Dampness....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tootsie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Too much rain recently has triggered some cleanup in the cabin (mold). Today’s response is a dehumidifier and fans. But, in another season, without power for those devices, what are options? I remember an old timer going to Agway, getting a bag of barn snow/ calcium chloride and hanging the stuff poured into old nylons, with a pail beneath to catch moisture. I do see itty bitty containers of this in many stores, so it’s still around. Do you have any other ideas? Not willing to cut into the new metal roof for a barn fan, and open windows will help, but other possibilities?

My house sits back into a hill so moisture is always an issue. In late summer, if we've gotten a lot of rain like now... I get a white mold inside my lower kitchen cabinets.

I get out the rubber gloves, clorox in a gallon of water and wipe down everything! It works great, knocks the mold right out. I'm just glad I don't have to do it every year.

Back