Darning Socks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
When I was a child, I was raised by grandparents, and both of my grandmothers had darning eggs that they used to darn socks.

I purchased one for myself last winter. Yesterday I darned a hole in the toe of one of my socks.

No socks are not that expensive. Many people just throw holey socks away. I am struggling to find socks that are comfortable and that I like, so I figured that starting to darn my favorites was not a bad idea.

shopping
This is similar to my darning egg. I have learned that darning thread is no longer made, so I will have to use the little I have from my grandmother's sewing box that I inherited, but I think having some threads and needles for this purpose all together will be helpful. I watch for things like pencil boxes when they are on closeout and have one I can use for my darning supplies.

I'm one of those that tosses but by then mine are so bad there is no bottom left to them.

I never learned to darn socks, I had heard of it but I didn't know it was more than taking a needle and thread to fix the hole.

I'm one of those that tosses but by then mine are so bad there is no bottom left to them.

I never learned to darn socks, I had heard of it but I didn't know it was more than taking a needle and thread to fix the hole.
I have thrown away many socks, and when some are worn out, that is the way to go. I do have socks that get holes in them when they are fairly new, due to my behavior.

I care for a dog who has had health issues and takes medications that cause him to need to go out frequently. I take my shoes off at the door. I literally wore a hole in the heel of a brand new sock last winter on the first day I wore it, sliding my shoes off and on. That is a sock that needs to be repaired. I have also changed from wearing tennis shoes to slip on loafers.

How on earth do you use that thing?
Aha! It goes inside the sock, and you use a needle and thread and weave back and forth. This egg helps to hold the sock shape and to prevent from catching threads you don't want to catch. I have watched a few youtube videos about it. I will find one and post it.

I have used light bulbs in the past, but was always concerned about it breaking.

If i was stupid rich i would wear a new pair of socks everyday. I love new socks! A boy can dream can't he?
I have figured out that more expensive socks are much more comfortable, and those are the ones I want to repair. I have socks, that were gifts, that cost more than $10 a pair. I have had socks that came in packages that were much cheaper, but never as comfortable.

But I have been struggling with what socks to buy and where to get them. I just ordered some from Costco that are a thinner wool sock. I am waiting to see how comfortable they will be.

I have figured out that more expensive socks are much more comfortable, and those are the ones I want to repair. I have socks, that were gifts, that cost more than $10 a pair. I have had socks that came in packages that were much cheaper, but never as comfortable.

But I have been struggling with what socks to buy and where to get them. I just ordered some from Costco that are a thinner wool sock. I am waiting to see how comfortable they will be.
I buy Darntough socks anytime i can afford too. Lifetime warranty. Get a hole send them back and a free pair show up. Awesome socks!
https://darntough.com/

Weedy Garden: Do you shop and buy online? I don't usually, but quite a few options appeared for darning thread when I did a google search. Some can be acquired through Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FZC122/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I was wondering about learning tatting (LOL) because it really is neat looking and most of my great aunts tatted, making pretty but not overly useful items. Michael's sells tatting supplies but I didn't see any darning thread online at Michael's.
That you inherited darning thread and will continue on with it...admirable and frugal. Waste not, want not. My NH wears holes through his socks fast, always in the heels, I think he walks too hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weedy Garden: Do you shop and buy online? I don't usually, but quite a few options appeared for darning thread when I did a google search. Some can be acquired through Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FZC122/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I was wondering about learning tatting (LOL) because it really is neat looking and most of my great aunts tatted, making pretty but not overly useful items. Michael's sells tatting supplies but I didn't see any darning thread online at Michael's.
That you inherited darning thread and will continue on with it...admirable and frugal. Waste not, want not. My NH wears holes through his socks fast, always in the heels, I think he walks too hard.

I do some shopping online, but haven't really done a lot. I have found more recently that I really like not having to drive in bad traffic to go to some crowded store to see if they might have what I need, and therefore, shopping online really has some perks especially for someone like me who does not like shopping.

I will check out the cotton darning thread on Amazon. Thank you for that link.

Inheriting darning thread? My maternal grandmother never threw anything away except real trash. She re-used and repurposed and repaired everything she could. After Grandpa died, she would travel between her children's homes when she could get rides. She always did repairs on the clothing of her 31 grandchildren. My brother broke the needle on her treadle sewing machine and I remember how upset she was. It was when I was a little older that I learned that people changed the needles on their machines periodically. Not Grannie!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back