Current Project

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Citrus

Friend
Neighbor
I mentioned in my introduction thread, that my current attempts are going toward fixing up the old 'chicken coop' on my property in hopes of getting some chickens soon. I admit to being pretty anxious about this, as my previous experiance with chickens is kinda as follows:
-Grandma's stories about keeping hundreds of chickens and pretty much supplying the whole area with eggs while Mom and her siblings were growing up: By the end of it she had appearantly mastered breaking their necks one handed and was dead sick of them. Also she told grandpa when they moved to the farm that she would never allow a rooster on her property, they never did have one.
-In 4th grade I had a friend who had chickens. Once they got new chicks and I got to pet them and they let me name one. I named it 'Falcon'. A couplefew months later I was told the foxes got Falcon. Sad day.
-Watching the facebook posts of my aunt on the far side of the state that raises many fun breeds of chickens and other fowl (I did once help their daughter get an escaped turkey back into it's run when I was able to visit for a day.)
-Lots of internet research.

So obviously my jumping off point is much more of a 'book smart' level than any experience of true value. I'm posting here to kinda show off what I'm working with and hopefully benefit from any knowledge or advice y'all might have to fill in the gaps.

Currently I'm dig-guarding the coop, as I do have coyotes around that love to sing in the night. Sometimes they are right at the fence, but they don't come nearly as close since I fully moved in and brought my dogs with me. The Shiba almost looks like one of them and they don't wanna mess with the Doby. Especially as the dogs have absorbed some of my nocturnalness and are out at odd hours of the night often. I'm planning to let the chickens roam the yard during the day and close them in the coop at night to keep them safe. The best idea I could come up with is galvanized mesh folded so it goes a bit up the outer wall, and then is buried a bit underground around the coop. I have the front and one side done, and am almost done with the back, but it's where all the roots and stuff is growing so it's been a little slower than the other sides. The last side should be easiest 'cause it's under the connected lean-to shelter.
There is also an overgrown branch that has damaged the roof of the coop slightly, so I need to remove that. Luckily I was left with some spare panels that were used on the roof that I can use to patch it.
I took some pics to kinda show what I'm working with (along with my two most helpful helpers that had to get in on the shot). The structure is very makeshift, and looks frankensteiny and ugly, but is stable enough. Lot's of what I'm doing will probably be upgraded in the future as I better get a hang on what I'm doing and what I need
Font, where you can kinda see where I buried the mesh.:
IMG_20200731_193108492.jpg
IMG_20200731_193114491.jpg

Side, buried mesh: (Dogs: What do you mean you're trying to take a pic of the building? We're much more interesting)
IMG_20200731_193051667.jpg

Back, currently digging out trench. Technically I've finished digging since this pic and will lay out and bury the mesh hopefully tomorrow if all goes well. And it does have a loose panel on the back that needs to be better secured, but instead of securing that panel the last people to mess with it secured some very sturdy grates behind it, so save at the base where my dig guard should help, it's not really a security risk for coyotes or raccoons. Odd though.:
IMG_20200731_193027268.jpg

Inside (Couldn't get a decent angle to take good shots):
IMG_20200731_193209388.jpg
IMG_20200731_193217078.jpg

So, I don't fully know the history of this structure, or what it was originally used for, to be honest. The house itself is over a century old, though has been wonderfully cared for and is in excellent condition. It started it's days as a one or two room school house and has many people live here since. As far as I can tell the owners directly before me didn't miss with this specific outstructure at all. When clearing out out (there was a lot of crap inside when I started.) among what I found was what looked like a nest box, so it may have been for chickens at one point, Mom and Grandma suggested it may have had pigs at some point, and after we found towels and blankets in that wooden thing in the corner they thought someone may have raised puppies in it. I have no idea. All I know is I was needing a chicken coop and this can be made to suit my needs, so that's my plan for it.

I do still need to figure out roosts and nest boxes for inside. Grandma offered some of her old nest boxes that are up in the coop on her farm, and I might look at that later, but they are big metal things that come in 10 boxes per single unit that are still affixed to the beams in her chicken house, so not only can I not easily remove them by myself, nor would I have an easy time getting one into my little kia soul, they are also much larger than what I currently need. I'm thinking to start with I'll try to keep 1 rooster and 4-6 hens and go from there as I figure things out, so I most certainly won't need 10 boxes in the near future. As far as my online reading has dug up, they share boxes easy so you don't need one per hen, so I should be able to start with 2-3 nest boxes and go from there. I'll need to either buy some or see if I can't use some of the scrap material (that was originally in the building and is now sitting in a heap outside the building till I get it moved elsewhere) to build some. Same with perches, I guess, I have't figured out exactly what the best way to go about equipping the space with some of those would be.

Similarly, I'd like some recommendations for bedding and nesting material- preferable what works well and is cost effective that ISN'T straw or hay- I have hay fever, and while it's controlled enough I can deal with the material when I must, It's uncomfortable enough I'd prefer not to any more than absolutely necessary.

As far as the chickens themselves, I think I've decided on Orpingtons. As far as I can tell from internet research, they check all of my boxes -good for both eggs and meat, -hens will tend to fertile eggs and chicks, -good temperament, -bred in many pretty colors so working with them as stock for multiple generations of birds will be more fun.
Though as important as I tag that last point, for starters I'm going to get the common buff orpingtons to start for the following reasons: -Cheaper, as I'm still figuring out what I'm doing and things could go wrong, -I believe I recall reading somewhere that due to how they breed them into other colors, some important traits, especially temperament, are not as certain in the other varieties, and while working with living creatures is never truly predictable and there will always be issues able to crop up, I prefer starting with the somewhat easier to predict in the beginning, to try to minimize issues.
And if anyone would not recommend this breed or believes the internet lied to me, by all means, correct me before it's too late ^.^

So that's pretty much where my project stands. Lot's of learning as I'm going and praying I know what I'm doing, but so far I'm excited about moving forward on such plans. :3

It’s hard to see in your photo’s but… What you are calling “mesh”? Are you referring to regular “chicken wire”?

Chicken wire 2 inch mesh... I wouldn’t waste money on 2-inch mesh…

Garden Zone 60 in. x 150 ft. Poultry Netting with 2 in. Mesh, 186015RP at Tractor Supply Co.

Chicken wire 1 inch mesh

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/poultry-netting-48-in-x-150-ft

The size of the holes is important, I use 1-inch mesh for my main pen. A racoon can still reach through 1-inch mesh and grab any chicken roosting close by so I don’t use it on my coop.

So… For my coop I use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. It’ll keep a racoon’s arm from reaching through.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gardenzone-hardware-cloth-10-ft-x-36-in

My coop is 10ft x 6ft chain link fence panels with 36 inch hardware cloth around the bottom.

Coops 01 (4).jpg
Coops 01 (5).jpg

Again, sorry, can’t tell in you pic exactly what you are using.

Also, a good mix of busted up brick or cinderblock pieces in the soil you shovel back in is a good deterrence to any critter trying to burrow underneath. In my experience that almost never happens anyway. But hey, if you have old busted bricks or cinderblocks… why not? Also... around my main pen, every few years I bring in a couple pickup truck loads of crush rock and shovel it against the outside of my perimeter fence. About a 6inch wide strip all the way around.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/chicken-breeds-pro-and-cons.10682/
We just had a chat about breeds here in the forum at this link...

Last edited:
It's not chickenwire I"m burying. I'd... need to find the label to remember exactly what it is 'cause I can't think of a better word in my mind. It's placed under ground/overlapping with the base of the building, for stopping digging, so while I'm pretty sure it's wide enough for a raccoon to get an arm through, they'd still be underground. Out of the pics I have, it's most easily seen in the picture of the side- you see some sticking up against the side of the building, half is folded horizontal and buried. I'll get more info/better pics tomorrow when I get back out to it. I went with that stuff 'cause it's thicker wire than the chicken wire or hardware cloth so there should be less worry about any corrosion or againg from being buried underground.

The front of the building has chickenwire and hardware cloth. And wood panels. It's haphazardly layered, but fairly secure by what I can tell.

Alas, I don't think I have enough bricks or cinderblocks to really add to the soil, just the few I'm using to pin down the wire till I get it buried.

about roosting poles... I set up mine in the coop so no critter reaching from outside could reach the chickens.

I used to have pole sticking through the chainlink fence wall.. a pesky racoon killed several hens that were on the end of the pole against the wire...

Now I have the poles in the middle coop so they can't be reached through the wire or wall.

Coops 01 (8).jpg
z 01 (3) sm.jpg

Last edited:
Chickens are smarter than you think, don't worry about em:). roosts are easy, 2x4 wide side up at a variety of heights, they will pick the ones they like and change when they want. Never use chicken wire to keep a predator out, it's only good for keeping chickens in. Lots of ventilation, NO direct drafts on the chickens, especially in winter. I have 1 nest box for 5 chickens, it works for them.

For litter, I use pine shavings, deep litter method. If you have a local source, sawdust would probably work Ok, but I never tried it. Nest boxes get a layer of clean shavings when the old stuff gets dirty.

I'd start small, just hens, and see if chickens are really for you. If you like, then expand to the breeding and roosters.

Looks like a nice start.
I agree, dont trust chicken wire for much of anything.
I had Buff Orpingtons. Imo they are fine birds. Started laying at about 5 months. With 9 hens we got 7 to 8 eggs a day on average and good size eggs. Ours, other than one stupid rooster I culled, had great temperament. Very friendly for the most part.

We've had hens and a few roosters over last 22 years and have never used any kind of shavings, just dirt floor. Nobodt here uses shavings maybe because its Flroida and too hot and humid, and nice looking job so far.

Last edited:
about roosting poles... I set up mine in the coop so no critter reaching from outside could reach the chickens.

I used to have pole sticking through the chainlink fence wall.. a pesky racoon killed several hens that were on the end of the pole against the wire...

Now I have the poles in the middle coop so they can't be reached through the wire or wall.

View attachment 47566View attachment 47567

Looks good.

I mentioned in my introduction thread, that my current attempts are going toward fixing up the old 'chicken coop' on my property in hopes of getting some chickens soon. I admit to being pretty anxious about this, as my previous experiance with chickens is kinda as follows:
-Grandma's stories about keeping hundreds of chickens and pretty much supplying the whole area with eggs while Mom and her siblings were growing up: By the end of it she had appearantly mastered breaking their necks one handed and was dead sick of them. Also she told grandpa when they moved to the farm that she would never allow a rooster on her property, they never did have one.
-In 4th grade I had a friend who had chickens. Once they got new chicks and I got to pet them and they let me name one. I named it 'Falcon'. A couplefew months later I was told the foxes got Falcon. Sad day.
-Watching the facebook posts of my aunt on the far side of the state that raises many fun breeds of chickens and other fowl (I did once help their daughter get an escaped turkey back into it's run when I was able to visit for a day.)
-Lots of internet research.

So obviously my jumping off point is much more of a 'book smart' level than any experience of true value. I'm posting here to kinda show off what I'm working with and hopefully benefit from any knowledge or advice y'all might have to fill in the gaps.

Currently I'm dig-guarding the coop, as I do have coyotes around that love to sing in the night. Sometimes they are right at the fence, but they don't come nearly as close since I fully moved in and brought my dogs with me. The Shiba almost looks like one of them and they don't wanna mess with the Doby. Especially as the dogs have absorbed some of my nocturnalness and are out at odd hours of the night often. I'm planning to let the chickens roam the yard during the day and close them in the coop at night to keep them safe. The best idea I could come up with is galvanized mesh folded so it goes a bit up the outer wall, and then is buried a bit underground around the coop. I have the front and one side done, and am almost done with the back, but it's where all the roots and stuff is growing so it's been a little slower than the other sides. The last side should be easiest 'cause it's under the connected lean-to shelter.
There is also an overgrown branch that has damaged the roof of the coop slightly, so I need to remove that. Luckily I was left with some spare panels that were used on the roof that I can use to patch it.
I took some pics to kinda show what I'm working with (along with my two most helpful helpers that had to get in on the shot). The structure is very makeshift, and looks frankensteiny and ugly, but is stable enough. Lot's of what I'm doing will probably be upgraded in the future as I better get a hang on what I'm doing and what I need
Font, where you can kinda see where I buried the mesh.:
View attachment 47557 View attachment 47558
Side, buried mesh: (Dogs: What do you mean you're trying to take a pic of the building? We're much more interesting)
View attachment 47559
Back, currently digging out trench. Technically I've finished digging since this pic and will lay out and bury the mesh hopefully tomorrow if all goes well. And it does have a loose panel on the back that needs to be better secured, but instead of securing that panel the last people to mess with it secured some very sturdy grates behind it, so save at the base where my dig guard should help, it's not really a security risk for coyotes or raccoons. Odd though.:
View attachment 47560
Inside (Couldn't get a decent angle to take good shots):
View attachment 47561 View attachment 47562

So, I don't fully know the history of this structure, or what it was originally used for, to be honest. The house itself is over a century old, though has been wonderfully cared for and is in excellent condition. It started it's days as a one or two room school house and has many people live here since. As far as I can tell the owners directly before me didn't miss with this specific outstructure at all. When clearing out out (there was a lot of crap inside when I started.) among what I found was what looked like a nest box, so it may have been for chickens at one point, Mom and Grandma suggested it may have had pigs at some point, and after we found towels and blankets in that wooden thing in the corner they thought someone may have raised puppies in it. I have no idea. All I know is I was needing a chicken coop and this can be made to suit my needs, so that's my plan for it.

I do still need to figure out roosts and nest boxes for inside. Grandma offered some of her old nest boxes that are up in the coop on her farm, and I might look at that later, but they are big metal things that come in 10 boxes per single unit that are still affixed to the beams in her chicken house, so not only can I not easily remove them by myself, nor would I have an easy time getting one into my little kia soul, they are also much larger than what I currently need. I'm thinking to start with I'll try to keep 1 rooster and 4-6 hens and go from there as I figure things out, so I most certainly won't need 10 boxes in the near future. As far as my online reading has dug up, they share boxes easy so you don't need one per hen, so I should be able to start with 2-3 nest boxes and go from there. I'll need to either buy some or see if I can't use some of the scrap material (that was originally in the building and is now sitting in a heap outside the building till I get it moved elsewhere) to build some. Same with perches, I guess, I have't figured out exactly what the best way to go about equipping the space with some of those would be.

Similarly, I'd like some recommendations for bedding and nesting material- preferable what works well and is cost effective that ISN'T straw or hay- I have hay fever, and while it's controlled enough I can deal with the material when I must, It's uncomfortable enough I'd prefer not to any more than absolutely necessary.

As far as the chickens themselves, I think I've decided on Orpingtons. As far as I can tell from internet research, they check all of my boxes -good for both eggs and meat, -hens will tend to fertile eggs and chicks, -good temperament, -bred in many pretty colors so working with them as stock for multiple generations of birds will be more fun.
Though as important as I tag that last point, for starters I'm going to get the common buff orpingtons to start for the following reasons: -Cheaper, as I'm still figuring out what I'm doing and things could go wrong, -I believe I recall reading somewhere that due to how they breed them into other colors, some important traits, especially temperament, are not as certain in the other varieties, and while working with living creatures is never truly predictable and there will always be issues able to crop up, I prefer starting with the somewhat easier to predict in the beginning, to try to minimize issues.
And if anyone would not recommend this breed or believes the internet lied to me, by all means, correct me before it's too late ^.^

So that's pretty much where my project stands. Lot's of learning as I'm going and praying I know what I'm doing, but so far I'm excited about moving forward on such plans. :3

Citrus,looks good to me.dancing chicken:thumbs:

Thank you for your replies everyone!
I found the label for the stuff I'm burying and it is hardware cloth, 1/2 inch mesh. My brain is kinda poor sometimes with both vocab and sizes, still not quite sure why my memory insisted last night that the gaps were so much larger than that, even with the pics. I'm kinda glad I was remembering wrong.
The problem area is bound to be the front. Slightly better pic:
IMG_20200803_141705562_HDR.jpg

It's ugly , but overall functional as far as I can tell, but there are a couple spots that seem to have missed the double layering and are only chicken-wire. I think I'll try to cover those with left over hardware cloth when I'm done with the dig guarding.

I'd start small, just hens, and see if chickens are really for you. If you like, then expand to the breeding and roosters.
I will keep this advice in mind, and will start slow. I have to admit the other animals I keep probably changed the default start point for my mindset, as while chickens are a completely new animal to me, they are not the first completely new animal I've picked up, and not even the first to be bred as 'livestock' in my care (though the current species with that title is not for human use XD) Also, a glance at my pet-list might reveal that I'm the sort who'd find herself with a pet rooster and then remember I wanted eggs and probably to breed and that kinda requires hens. That said, I'm likely obtaining straight run chicks and seeing where it lands me (Hoping I don't have the luck my aunt and uncle's first batch had when they made their first attempts to get started and found themselves with 7/7 roosters lol) Once they grow I'll feel out if I"m keeping a rooster or if they are all dinner and go from there I think ^.^;;

I had Buff Orpingtons. Imo they are fine birds. Started laying at about 5 months. With 9 hens we got 7 to 8 eggs a day on average and good size eggs. Ours, other than one stupid rooster I culled, had great temperament. Very friendly for the most part.
I'm glad to hear from someone with direct experience, especially as it seems I wasn't led astray~

Sounds like you also have your grandma around with lots of experience!
I do! I should probably give her a call and update her on my task. She is aging and currently living with relatives, and since I'm the only one within an hour of the farm, I've become the care-taker of the house (land is rented out to keep being used for cattle and wheat like it has for ever). Problem is getting the relevant information from her. She was dead sick of chickens by the time she was done with them, so most conversations on the subject end up as- admittedly amusing- rants and her ability to grab them and cull them with one hand and the reminder that if I get a rooster she is never staying the night at my house (Fair enough, I lack a guest bed, and unlike my spry little brother, grandmother is not sleeping on the couch. You can sleep at the farm and drive out to visit me when you return to the area). Also her memory is declining. :/ But she has given me leave to scavenge her old supplies, such as those nest boxes, and she gave me an egg basket, which is significantly bigger than anything I'd need, too, but hey, it's older than I am and if nothing else adorable decoration, right? She also has feeders and such things that are better but much larger than the cheap plastic items I've acquired, so they may come home one day.

But thank you all for your input and advice ^.^ It's given me some idea for the roosts that I'll see if I can put into work soon.

Starting slow is a safe bet, it’s what I did. I didn’t have a pen or a coop but I had a bunch of chain link fence panels I’d traded for. I had to take an old barrel racing horse as part of the deal so I put him to work.

I built a chicken tractor. I made a square pen out of the panels and put it on wooden skids so I could move it (pic1). We raise cattle here. There’s a 3acre holding pen beside the corral. There are some large pecan trees under which we stack rolls of hay.

The hay leaves gallons of grass seed which my chickens would eat in the spring and early summer after the hay was gone. Past the trees are where I’d use that big horse to pull my chicken tractor around. My chickens also chased rickets and grasshoppers that love to live around the hay. They had plenty of natural food which cut down on my feed costs.

I notice the rest of your old farm is being used for cattle and wheat, lots of food sources the cattle will waste, seed from hay. I’m also sure there will be smallish piles of wheat that gets spilled from combines or wagons. Just talk to the farmer, he probably wouldn’t mind you shoveling up spilled wheat or grass seeds or mind you using a few handfuls of hay for your nest boxes. I know I wouldn’t.

Don’t be afraid to put your chickens to work either if you have over grown areas, they are great at it. Beside my main pen were piles of old cinder blocks and brick. They’d been put there after a tornado destroyed our farm in the 70’s. I needed them for various projects but didn’t have time to dig them out or clear all the brush. I let the chickens do it. I used deer netting as a temporary daytime fence and let the chickens out there each day to eat and scratch. I’d have to cut the bigger stuff with a chain saw occasionally but they did the rest. I had about 30 hens and it took them all summer. As they dug around the bricks and block, loosening them, I’d stack them up. (pics 4&5)

Anyway, I wish you luck with your project. Keep us posted on how your chickens are doing.

Tractor (1.jpg
Tractor (2.jpg
Tractor (2a.jpg
Tractor (4.jpg
Tractor (5.jpg

Last edited:
Existence and updates! The last few days have been busy both on this project and other events, but I managed some extra money that has helped me move forward some.

Among this I finally got a good battery powered work light I can take out there to extend my hours of 'daylight' in the evenings some, as that's when I do most my work- I tend more toward night owl than morning person, I'm afraid ^.^;; And I don't do heat very well at all. My brain fries fast and my stamina goes to heck. That said, I did find what became of my sunscreen so I did brave some time outside today (smartly as I'm pretty sure it's the hottest day in two weeks. At least temp is still only double digits, if barely), and am now outside taking a break to recover and rehydrating. I'm trying to carefully improve my stamina, as I'm doing more and more things that require daylight hours (and when I do find another job, I doubt I'll be lucky enough to find a nightshift position that has room for me)

I've finished burying the dig-guard, and am over all pretty happy with how it turned out. Here are some more in progress pics, I don't yet have a pic of the last side complete-

Laying the dig guard, before it's buried, along the back side. I had to fight with/compromise with some of the roots from that tree there, but it turned out alright I think-
IMG_20200804_182810556.jpg
IMG_20200804_182815102.jpg

And buried:
IMG_20200804_202152275.jpg

That every beloved doberman of mine pulled a new level of totally helpful while I was trying to bury it as he sat on my shovel while I was about to pick up a load of dirt. He wants so badly to be helpful, he just doesn't know why I'm digging when I keep telling him not to.

And this is the last side, when I had just started clearing out the ditch. Because It's technically cleared and covered, it was by far the easiest side-
IMG_20200804_202423313.jpg

(My last job involved much shoveling sand. It was good practice for this task, yes)

So, that was mostly the hardest part. Just gotta get one or two nest boxes in there and dig out some good roosts from my wood pile to get them affixed. (I found one branch that was perfect and pretty to boot, but it was too short for where I wanted it XP Still wanna find something to do with it though, too pretty to be firewood, what with the perfect sunbleaching and everything. Would have made an epic wizard staff back in the days my brother and I were running around the yard fighting invisible monsters and bandits with wooden weapons.... Fond memories there). So that all will be quick and easy.

The biggest problem I have, and I'll try to get an image of it when I'm back out there, is a hole to patch in the roof. While the owners previous to me took excellent care of the house itself, this out building seemed to be of minimal use to them so it went largely ignored, and that nearby tree was allowed to overgrow, one of the branches laying against the roof and poking a hole in it. So now I have to remove the offending branch and patch the offending hole. On paper this is a simple enough task, and I have an extra panel of roof material that I can affix over the damaged area and all well be well.

In practice, I'm still pretty green to anything more complex than putting up a curtain rod as far as working with tools goes, so I'm poorly equipped for this task as far as usable tools and/or knowledge. Unless I simply don't know what I'm doing, my electric drill isn't able to get screws through the metal to affix the extra panel, and I'm not strong enough to get any hand tools to do likewise, and for removing the limb, I currently have a folding handsaw that has me worn out before I make significant progress. I have access to a larger, better handsaw, but I'm not sure that would help any, and I technically do have access to a chain saw, but I've never learned how to use it, and something of that sort I'm not sure I'm comfortable learning how to use it without someone else around, especially as my greatest need for it involves climbing a latter. :/
As far as patching the roof, I figure I could secure a tarp over it as a temporary solution. At first I was thinking to tie it down with tent stakes, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't last long around chickens, especially with that description of them digging up cinderblocks ^.^ But Mom reminded me I could use bungee cords and connect them to the overhangs of the roof (the fact that I needed her to remind me that was a thing proves how much my brain doesn't function when the suns out and hot : P ) I'm hoping my father can come visit/help and bring some of his tools, as he has a much better array than I do. Or at least he could teach me how to better use my own if they should be able to do the job, and then I can get the extra roof panel affixed for the more permanent solution.

Though I will, of course, accept advice on this task if there is a better solution.

But other than that one struggle, the project is coming along nicely~

Looks good, you'll have a regular fort knox in no time for the cluckers to stay in. :)

Last edited:
Citrus, Just a word to never forget!!!

SAFETY

Never take it for granted. Get some one to show and instruct on how to use a chain saw. You can literally kill yourself quickly if you screw up. Same deal with a ladder. I have done both for years and I am still hesitant to do either when I'm home alone. Just might need someone to call 911 for you. Also heat and sun, Always play close attention to how you are feeling, how much you are sweating, what your pulse rate is. If you aren't sweating pretty good, get inside NOW and cool off. Start drinking a lot of water the day before you are gonna be outside working. And continue drinking regularly the entire day your working, even after you get done and come inside until you go to bed. Dehydration is a killer and can drastically affect your thought process before you realize it.
Forgive me for being preachy about this, but part of my job at work is teaching safety and doing work plans so my techs know things to be wary of when they are working. A good part of their work is outdoors and I drill in there heads to pay attention and keep an eye on each other. Heat Stress, Heat Exhaustion, and Heat stroke are all very serious and can be deadly. Off my soap box now.

Now to the task itself. If there is a good chance your dad can be of some help and has the right tools, I would be highly likely to putting a tarp down for now until he can come over and help do it right with the metal sheeting. It'll probably last the rest of summer barring severe winds (depending on tarp material). Ropes, paracord, bungee straps, whatever you have available will work to secure the tarp down for now. Even drive in a few nails at locations where the tarp ropes will run to and secure your ropes to those. Good luck with the project, the work you've done looks great so far.

:3 I don't blame your soap box, there, and don't worry, I keep safety in mind. In fact, I'm a little prone to erring too far to the side of caution. I've had anxiety issues galore and am just now getting over a fear of heights, and spiders, and other things that I have to deal with normally. I have been having to use the ladder a bit alone, but I take every precaution I can to be careful with it. Mom suggested I get out the chainsaw and try it out on the ground cutting firewood first, and I"m all 'Yeah, no. Dad can come teach me how to use it." I, as a rule, don't like using power or motor tools or anything. The fact that they move themselves makes me feel a lack of control over them that makes me extra wary. But I have come to the conclusion that they will make my life easier and I need to learn how to use them, but it is one thing I don't believe I will try to self-teach. And anyways, I do believe I need an excuse for Dad to visit. He does't nearly often enough. -nods-
And trust me, I keep a waterbottle with me, drink it down fast, and use a refill or just a cool down of it as a nice, common excuse to go inside, sit down for a bit, and cool off under the AC. Like I said, my stamina in heat is low, and while I've never got to the point of heat stroke, I've gotten close enough in the past to know not to play with it. Even with me trying to be a little more active in the day, 90% of my work is still in the late evening, or occasionally early morning when it's cool, and I still keep my water bottle full and close and take a break inside if I even think I'm feeling iffy. And if I somehow forget to take a break, my dogs, one being black furred, the other being a ball of fluff, remind me they want to go in (I keep water outside and fresh for them but neither one likes to drink it..)

All that said:
Last side all buried, not that it's very easy to see the wire that sticks up there. Exciting news, it has already proven effective against some pests. I went out there to move some more of a pile of scrap wood into that shed area (the pile you see int he back in the pic), and there was this big ol' rat in there. Noticed me and my dogs coming out and made a run for what used to be a rat hole under that side into the coop. Found instead a wall of wire and fled off in the other direction. Tally almost got 'im, but he got behind a pile of roof shingles left in there and the dogs couldn't get him to come back out. But hey, he couldn't make it into the coop!
IMG_20200809_194643661.jpg

Some pics of the hole-
This one is from inside/underneath:
IMG_20200809_195025135.jpg

And a few from up top, including the offending branch. You can kinda see where I started cutting it, and I got pretty far through when said branch was still alive. Then the weather went bad when I was working on it, and I abandoned it part way through and didn't make it back pretty fast and now the whole branch has died from my attention and hardened and it's that much harder to cut through with my little hand saw. That's as far up as I felt like I could safely get up there, but it leaves a lot awfully close to the roof to cause problems in the future. If I can get Dad or someone after it with a chain saw or better tools, I'd like to see it removed a lot closer to the tree to cause fewer issues, but it's a pretty big branch further up.
IMG_20200809_195058377.jpg
IMG_20200809_195103274.jpg

So yeah, I have a good tarp I'm gonna try to get over it before too long, and that will hopefully last a while. It claims a heavy duty tarp, but winds could cause issue, and I do dwell in Oklahoma.

And I've been trying to dig out feasible roosts from the wood pile.
The one on the left is placed where I think I like it but I haven't done anything to secure it in place or anything yet. Does that look like a good position and everything for it? I have the other larger branch laying there that I think would also work well, but I haven't fully decided how/where I want it. I figure they're likely to also use the sides of that wooden enclosure, too, so I think this all would give them plenty of places to roost.
IMG_20200809_195434570.jpg
IMG_20200809_195444361.jpg

That's a good sized hole in the roof. Me- I'd look for a small piece of the same corrugated tin that's on the roof to use as a patch. Around the pen or sheds should be such a piece left over from when the roof and walls were covered with the tin.

Then I'd match the "hills n valleys" "ripples" of the patch to the roof so it fits snug to the roof. Next would be roof sealant wiped on the roof and the patch, press it down and let it dry. The same idea as a rubber patch on an inner tube but with ripples to match up.

I keep a small can of roofing tar in my shop. Using a putty knife and tar I've patched lots leaky spots in tin roofs and a hole in the tractor shed roof. My elderly dad accidentally ran a hay spear through the roof of the shed once. Whoops! 🥵

I've also used the tar to re-stick asphalt shingles on the roof of the house after storms. A can of tar is a handy thing to keep around, available at most hardware/building type stores. It desn't have to be tar, there are lots of roof repair products that would work.

Hay Spear...

hay spear 2.jpg

I would never have thought about roofing tar! I'll have to look into that! I do have extra panels of the corrugated tin, that was how I was planning on fixing it was getting one of those fixed over it, but I couldn't think of any way to do it but nails or screws ^.^;; (Well, I couldn't think of any feasible way. The part of my mind that's stuck in schoolyear arts and crafts insists I can fix anything with a hot glue gun, then the rest of me remembers that really wouldn't work well but the concept is amusing...). However, the only pieces I do have are much larger than what is just needed to patch the hole. I'd try to estimate how big, but it would hardly be accurate, especially without going out and looking at it. I wanna say the one I was planning to use is like 2 ft x 3-4 ft? But like I said, I'm no good at size estimation, especially not from memory... Would the tar still work for that, or should I see if I can find a smaller piece?

But I'll defiantly see if I can't pick up some roofing tar tomorrow, as I'll already be out shopping for a few last supplies I need. ^.^

@Citrus Tin Snips... are heavy duty scissors for cutting tin. If you can't find a small piece of tin to patch the hole just cut one off the large piece you have. This way you'll still have spare tin left over for other projects.

You can buy tin snips just about anywhere tools are sold. Home depot, Lowes, tractor supply etc. A decent pair are $10-$15.

Tin Snip - Snips - Cutting Tools - The Home Depot

I have a pair like this, 30yrs old. I rarely need them but they are good to have around. Oh, don't forget to buy a putty knife, another handy tool. 1 to 1.5 inch wide blade would be fine in your situation. google putty knife and you can find photo's of one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiss-9-in-Curve-Cut-Tin-Snip-MPC3SN/301293723

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back