1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with deliveries (and a locked farm gate)

Discussion in 'Country Living Questions' started by Melancholy Bear, Dec 14, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 14, 2019 #1

Melancholy Bear

Melancholy Bear

Melancholy Bear

Friend Neighbor

How do you handle deliveries of large packages that won't fit in a standard mailbox when you have a locked farm gate at the road? I'm trying to think of solutions, particularly in wet weather.

Peanut, joel, Bacpacker and 3 others like this.
  2. Dec 14, 2019 #2

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

You could put up a small shed or weather proof wooden box or a plastic deck box. Something the package delivery person could secure with a padlock or something after making a delivery.

3. Dec 14, 2019 #3

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer Neighbor HCL Supporter

Well, if you are near to where Fedex/UPS does such things, you could look at the "express" box they use. It's really a lot like the on-the-street USmail box, except with a bigger opening. You could build one from wood and a few makeshift steel parts pretty easily.

Peanut, goshengirl, Bacpacker and 3 others like this.
  4. Dec 14, 2019 #4

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Get a locking parcel box. It comes with a lock the the postman uses upon delivery and the other side you have a key for.
    For UPS and FedEx you could build a box that has an attached security padlock. They may or may not lock it but the option is there.

5. Dec 14, 2019 #5

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

The standard rural mailbox comes in a larger size. I've know people who had both, the smaller for letters, etc. and the larger for parcels.

I would also consider something similar to what Sentry mentioned: a lockable box. I have seen where people have them specifically for packages. I saw one and once saw the woman who lived at the house where it was. She said they always had packages disappear until they got their delivery box. It has the ability to lock, but once it had been there for a while, people got used to it. They no longer lock it and packages no longer go missing.

6. Dec 14, 2019 #6

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Although we know its not wise we have had a locked gate here for 23 years and our packages get left at our gate,if raining they put them in plastic bags.
    Our dogs do bark if anyone gets close or stops in front of our gate.
    We've thought of getting a box for packages but we'd have to cut a whole thru the gate or fence. Maybe a box inside with a shoot on it. Sloped enough to slide deliveries into but far enough away so they can't reach in easy to get them.

7. Dec 14, 2019 #7

Just Cliff

Just Cliff

Just Cliff

I use an old chest freezer for my deliveries. My UPS guy knows the drill. The USPS guy just takes them by my other place and leaves them on the back porch.
    The Fedex guy is a lazy retard. He has told the office that I don't live there and he wont deliver to the freezer of down the driveway. EXAMPLE: Of lazy. When my step mom died friends from over the country sent flowers by Fedex. We didn't know they had been sent. 3 weeks later I found them in the wood line by halfway down the driveway. I had to call and apologize to all of them for not acknowledging the gifts flowers.

8. Dec 15, 2019 #8

Cascadian

Cascadian

Cascadian

We just use a metal trash can with a lid just I inside the gate. The dogs take care of the rest. They never bother the delivery guy.

Peanut, Amish Heart, Sentry18 and 5 others like this.
  9. Dec 16, 2019 #9

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I would think people wouldn't think of looking in the trash can for packages. I did have one on my deck that I used for dog food. One day it was gone, dog food and all!

Peanut, Meerkat and Caribou like this.
  10. Dec 16, 2019 #10

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

Thieves don't go to every door, only to the ones where they can see a package. Any box could hide the presence of presents. The risk of checking makes it less desirable without a guaranteed gain. At my last home we had an arctic entry and the FedEx and UPS were trained to leave the packages inside the entry porch. Even an ell shaped raised flower bed could hide the packages.

11. Dec 17, 2019 #11

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

We use the post offices address and pick them up there. That's what the post master told us to do when the theft was reported.

12. Feb 15, 2020 at 1:20 AM #12

zannej

zannej

zannej

Friend Neighbor

We haven't implemented it yet, but our plan is to get an automatic gate opener with a lock and give the temporary unlock code to the UPS/FedEx driver to open the gate to enter. Not sure how well it will work, but hopefully we can figure it out.

13. Feb 15, 2020 at 1:19 PM #13

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Those drivers are not vetted by the company for criminal background so giving them access is a bad Idea. It would be better to give them a time schedule and meet them at the gate - armed - to pick up your package. If that is problematic then arrange to pick up your shipment in town.
    When you have the item tracked you can request a specific time or to pick up the item at their location in town. If that is not possible or difficult to make work then see if a business in town will accept the item and hold it for you. Then you can go into town and get it. (choose a place that you do business with and has become a friend)

14. Feb 15, 2020 at 5:21 PM #14

zannej

zannej

zannej

Friend Neighbor

Sheepdog, there aren't any places in town I trust to not steal packages. However, my delivery guys for FedEx and UPS have been pretty good lately.
    But, that is why I said a TEMPORARY code. The gate opener I bought (but need to install) allows you to set a code that expires so it can't be re-used.

15. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:36 PM #15

Double R

Double R

Double R

Our gates are never unlocked unless we’re going through. We used to have packages just set over the gate behind the gate post. That did well for many years. Then the drivers started being followed by the thief’s. We added a big package box with a lock and it’s been great. No more issues. There’s a small sign explaining that all carriers are to use it and lock it when finished. However for really large packages they are set in an empty “decorative” old livestock trough. We have one on each side of the gate for “decoration”. So if there’s multiple deliveries or to large of a package they just stick it in the trough and it’s hidden in something that doesn’t look like it’s for packages. We no longer have issues. It’s been quite a few years now. Neighbors packages are still stollen but ours so far have been safe. We do have a camera pointed at the box/troughs in case there ends up being an issue. Out of sight is a huge help for sure. Locks help even more. Package thief’s want quick and easy.

16. Feb 18, 2020 at 9:28 PM #16

zannej

zannej

zannej

Friend Neighbor

I always wanted to try a glitterbomb to get thieving neighbors, but for the most part, I always knew who took my packages and went straight to their trailer to demand my stuff back. They would pretend that they took it out of the kindness of their hearts and intended to bring the packages to me. It's one of the advantages of living at a dead end on the end of an unpaved road. It's not easy for people to follow the delivery truck or even get to my place. My brother-in-law once caught his neighbor on his porch trying to take packages. Neighbor made some excuse about wanting to see if one of his packages had been delivered by mistake. My brother-in-law said "If your f*ing package got dropped off, I'd f*ing bring it to your f*ing door! So you have no f*ing business being on my f*ing porch! Get the f* off my porch and don't come back!" He's from New Jersey & doesn't even realize when he's swearing. LOL.
    He's got cameras and good security system as well as multiple firearms but he lives in a suburban area in a HOA area. I could never live in a place like that. I don't want to see my neighbors, hear them, or have to put up with HOA rules.

Bacpacker, Caribou and Patchouli like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted