Curing Sweet Potatoes, how to

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@lilmissy don't harvest the sweet potatoes until the green foliage on top of the soil starts dying off and then do it.

The secret is when you harvest them to keep the dirt on them and trim off the side shoots leaving a bit attached which keeps them for ages. We just place them on newspaper so they are separated with the dirt on on our veranda with shade cloth to keep the sun off them. Bear in mind you would be wise to use the smallest ones first or blanch and freeze them, but the bigger ones will last a lot longer just kept like this.

The curing time just makes them sweeter.

You can leave them in the ground & dig them as you use them.
A farmer dug all his potatoes & missed the small ones, got another crop off them the next year.
The third year he gave me about 50 slips/plants from small potatoes from the 2nd crop that was free.
So they over winter small potatoes for 2 winters.

Thanks everyone. I read you cant leave them in the ground and they must be pulled before the frost. Cant always believe what you read. Its been in the low 40s at night and chance of frost tonight. I have them laying on the floor in my dining room on a brown paper bag. I am sure we missed some in the ground so hopefully they come up next year.

@lilmissy I always plant the really small ones back roots and all in the ground next to the drip irrigation holes and they grow back the following year. I am on my 3rd year now of having a crop from 4 sweet potatoes I cut in half and planted that I brought from the farmers market nearby. We get enough for us and this year sent around 30 - 40 kg to church we had so many of them.

@lilmissy don't harvest the sweet potatoes until the green foliage on top of the soil starts dying off and then do it.

The secret is when you harvest them to keep the dirt on them and trim off the side shoots leaving a bit attached which keeps them for ages. We just place them on newspaper so they are separated with the dirt on on our veranda with shade cloth to keep the sun off them. Bear in mind you would be wise to use the smallest ones first or blanch and freeze them, but the bigger ones will last a lot longer just kept like this.

The curing time just makes them sweeter.

When freezing them, do you mash or cube? Do they taste the same?

Latest posts

Back