Day to day happenings...archaeologists uncover hidden city in Kansas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I live in what was Cherokee land back in the day. We are 1.5 miles from the river. One day while tiling the garden after moving out here a small rock turned up that caught my eye. Stopped to pick it up and found a nice arrowhead. Unfortunately the tiller had took a tip off the shaft end, found it to. A few years later I found a much rougher piece. I try and always keep an eye out when working in the garden.

Around here artifacts are almost as common as dirt. These belong to a friend… I’ve an older cousin who has farmed cotton his whole life. His collection should be in a museum.

Speaking of which… about 60 miles away is a city built by the mound building peoples… https://moundville.ua.edu/ancient-site/

It’s a neat place to visit, I try to go once a year.

Arrow heads show 1 (1)_v1.png
Arrow heads show 2_v1.png

Most of what we read about early Americans is pure conjecture. There are no written records of any kind. So historians write their "guesses" about what happened back then.
How far back are you talking? In the late 1600s-1700s there were written records. Also, paleoanthropologists have filled in some holes. I’m Creek and have tried learning what I can about my tribe, and the indigenous populations.

StarChick, that expression, "The Lord willing and the creeks don't rise" means that someone will do what they said they will do...providing nothing (like floods, etc.) stops them.

Some of us here are interested in collecting rocks, ancient artifacts and shells, etc. so I thought I'd post this here. I've never been to Kansas, this location is close to the state line of OK.
Have you ever found arrowheads and the like on your property?
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-kansas-lost-city-20180819-htmlstory.html#

Shells! Lots and lots of shells! One of my old homeplaces was in a Cajun fishing community south of New Orleans. Everyone's lawns and gardens had an abundance of clam shells in the soil. Every shovel full of soil yielded a handful of them. The soil was definitely rich in calcium!

The diet of the original Native American inhabitants of the area included lots of clams and oysters and so they made huge mounds of shells to bury their dead in because the ground was too swampy. (To this day, we bury our dead in aboveground crypts. Google "Cities of the Dead" New Orleans.) In addition to scattered mounds, the shells are evidence of many, many generations of people who loved to dine on oysters and clams.

When I lived in the French Quarter of New Orleans, an old building burned in the neighborhood and had to be razed. The dozers unearthed all kinds of neat things in the soil beneath the building, such as old silver coins, silver spoons and other trappings of life in eighteenth-century New Orleans.

Shells! Lots and lots of shells! One of my old homeplaces was in a Cajun fishing community south of New Orleans. Everyone's lawns and gardens had an abundance of clam shells in the soil. Every shovel full of soil yielded a handful of them. The soil was definitely rich in calcium!

The original Native American inhabitants of the area ate lots of clams and oysters and made huge mounds of shells to bury their dead because the ground is too swampy. (To this day, we bury our dead in aboveground crypts. Google "Cities of the Dead" New Orleans.) In addition to scattered mounds, the shells are evidence of many, many generations of people who loved to dine on oysters and clams.

When I lived in the French Quarter of New Orleans, an old building burned in the neighborhood and had to be razed. The dozers unearthed all kinds of neat things in the soil beneath the building, such as old silver coins, silver spoons and other trappings of life in eighteenth-century New Orleans.

Okay, one day I’m going to visit LA! Cities of the Dead sounds quite interesting!

LOL No pot stirring from me. I honestly don’t understand the meaning of the quote. I’m Muscogee Creek, and I’m still learning about my culture. I believe the quote is based in Christianity though. I’m just confused, but honestly that’s nothing new. LOL

There is an older meaning behind that sayin' "Good Lord willing and the Creeks don't rise" meaning the Creek Nation.... funny thing about ole sayins' they pick up all sorts of connotations.... me & mine, Chickasaw.... ;)

There is an older meaning behind that sayin' "Good Lord willing and the Creeks don't rise" meaning the Creek Nation.... funny thing about ole sayins' they pick up all sorts of connotations.... me & mine, Chickasaw.... ;)

I suspect that qualifies as "a rural legend".

As Grizz says, it means that you will do as you say if at all possible. For a long time I thought it referred to a flood or disaster. Recently it has been pointed out to me that the term originated when the Creek Indians were threatening uprisings. No pot stirring intended, it is just an expression that I grew up with.

There is a little bit of Blackfeet in me as well as Stockbridge.

As Grizz says, it means that you will do as you say if at all possible. For a long time I thought it referred to a flood or disaster. Recently it has been pointed out to me that the term originated when the Creek Indians were threatening uprisings. No pot stirring intended, it is just an expression that I grew up with.

There is a little bit of Blackfeet in me as well as Stockbridge.

As a child my mom tried her best to keep my history, our family history, a secret. In some ways I know why, but it still hurts. It hurts a lot when I think of how much I missed out as a child. I’m still learning about my family history, and even my own culture. At one time I was ashamed to say I’m Creek, but now I honor that and guard it. I just wish my grandfather had seen how proud I am to say I’m Creek. (((HUGS)))

As a child my mom tried her best to keep my history, our family history, a secret. In some ways I know why, but it still hurts. It hurts a lot when I think of how much I missed out as a child. I’m still learning about my family history, and even my own culture. At one time I was ashamed to say I’m Creek, but now I honor that and guard it. I just wish my grandfather had seen how proud I am to say I’m Creek. (((HUGS)))

It gets pretty clear, after we get past the school history books, that Andy Jackson was a S.O.B.

It was never a big deal around the house. We were just as proud of the native history as the Scott, Irish, German, or English.

Latest posts

Back