Dandelion Recipe

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Question for all you herbal folks that do the medicine stuff. Peanut, Grizzlette in particular.

I harvested 4 dandelion plants today. They volunteered up in the compost I had leftover in the trailer this spring. 3 of them were pretty small and mostly just got the roots from them. The last one was the biggest plant I've ever saw. There are a lot of leaves, and a nice root ball. I put them all in a old 20 gallon barrel and it nearly filled it up.

I've never fooled with dandelion before and not sure where to start. Any tips or ideas would be apprciated.

I’ve never used it. In europe and across russia it was used as a general “spring tonic” for millennia. It was a liver cleaner and blood purifier. The root is used for a tonic.

In early spring (before it’s leaves get bitter) the leaves are a power house of vitamins and minerals.

It has specific medicinal uses but only in very complex situations. I know of folks who use it but it’s beyond me to explain the details.

Maybe Griz knows it well.

Last edited:
I took about 10mins and read through some details earlier. It has some very positive effects on the liver and gaul bladder, much like poke sallet. For lack of a better term "it kick starts" their function. This in turn kick starts our digestive tract and starts cleaning our blood stream too.

I'm going to think of it as a tonic and early spring green. It's loaded with good stuff. There are a few other early spring greens that are good to know. Most folks have them, like the Rumex's, curly dock and sheep sorrel. All of them have historical benefit with cancer's, inflammation and a few more.

But these plants are also full of vitamins. After a winter of salted meats early greens are manna for our bodies. Folks forget that mankind used to eat a lot of salted meats in winter...

Last edited:
Question for all you herbal folks that do the medicine stuff. Peanut, Grizzlette in particular.

I harvested 4 dandelion plants today. They volunteered up in the compost I had leftover in the trailer this spring. 3 of them were pretty small and mostly just got the roots from them. The last one was the biggest plant I've ever saw. There are a lot of leaves, and a nice root ball. I put them all in a old 20 gallon barrel and it nearly filled it up.

I've never fooled with dandelion before and not sure where to start. Any tips or ideas would be apprciated.
I knew a guy who used to eat the flowers! He had some kind of blood disorder, about three months after eating 3 to 10 flowers a day he no longer had the blood disorder. His doctor was amazed. I don't know what it was he had!

Take heart, dear @Bacpacker . It grows like the weed it is and if you miss this go round, there will always be more in the spring to harvest. I have taken it, but I haven't prepared it. A mix of alfalfa, dandelion, and kelp, powdered, in double 00 capsules, I think I took it 2 or 3 times a day and by the end of 6 months I was feeling better than I had ever felt in my life. I was in my early 40s. I always think I'll start taking it again. Maybe you could learn how to make dandelion wine next spring. :D That uses the flowers.
I have a lot of dandelion greens growing in my backyard now too.
Use it in your salad too.
The root or the leaves are beneficial and you can dry them or use them in a tincture. I dehydrated some mullein recently. I let it sit on the table on paper bags, flipped it once in a while. I imagine same thing with dandelion leaves though some suggest hanging it to dry where it will not get moldy.
Edited to add: I found this in a quick search, which is much like other recipes I've seen for making a dandelion tincture.
https://herbsandowls.com/blog/how-to-make-fresh-dandelion-tincture

Take heart, dear @Bacpacker . It grows like the weed it is and if you miss this go round, there will always be more in the spring to harvest. I have taken it, but I haven't prepared it. A mix of alfalfa, dandelion, and kelp, powdered, in double 00 capsules, I think I took it 2 or 3 times a day and by the end of 6 months I was feeling better than I had ever felt in my life. I was in my early 40s. I always think I'll start taking it again. Maybe you could learn how to make dandelion wine next spring. :D That uses the flowers.
I have a lot of dandelion greens growing in my backyard now too.
Use it in your salad too.
The root or the leaves are beneficial and you can dry them or use them in a tincture. I dehydrated some mullein recently. I let it sit on the table on paper bags, flipped it once in a while. I imagine same thing with dandelion leaves though some suggest hanging it to dry where it will not get moldy.
Edited to add: I found this in a quick search, which is much like other recipes I've seen for making a dandelion tincture.
https://herbsandowls.com/blog/how-to-make-fresh-dandelion-tincture
That is a very educational site, going to check it out in depth when I have some quiet time!! Thanks for posting that!

I make dandelion jelly from the blossoms. That's my son's favorite and was one of my Gpa's favs when he was alive.
Also, in the spring, I just pick some of the leaves and add them to salads. They are nutritious. I don't care for the root tea.

I use dandelion for many things. It's one of my favorite "weeds". You'll find some ideas of what you can do with this amazing plant here: The Incredible Health Benefits Of Dandelion (outdoorapothecary.com)

I've eaten many dandelion greens. Best when not very big.
We deep fat fry the flower dipped in tempura batter.
The flower picked apart to get just yellow pieces makes a good tea.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back