Daylilies are no longer lilies!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The Scientific Classification of Daylilies Changed in 2009
Prior to 2009, the scientific classification of daylilies put them into the family Liliaceae. Many Liliaceae species, including that toxic tiger lily just mentioned (along with the commonly named Easter and Asian lilies), have long been known to be harmful to forms of animal life including humans, and so some came to assume that daylilies shared the specific toxic properties of lilies. They do not.

In 2009, under the APG III system, daylilies were removed from the Liliaceae family and assigned to the Xanthorrhoeaceae family, subfamily Hemerocallidoideae.

The Old and New Classifications of Hemerocallis
Old ClassificationNew Classification - APG III
Kingdom: PlantaeKingdom: Plantae
Subkingdom: Tracheobionta (Vascular plants)clade: Angiosperms
Superdivision: Spermatophyta (Seed plants)clade: Monocots
Division: Magnoliophyta (Flowering plants)Order: Asparagales
Class: Liliopsida (Monocotyledons)Family: Xanthorrhoeaceae
Subclass: LiliidaeSubfamily: Hemerocallidoideae
Order: LilialesGenus: Hemerocallis
Family: Liliaceae (Lily family)
Genus: Hemerocallis L. (Daylily)
Unfortunately, many sources on the web and elsewhere have not taken this change of scientific classification into account.

I’d read long ago about the edibility of the common lily of my youth, which we incorrectly called tiger lilies because of their orange stripes. But this would have been in the 1980s, when edible flowers reached their trendy zenith. Nasturtium flowers all over the plate, anyone? Meh. My young self wrote off lilies as part of that prancy fad.

I first foraged for daylilies in Massachusetts, years ago. Any of you ever been to Cape Ann? Gloucester is covered in daylilies, and its ritzier neighbor Rockport has more daylilies than grass. Daylilies are the most common flower on the whole freaking island. So common my sister Lizz and my brother-in-law Mark have tons of them in their tiny yard.

https://honest-food.net/dining-on-daylilies/

I wasn't aware that either was edible or not edible (which is strange since I like to plant edible plants.) I do like to eat violets :)
Can't change the name of somethings so "common." They've been daylilies for a hundred or so years.

I wasn't aware that either was edible or not edible (which is strange since I like to plant edible plants.) I do like to eat violets :)
Can't change the name of somethings so "common." They've been daylilies for a hundred or so years.
I have a list of 32 edible flowers, but I am not sure where the book is at this time.

If you’re just looking for a quick list, here’s a quick list of edible flowers below. If you’re looking for some tasty recipes for using each flower, or wondering how they taste, read on my friends.
  • Angelica
  • Anise Hyssop
  • Bachelors Buttons
  • Bee Balm
  • Begonia
  • Borage
  • Black Locust
  • Calendula
  • Carnations
  • Chamomile
  • Chickory
  • Chives (and other alliums)
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Clover
  • Daisy
  • Dame’s Rocket
  • Dandelions
  • Daylilies
  • Elderflower
  • Fireweed
  • Forsythia
  • Fruit Blossoms (Apple, pear, plum, citrus, etc)
  • Hibiscus
  • Hollyhock
  • Honeysuckle
  • Hostas
  • Lavender
  • Lilac
  • Linden
  • Marshmallow
  • Meadowsweet
  • Milkweed
  • Nasturtium
  • Peonies
  • Phlox
  • Rose
  • Scented Geraniums
  • Sunflowers
  • Tulips
  • Violets
  • 40+ Edible Flowers (and How to Use Them)
  • I am hijacking my own thread

If you’re just looking for a quick list, here’s a quick list of edible flowers below. If you’re looking for some tasty recipes for using each flower, or wondering how they taste, read on my friends.
  • Angelica
  • Anise Hyssop
  • Bachelors Buttons
  • Bee Balm
  • Begonia
  • Borage
  • Black Locust
  • Calendula
  • Carnations
  • Chamomile
  • Chickory
  • Chives (and other alliums)
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Clover
  • Daisy
  • Dame’s Rocket
  • Dandelions
  • Daylilies
  • Elderflower
  • Fireweed
  • Forsythia
  • Fruit Blossoms (Apple, pear, plum, citrus, etc)
  • Hibiscus
  • Hollyhock
  • Honeysuckle
  • Hostas
  • Lavender
  • Lilac
  • Linden
  • Marshmallow
  • Meadowsweet
  • Milkweed
  • Nasturtium
  • Peonies
  • Phlox
  • Rose
  • Scented Geraniums
  • Sunflowers
  • Tulips
  • Violets
  • 40+ Edible Flowers (and How to Use Them)
  • I am hijacking my own thread
Thank you~ many of these I knew and have planted. I will print this for a quick reference :)

Latest posts

Back