Cutting into the shed door header

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at things more closely there is only one 2x4 that would transfer load to the header (see yellow arrow). However, the header also has to support the weight of the sliding door.

Load.png

The trusses are spaced at 4 or 5 feet and the A/C unit is near the rear of the RV. So, the A/C would only have to clear the door header> I would not drive the unit in far enough sose where the first truss would become an issue.

Reminds me of the time my wife volunteered me (with out my knowledge) to pickup children for Vacation Bible School using the church bus. I did every day except one that I had a previous engagement, wife had to drive! As she left I reminder her not to drive the bus under the car port. Why? she asked. Because it will not fit!

Only had one person hit the carport with the bus. It was the guy in charge of the bus and who constantly reminded the driver's NOT TO DRIVE UNDER THE CARPORT!"

It's your Class B and barn. Notch and drive in. Then somewhere down the road you forget the why and decided to drive in for a perfectly good reason...Pay now or pay later?

TV antenna appears to me the same overall height as the roof A/C.

You could easily install a new beam above the center section and re-brace everything.

Knowing my luck the wife would pull the van in too far, forget to take down the TV antenna, or leave something inside the roof-top carrier and create a new headache as the van and the first truss tried to mate. Then again I live with Murphy....

There is a reason why most parking buildings have a swinging clearance bar hanging at the entrance.

I remember when my dad got our first camper for our pickup truck, mom drove it and decide to pick-up take-out... Yep they had a canopy that was about 1 foot lower than the top of the camper, the front of the camper crumbled like tin foil...... Yes I remembers that night, dinner was cold and tempers were HOT>>>

I believe the vertical board that you think transfers load is just a nailer, or in your case a place to screw the panels to. it won't carry any load unless the rafter breaks or sinks.

I was going to say, if the RV doesn't go in and out all the time - just for the occasional vacation and such - you might be able to let some air out of the tires for driving it into the barn.

Or, depending on how far forward of the rear wheels that A/C unit up top is, you could maybe dig a wide trench a few inches deep in the dirt just past your concrete floor so that the rear wheels will drop into that trench, causing the A/C unit to drop below the header, to sneak under at "just the right time". Luck, and driving skill, would be involved in getting this to work.

But it fits as-is! Yea!

Latest posts

Back