Daily Survival in Gaza

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seeds and such....i dont know if seeds are available. but many food items are seeds themselves sooooo.how to grow if no 'garden seeds' to buy. get seeds from the produce in the market.look for most mature vegetables you can get so seeds are most mature. no matter area theres food waste...seen it in vids even now in venezuela. so look towards dumps/dumpsters type thing to restaurants kitchen scraps. ask them to save a few seeds if need be...ask...humble pie is often seen by others and you might get a bonus. restaurant owners sees you as a person trying to better their situation and hands you a free meal. dont be to proud to accept it. look at area and see if you can see items growing and get seed from them. especially olive trees. i know tree growing is long term thinking but doing nothing does exactly that..gets you nothing. so i would gather seeds room the apples i peeled and sprout them. local olive trees if possible or a sprout growing off a tree that looks to be rooting.sucker sprouts can be rooted. you can look that up if you are curious enough.

the big bay window in my shack will be seed starting area on a table in front of it.

TOOLS... i would hope i would be dropped in this situation with my backpack and its goodies but we all know about wishful thinking. i would want a messenger bag the very least and a few tools to have with me. i think i would go with a carpenters hatchet over a hammer. you get 3 actions from it. nail pulling,chopping/splitting and hammering. i would hope i could get a crowbar or a catspaw at very least to help salvage items from nails to boards and more. a shovel for sure as lots of digging to get those barrels and buckets in the ground.

daily carry in bag...water bottle,hatchet and stainless steel mora knife(because of salt water), binoculars or at least a monocular. i used a monocular in my past life and it was less than binos but it was smaller,lighter and more compact. in this situation it might be less conspicuous as well for observation. a few plastic bags or zip type ones...for fish and or a container for items might get squished like soft fruits i buy or forage.some type of a headlamp,light jacket that long and very over sized as to cover everything from view if need be including my messenger bag.a cuban handline and hooks and a few lures.

i know i am missing things..may edit later

Elk, you've put a lot of deep thinking in this thread. Thanksbfor sharing

thank you...i have more..but it will be very late tonight or tomorrow when i continue on with more posts.

i have a product to talk about and show. i been testing it out for a few years and i really like them and they now have a spot in my home and as well my pack.

Last edited:
i want to start off by saying..NO POLITICS TALK...this is not about that.its about the situation only.the whys i dont care about for this exercise...daily survival. i like to look at various situations across the globe both past and present to glean bits of info or insight from those that have lived it or are living in what most,especially westerners would call survival situation.be cut off from supplies or limited supplies is huge as we seen ourselves this year with the bump in our own supply line minor disruptions . this gaza situation is almost like many movies preppers watch but this aint a movie,its real for them and being a scavenger and out of the box thinker and doer and craftsman is only way to make it.years ago i done similar threads and theres one vid of how pallets were used.if i can find that i will post it here too along with others i will be posting.

fist vid is fishing.very interesting these guys have built their own spearguns to fish with.for me i am type likes plenty of elbow room.being jammed up in limited areas i would really have to look for ways to satisfy or keep that at bay in me. i think going to coastline and fishing of some form would have to be my best option.plus it puts food on table and/or a few dollars in my pocket for other items or trade/barter for rice,lentils,oil etc?

Thank you for this information.

The siruation these paople are in isn't about poverty or even abuse. Its about the fight over land and landmarks like the Temple site,of all the places in Jerusalem Mohammad decided to fly off on his horse he picked the Jews most holy site on earth.Islam already two holy sites Meca and Medina.Common sense?
Islam ans Catholicism have alway been againstall other religions.
You say you don't want to make this thread about politics yet that is all its about.
Sometimes I think there are more liberals n this site than conservatives. Everyone always trying to prove they are so damn " TOLERANT" and sympathetic to those who don't deserve all this praise while they put down their own people.
Israel is an ally but thats all it is to me far as the Holy land goes the Bible tells me that God will set up His nation in His time. My nations people is what I'm concerned with at the time.Moslems don't want people to exile you stop blowing them the hell up,problem solved.America stop banging your head on that wall and listening to Natanyahoo and do whats best for America.We can't serve two masters we either serve Jesus or Judah either a Christain or a Jew. Doesn't mean qe can't love everyone but bowing down isn't loveing your nieghbor its worshipping them.
Why do you have to make everything about politics.
If you think there are a lot of liberals on this site.
I don't feel that there are a lot of liberals here.
There are a lot of conservatives here .
There is a happy mix of people, ideas,views.
I personally enjoy the articles that elkhound has graciously shared.

you are the only one talking or trying to talk about. like i said...read my posts.i dont care the situation..i post vids to look at the survival aspect of it only..it can be in any situation around the globe..be in in a snow bank in north/south poles.mid east desert,ghetto in city of america,rural poverty of u.s.i am trying to get people to talk about actions they would take being in that situation.what a person would do for daily survival.you are one reading things into my posts...i have done these type scenarios for years on another forum and several here know me for years and they know the things i post.and the reasons i post...its for mental exercises of 'what would you do' for daily needs.after i post my ideas and what i would do maybe you will realize whats going on my threads in looking at poverty and struggles around the globe...like i said we in u.s. are a minority in the way we live..mostly...330mil vs. other 7.7bil...theres lessons of survival to learn. i dont care of the politics of any of these situations.

if you dont understand this.then best thing to do is not read my posts because this is what i like to do..talk survival in detail.
Well said!

Elkhound, I am fascinated by this kind of thing. An important thing there would be to plant trees. But as shown in the one video, the goats eat young trees, so the trees need to be fenced to protect from the goats. I would think that rock could be used for fencing as is seen in much of Europe.
You are right. Take a backpack or basket with you and bring home something useful every day.
Buckets? oh yes! They are so useful in many ways. I have quite a collection myself.

Why do you have to make everything about politics.
If you think there are a lot of liberals on this site.
I don't feel that there are a lot of liberals here.
There are a lot of conservatives here .
There is a happy mix of people, ideas,views.
I personally enjoy the articles that elkhound has graciously shared.

I see you read the thread and see I left it till you gave me an alert and now want to discuss what I said. Why not take it to the ' rant ' thread or make a new one?

I see you read the thread and see I left it till you gave me an alert and now want to discuss what I said. Why not take it to the ' rant ' thread or make a new one?
I didn't realize you had left the discussion.
I was reading the rest of the thread.
I was also answering a question on the phone too.

various things...in messenger bag...i simple pot/plate.pan you can eat from.one that can be used as a plate or a bowl with spoon/fork deal. this way if offered a meal you can get it and eat it by not making more chores on host or in many cases they dont have extra plate. like in soup lines etc. also a bottle/thermos type deal with screw on lid so if possible get it filled to go home with you.this is survival so dont be shy about asking and getting help...also remember those as well...build a relationship of sorts.

now the item i mentioned above...a d-light...its a solar light...theres a wide range of products but the simple lantern at under $20 is best route. i have a version of these that were made by or sold by techcity and now no longer sold last time i checked.they looked exactly like the d-light and i bet came from same factory but were half the price back then. they work flawless. sit on edge of window and get charged.they charge even in low light and shadows or the ones i have do.have high and low setting to. now they are not full blown super bright lights but they are enough to function and just not sit in the dark.steven edholm recently told a story about getting bit by something in the night decades ago and not having a light and having no idea what bit him and fumbling in dark towards a creek to eat willow bark because of such pain.these things weigh ounces too.

https://store.dlight.com/collections/all/products/d-light-s30-led-rechargeable-solar-lantern

heres the d-light a1 model.its smallest and cheapest from 2015

Last edited:
theres a little bit of politics in this video showing what happens when you get to edge of area they are allowed to fish in.just overlook that for now and look at the survival story of a 14 year old. how many 14 years olds..heck adults would do this from here until forced to?not many in our society this age doing stuff like this.farm/homestead raised kids yes.

I think I was 15 when I got my first commercial fishing license.

if you notice they have a very modern and new desalinization plant and a very large solar array,enough to run it without outside energy. but so far the blockage is keeping the large electric wire need to run the electric from solar to the plant itself...i mean why is that item blocked from coming in..its not an item they could use to hurt others..the criteria 'they' say is used on blocked items.its a crime to block anyone from basic right of water or gathering water for themselves. they only get enough electric from outside to run...an hour or so morning and afternoon i think.....what a scam and sham !
They allowed cement in to build and rebuild housing. They used the cement to build tunnels into Israel so they could attack the Israelis. We're not even talking defensive fortifications but means to initiate surprise attacks. Who would imagine concrete as an offensive weapon.

I think I was 15 when I got my first commercial fishing license.

since i done this thread the miles they can be from shore has extended a good bit now and they can get to bigger and better fish now. seen this is news not long ago...fishermen were pretty happy it seemed.

They allowed cement in to build and rebuild housing. They used the cement to build tunnels into Israel so they could attack the Israelis. We're not even talking defensive fortifications but means to initiate surprise attacks. Who would imagine concrete as an offensive weapon.

yea i understand that..not sure if i posted it here in thread but they use to have a concrete plant and it was destroyed.

not knowing the double purpose items is sorta hard to figure out. not sure why but the vinegar is banned. not a chemist so dont know if it can be used as some type weapon etc. or be processed into something or if its just an item made the ban list.

theres lots of folks there need dialysis over not enough drinking water and low quality drinking water. i hope they get wire need to set up desalination plant . my main objective was.is to talk out solutions. not sure of just exact way but i wonder if a sun powered disc could heat water to boiling and then get it working like a still to get drinking water? build something with reservoir and drip it in a small area of concentrated sunshine.get it set up so while a person is off doing things they have water to drink when returning home...probably a pipe dream. dont know its capable of such a thing.

Elkhound, I am fascinated by this kind of thing. An important thing there would be to plant trees. But as shown in the one video, the goats eat young trees, so the trees need to be fenced to protect from the goats. I would think that rock could be used for fencing as is seen in much of Europe.
You are right. Take a backpack or basket with you and bring home something useful every day.
Buckets? oh yes! They are so useful in many ways. I have quite a collection myself.
It's interesting that planting trees can definitely change the local climate significantly. My wife was born in Utah, and when she left around age 5 it was a dry, rocky very desert-like environment. When we moved here 40 years later, the area was completely different - much more green and lush. Over that time many trees had been planted and their canopies have provided cooling shade from the harsh sun and their roots have helped bring water up from the deep that other plants can "share". Now, it took a crapload of water to get these trees to maturity, and we still have to irrigate the rest to keep it alive, but the change is remarkable! You wouldn't know our yard was in the "desert" from looking at it!

Attachments

• yard.jpg
    yard.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 7
since i done this thread the miles they can be from shore has extended a good bit now and they can get to bigger and better fish now. seen this is news not long ago...fishermen were pretty happy it seemed.
I was surprised, when I was in the Med, as to how small the fish were due to overfishing. I suspect that the larger fish are due, in no small part, because they have been allowed to grow due to no fishing in that area. Around here they limit the size and number of fish so that we don't overfish.

Last edited:
Just read through this thread. I have not been to Palestine or Isreal, but I have been near the border of Egypt and P.

I was in Egpyt for six years, and it only rained twice. Each time for less than 5 minutes and the experience was nasty. Yeh! It's raining and run outside to enjoy while everyone else falls over laughing and watches the newbies get covered in black cruddy drips and have to throw their clothes away. If P. has the same climate and pollution, catching water from the sky is not an option.

There is not enough grass or wood in Egypt to fire a mass rocket stove. Even coal is used frugally by the poor. I have had tea brewed in a tin can over a dried buffalo patty fire, but I was company. Most people use ng to cook and since they don't have much to cook, they don't use much ng.

The border is sand desert. According to locals at the time, there were tunnels into P. We didn't make a point to ask many questions as that could have certain health risks.

I don't know how I would survive in the area with what I know let alone under the conditions they face. I do know Elkhound had good ideas, but the methods and materials wouldn't exist in P. I would lay odds it's all about the underground.

Ask me to survive in the area from the last season of Alone, and I could do that. I grew up doing that and the conditions/weather are much easier now. What would take me out is my age and lessened stamina which would only get worse.

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread has been revived. I missed it the first go round. Interesting. Some of the little inputs and topics are things I've pondered (or pounded into my head - perspective I s'poze) for some time. I had run across a video sometime back about an old place, I think it was in Russia but would have to check. Will see if I can find it. I was intriguing as to how they got their water and lived in the home. It's easy to get a little defensive when people say we take things for granted. "No I don't." (or is that just me?) Ha! There are little things we don't even know to think about. The way a chimney burns, where that fuel comes from, just the little "hows" when life is stripped down to bareness. Will go on that video search now.

Finally found it. It's not Gaza, but they still worked where they were. I liked the details like the counter weight for the water bucket etc. Just ideas: food for thought.

Latest posts

Back