Dead plum tree coming back?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesY

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So I planted a plum. It didn't make it but now there are sprouts coming from the graft area? Will they be plum sprouts?
20180421_092712.jpg

Attachments

• 20180421_092706.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180421_092649.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
Okay, being the plant expert (NOT) I will bite, What is "Root Stock"? It it coming back or something else?
Many trees are made by grafting a branch from a desired tree onto the root of another tree, often an apple or plum, and from the part grafted on, you get the desired tree type. Sometimes companies sell trees with several varieties on one tree. That is because a basic tree had the others grafted onto it. The grafting of trees onto root stock is very, very common. I have a pear tree that is grafted onto a root stock.

When this is done, you can never be sure that the seeds from the fruit that you get from a tree will produce the same type of fruit that you picked from the tree.

It looks like that one is growing from where the graft was made, and from the original root that the desired tree was grafted.

The root stock in this video is large and older, not what you typically purchase.

If is above the graft then it may be your plum. If its below or at the graft its root stock. We have roses that had the graft freeze and die. What came up from the root stock was, in my opinion, better/prettier than the grafted stock.

Root stock is most often the same genus as the plant being grafted. The root stock as, mentioned above, is far more hardy than the grafted plant. It is more resistant to drought, disease and pestilence than the plant being grafted. That said, all peaches, plums, cherries, apples and roses are is a higher family of plants named Rosaceae, the rose family. They are all related.

Latest posts

Back