the queen and we were found worthy.

Last edited:
Had some good catfish yesterday, collard greens, cornbread,love southern food the best! Pinto beans with big hickory smoked ham hock ain’t nothing no better!

Everything gets fried at The State Fair of Texas! Oreos, snickers, pats of butter, just to name a few. Really big deal to fry things that maybe shouldn't be fried😳! Always amazed at how many people are willing to try some of this stuff!

I dont know if anywhere in the UK has cultural cuisine any more, most people seem to live on takeaways and fast food, if the masses have a preference its probably Curry.
I like home cooked food. too many chemicals in the other stuff.
the only "takeaway" out here in the rural areas is Fish and Chips.

Back