Dawn Dish Soap uses

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homemade Vinegar Poison Ivy And Weed Killer Recipe

Ingredients
3 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup table salt
1 tablespoon liquid detergent or soap (I use Dawn) for stick-to-itiveness.

Directions
Mix vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved. Stir in liquid dish soap, and pour into a spray bottle.
Spray onto the green growing leaves of the plants. Wait a week, then repeat on any survivors. Best time to apply: during a dry spell.
-------------------------------------------------------
Recipe 2
½ cup of salt
8 cups vinegar
½ teaspoon liquid dish soap or liquid detergent
------------------------------------

Today I bought a little hand sprayer, going to give it a try. I've seen these recipes several times on various websites through the years... After a week of heavy rain things are supposed to dry out this week.

Going to use Dawn of course... I'll post back or start another thread if this actually works.

Last edited:
soapy water will kill most any bug. They use it to kill rogue bee hives that go African and it will even kill wasps and roaches. Adding a touch of Borax (boric acid) increases its lethality.

I know the poison oak oil removal works, mother would have us bath as soon as we got back from cutting wood to clean the oils off & it worked too.
I still do it today, when needed.
POISON IVY
Poison ivy spreads through the spread of the oil within the blisters. Washing the affected area with Dawn, especially on children who keep scratching the blister’s open, helps dry up the fluid, AND keep it from spreading.

Best stuff going for cleaning 'surface scuffs' (not true, into-the-plastic Scratches..) off CDs / DVDs to make them work like new again.. 👍

(..but I can just hear it now: '..Gampa? What are "See Dees"?? :)

jd
I wish I had known this before. This past year I borrowed many DVD's from the library, and some of them were so damaged the DVD player didn't even recognize them. This topic alone could be a thread, imho.

I wish I had known this before...

Well, let's fire up the 'Way Back Machine', and get this thread up Last Year! :)

Srsly, yeah, a nice 'low-lint', soft cloth (ie: scrapped cotton t-shirt / diaper, etc) and some Dawn / water works really well to get Most 'scuff deposits' off, that foils the laser-feedback, and keeps it from being 'recognized'.

jd

Well, let's fire up the 'Way Back Machine', and get this thread up Last Year! :)

Srsly, yeah, a nice 'low-lint', soft cloth (ie: scrapped cotton t-shirt / diaper, etc) and some Dawn / water works really well to get Most 'scuff deposits' off, that foils the laser-feedback, and keeps it from being 'recognized'.

jd
My ex had a kit for keeping his LP albums in excellent shape. It involved a liquid, a special velvet like tool, and a gun like tool that put out a red light (I think) to calm down the static and keep the dust away. I wouldn't have thought to touch any of it. Our daughter inherited all of his stuff, and I think he would roll over in his grave that that kit is no longer being used when she plays his LPs.

My neighbor is a horticulturist. When I have issues with my lawn with Oxalis or yellow woodsorrel, he suggests to add a drop of Dawn to the sprayer when spraying chemicals on the lawn. This breaks the water droplets into a full coverage mist which will lay directly on top of the weeds to eradicate them.

MANICURE SECRET
Soak fingers in full-strength blue Dawn. It makes the cuticles soft and easy to work with. And it removes the natural oil from the fingernails, which allows the polish to adhere very well.
I looked everywhere and can't find a better place to park this :(.
It may be helpful as many of us are getting older.
My wedding band has been off my finger a grand total of 2 times in the last 7 years (for surgery).
Both times required a lot of saliva and pain (I have huge knuckles:().
Wish I had known this trick:

Latest posts

Back