Dealing with People who are "ENRAGED"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Request mature adult discussion. I put this in Prepping, as that is where my fear exists, and I have zero idea how to deal with this, short of what we know is the last and final option.

So, I am looking for anything short of the final option. For the early part of this thread assume it is quickly clear, or worse "instantly" clear you cannot reason with this person or several persons.

I am truly stunned that I have reached my age and have never encountered people like this. Until six or eight weeks ago. You can NOT reason with them; they cannot comprehend there is any point of view then theirs. And at your first encounter they arrived wild with rage.

The reason I started this thread in Prepping Forum is I always assumed if someone showed up asking for help, I could have a discussion with them. I never in all my mental walk throughs (tabletop game planning) of possible encounters, envisioned someone you can't communicate with, and is in a rage.

Get away from them NOW.
You are never going to calm the situation down so don't even try.
It has never happened to me in real life. But in a SHTF situation, where I answer the door. I am trapped inside the cabin. I expect I would not live to get back into the cabin.

i agree with backlash, there are some people that can never be reasoned with because they do not operate with reason, it is emotion that runs them.
you will always be wrong and just by not agreeing with them you become enemy. you will always be wrong, stubborn, selfish, blind. to their version of truth. they are incapable of contemplating other options.

im thinking the jabs are adding to this.

It has never happened to me in real life. But in a SHTF situation, where I answer the door. I am trapped inside the cabin. I expect I would not live to get back into the cabin.

i guess for us, that is more likely to be a bear at our door than a human at our door. You know better than me what to do if it’s a bear.

As our friend Ol Remus would say, the best option is to avoid human contact. That sometimes is not achievable.

Rationalizing with an irrational human is likely not going to be productive. I would first attempt to de-escalate in any way that I can. Assuming from your scenario that I was trapped inside my cabin, and rational discussion was no longer possible, I would ask them to leave, close and lock the door, and get small on the floor with my weapon of choice pointed at the door. If truly SHTF, absent any true rule of law, more lethal options might be considered. But I won’t go there here.

Fortunately I have an escape hatch, but this wouldn’t be a great option if my cabin was surrounded by multiple parties. The best option is de-escalation. There are effective courses on non-violent de-escalation techniques if this is of interest.

I am obsessed with having run every possible encounter with bears and humans, so I don't have to think when it is real, just act.
I am now thinking don't even answer the door. If they kick the door in, I would have a far better chance of surviving. Having the blackout curtain closed would help, also. Having food in a barrel near the door might be prudent.

Last edited:
Well, here's my take on dealing with enraged types: as long as they are just ranting, I don't pay 'em much mind, but if they lay a finger on me or knot up and swing, THEN it's perfectly okay to defend myself. And I'm good at defending myself, I had some good instructors, lol... but I also believe that enough trouble comes to a man in his lifetime without his having to go look for it! Same goes for women. If you're having doubts about opening the door to some wanker in an enraged state, don't answer the door... or answer it with a loaded pistol in your hand and be prepared to defend yourself. Especially on your OWN property: a man's home is his castle, and he has a right to defend it and himself. :confused:

Worst-case scenario, you cap the jackhole and go to jury trial over the shooting, I doubt any jury would convict once they knew the facts. Plus you can always "shoot to wound" if you don't like the idea of killing somebody... personally, if someone attempted to assault me on my doorstep, I'd have no problem blastin' the fool. Maybe give him a shot of bear spray first, along with a stern warning to get off your property. Pistol in your other hand, of course. Just my $.02 on this subject, no point living in fear, it's not a healthy way to live. Age doesn't matter too much when it comes to squeezing a trigger, whether that trigger is on a pistol or a can of bear spray. Just sayin'... ;)

Seems like total avoidance would be the best policy. If you encointer them outside walk away, and put distance between you, quickly. If they knock on the door don't answer it. If they persist and break in, all bets are off and you are defending yourself.

I would be curious to know what got them so enraged in the first place.

I don't have an answer, other than to agree with Morgan, but I found people are angrier than they used to be over everything. (I have my own personal thoughts on this which is for another discussion)
but whatever it is, its worrying.

I am truly stunned that I have reached my age and have never encountered people like this. Until six or eight weeks ago. You can NOT reason with them; they cannot comprehend there is any point of view then theirs. And at your first encounter they arrived wild with rage.

That would be my trigger that all bets are off and to prepare for a standoff. If it was that noticeable there will be no reasoning with them and I wouldn't even try. I would be in full defense mode.

I'm speaking from a position at home during SHTF scenario.

Scenario 1:
Away from home. Do not make eye contact, back up and ask what the problem is (unless you KNOW what the problem is.) keep backing away
and speak softly, but prepare to defend yourself. I find my walking cane deters all but the most idiotic crack/meth heads. If not, a cocked 1911 placed to the temple defuses all but a maniac!

Scenario 2:
At home. The gods made drum mags for a reason. putting "Beware of dog" and "no trespassing" signs all over tends to broadcast the fact you might be a tad anti-social. after SHTF a few skulls on poles might underscore the fact.

Drugs. Alternative states of consciousness. It's a real and growing problem. Not only the usual street drugs. But steroids too.

I've always been a sort of gym rat. During college years, I worked part time at a gym. I'm acutely aware of roid rage.

You are dealing with a person in fear. Fear of inadequacy. Fear of rejection. Fear of loss of self identity. Ego protection. The situation can escalate quicker than you are prepared for. Don't contribute to escalation. Keep your mouth shut and eyes wide open. Keep your distance and stand sideways to the aggressor.

Wait for a pause in the tirade to walk away. If there is no pause and they continue to close the gap, accept that you are in for a fight. There can pass that point of no return. That is out of your control. But you can control your reaction.

Don't appear confrontational and don't shout back. And don't make gestures as you walk away. Usually time will pass that cools things down. Incidents of rage are short lived high intensity. The greater the aggressors fear, the more amplified the drug affect. You can expect a heartfelt apology a while after it's over. Once again, be humble and ready to forgive, but not forget. Certain people are habitual in that behavior. Especially when the drugs hook em?

PMS is real! I can remember going thru that and sometimes I'd make a mountain out of a mole hill for no particular reason. I know it's not the same as the 'rage' you are talking about, but it's similar. Hubby would just avoid me and not say a whole lot. He'd let me have my little fit and move along. Later I'd realize what an azz I was. I'm so glad those hormonal days are behind me. Of coarse, I had a lot more on my plate back then with a job, raising the kids, and lack of sleep.....so more played into it than just hormones. I'm sure the stresses of life that people are feeling right now aren't getting any better in the world we live in now.

I've never encountered someone I didn't know in a real fit of rage. Even the druggies in the hospital were calmed down by the time they were admitted. So, I guess I would err on the side of caution and avoid eye contact and confrontation at all costs and try like heck to get out of the situation.

I don't open the door to strangers at home. If I want to talk to them for any reason, I open the window by the door and speak, using the dogs as an excuse for not opening the door. If they tried to break in, it would give me time to go for my gun. By the time they got in, they'd wish they hadn't.

Modern "education" has helped to create a lot of people who become enraged if you don't agree with them, how ever they usually wilt when they encounter a greater force, IE confidence vs arrogance. Drug related rage go with Magus option,
People en mass may become pretty enraged when they find out that officialdom has been lying for centuries and pretty much every thing that we have been presented with as history is false.

There can be several possibilities to why someone is enraged. It can be due to mental illness, some drug reaction, or angry person at life in general or specific reason. In your situation, Sourdough, you are alone in the woods, so I would possibly deal with the person like dealing with a bear, depending on their behavior towards you. I carry mace.

I was at a dog park in a city park this past summer where a man with questionable mental health background went off, angry at the world. He was a regular there, rolling his powered wheelchair under a gazebo with electrical access and plugging in his very loud boombox, and blasting his obnoxious music about once a week, usually Fridays. One particular day, he was angry at the world and everyone in the park. He was talking about having bullets for the parents and children on the playground (about a dozen) and all the people in the dog park. That included me, since I was there. At one point in time shortly after he started, I yelled out, "Call 911." My friend with me called and was told that there were several calls to 911. My thought was that it was best to leave, and as I was driving away, two police SUVs drove up. My friend was still there and told me that there was a mental health worker who stayed with the man while the police vehicles left. I haven't seen the man since.
He was angry, but not physically aggressive towards anyone, but verbally aggressive toward everyone. In spite of being in a wheelchair, if he had had a gun, he could have hurt several people.

I have access to 911 reporting, but not everyone does. Police are not always able to show up quickly. In this instance, there were multiple reports within a couple minutes and that illustrated the urgency of this situation, and therefore the response time. I have always said that just one person reporting or complaining is not nearly as effective as multiple reports or complaints.

This subject has me remembering my days that I worked in a county jail. Some of the craziest enraged type moments I witnessed were from females.
But for both genders, high stress, some kind of mental heath issue coupled with some kind of addiction n usually comming down off a high can trigger some wild moments.
A person cant sustain an enraged moment for too long however truly violent crazy people tend to have more stamina and endurance. Probable because their brains aren't working right to begin with is my guess. If its excited delirium scenario, they will burn out and usually die .
It was interesting watching people lose it but I had the opportunity to witness from a secure perspective.

It has taught me to never underestimate what anyone is capable of ever..

Even though we not in a shtf yet I employ a mindset with my security covered. Like having defense tools ready, within reach or on my person. Crime n rural burglaries have increased unfortunately, so I've stepped up what I can do like always keep my doors locked even during the day. I've talked to my neighbors about utilizing handy talkies and increasing our awareness n watching for anyone who doesn't belong.
If someone comes around here, starts destroying my stuff or tries to break in or threatens me..I wont be trying to deesclate or talking or calling 911.

I will not be dragged through a criminal catering dysfunctional court system for defending myself n what I've worked hard for. I dont go looking for trouble or hurt anyone. If someone makes a bad choice to try n harm me the consequence is on them.

All that said I hope I never have to utilize what I've mentally n physically prepared myself to have to possibly do, but I have seen the workings of crazy criminal minds and it's a ever decreasing thin barrier from that world to our civil society we currently enjoy.

Cool/chill can be contagious - if you can keep your cool when interacting with enraged people (in a place WROL and with people who are undisciplined and heavily armed) - it some times rubs off.

.....or if it doesn't.....some times their heads mysteriously come off.

Always be prepared.

People en mass may become pretty enraged when they find out that officialdom has been lying for centuries and pretty much every thing that we have been presented with as history is false.
Oh, they will, they will....After that, they will grow up or blow up and have all of seven years to figure out what to do with the truth and actual reality, the
age of self responsibility will have arrived.

Ya know, OP, before I log out and watch some entertainment, I just wanna say this: I don't have ANY faith in our judicial system anymore, but if this wanker you encountered is a "neighbor" you don't really wanna know, you can apply for a restraining order to settle that fool down. When badges show at the moron's door, that usually makes his kind take notice, and he may be less likely to bother you in the future. Again, I'm NOT big on Johnny Law or the so-called 'Justice Department' after my long ordeal in Kalifornia, but this option DOES exist for YOU. Whether you wanna bother with it, well, that's your decision. Moi, I'd just keep the bear spray and a loaded gat handy, lol... :rolleyes:

Request mature adult discussion. I put this in Prepping, as that is where my fear exists, and I have zero idea how to deal with this, short of what we know is the last and final option.

So, I am looking for anything short of the final option. For the early part of this thread assume it is quickly clear, or worse "instantly" clear you cannot reason with this person or several persons.

The reason I started this thread in Prepping Forum is I always assumed if someone showed up asking for help, I could have a discussion with them. I never in all my mental walk throughs (tabletop game planning) of possible encounters, envisioned someone you can't communicate with, and is in a rage.
You've been very lucky. I've spent most of my life around people like that, professionally, and personally.
I'm trying to figure out how to answer the question, because I've just taken it for granted that you do what you have to do, depending on the situation.

One of my biggest 'failures' was when I underestimated a nice 65 year old mormon and ended up having to pry his teeth out of my fore-arm while he was doing his best to take a bite out of me. If it was the zombie apocalypse, I would have been patient 1. I still feel bad about that. Never want to think of myself as the guy in the movie that dies in the first scene....but thats what happened. I bought some kevlar sleeves after that.

D80c1aP.jpg

I guess the answer is simply, fight or flight. If you can run, you run, if you can't, you fight.

I guess the answer is simply, fight or flight. If you can run, you run, if you can't, you fight.
There-in lay my deep concern. I can't "now" do either. Which leaves only, the last option.

You've been very lucky. I've spent most of my life around people like that, professionally, and personally.
I'm trying to figure out how to answer the question, because I've just taken it for granted that you do what you have to do, depending on the situation.

One of my biggest 'failures' was when I underestimated a nice 65 year old mormon and ended up having to pry his teeth out of my fore-arm while he was doing his best to take a bite out of me. If it was the zombie apocalypse, I would have been patient 1. I still feel bad about that. Never want to think of myself as the guy in the movie that dies in the first scene....but thats what happened. I bought some kevlar sleeves after that.

D80c1aP.jpg

So how many of those teeth got knocked out after he bit you?

. Plus you can always "shoot to wound" if you don't like the idea of killing somebody... personally, if someone attempted to assault me on my doorstep, I'd have no problem blastin' the fool. Maybe give him a shot of bear spray first, along with a stern warning to get off your property. Pistol in your other hand, of course. Just my $.02 on this subject, no point living in fear, it's not a healthy way to live. Age doesn't matter too much when it comes to squeezing a trigger, whether that trigger is on a pistol or a can of bear spray. Just sayin'... ;)
Even though I know this thread is troll-bait, there are 2 things that haven't been mentioned:
1. Rack the slide on your weapon.
That "Cling-Clang" speaks the same in every language :oops:. You may be amazed how fast things will de-escalate when they hear that sound. This is well documented in the past. I keep all of my weapons with 'empty chambers'.
2. Fire rounds into the ground.
Any guy that is still there after having dirt blasted up in front of his shoes, wants to die.

Last edited:
The last trouble I had was at the wood lot during my "escape from society"
A bunch of drunk poachers who ignored the no trespassing signs and cut the lock off the gate. They did not like the fact I was camped right in the middle of the road, they liked it even less when I showed off my FAL and cycled one in the chamber. The morons actually called the cops on me! By that time the owner was there and the cops I had called had shown up. Guess who went to jail? wasn't me! :D

Enraged idiots can not be rationally talked down, they are beyond that point and are at aggression state of mind I suggest that you walk away if not your property disengage turn on your heal and go
if it is your property, do the same thing while you call the police,

if you feel that you must engage and get physical learn the laws of your state first
Is it a stand your ground state?
Are you expected to turn and run?
Can you shoot a person on your property or only indoors
This is research that you need on your cerebellum

Good points by 'The Supe' and Frodo! One reason why pump shotguns are so popular for home defense is that when ya jack a shell, that distinctive noise is recognized by just about everyone, and perps in particular... once they know you're ready to blast 'em, that tends to settle 'em down. My brother Pete and friend Jon both used shotguns to confront intruders who had broken into their separate homes in Coronado: in the first incident, the perp ran off (but my friend & I caught him shortly thereafter when we rolled up a minute later), and in the second incident, Jon directed the guy down to the ground where the cops cuffed him moments later. So that distinctive pump action is one way to send a message that you're prepared to defend yourself. Lever carbines make distinctive noise too, easily recognizable... :oops:

And Frodo brought up an excellent point: not all states have a "stand your ground" law like Arizona (one reason why I miss that state), and the laws can also be funny about HOW you went about defending yourself. In Kalifornia, you can be charged for blasting some fool in your yard---the perp has to be in your home before you can "legally" blast him. In the past, I heard folks joke about dragging the perp into your home afterward, but that course of action may not bear further investigation. Best to know the laws in your state, so you don't find yourself under arrest and/or indictment even though you were simply trying to defend your home & yourself. Remember, in that seaside ghetto known as the Socialist Republik of Kalimexifornia, the laws are all in favor of the perp, not you, the homeowner with a weapon for defense. 😒

P.S. They're always looking for new "inmate" candidates for their huge jailhouse funding scam in that seaside dump. :confused:

Did this person come onto your property to confront you? If so how did they leave ? Still mad n crazy , made threats? Or was this out in public ? Do you know if he is a known with the local LE ? Or the town nutjob? Or is this a male version of an entitled Karen ?
I guess in the long run if your threatened with no options but to defend yourself it doesn't matter. While this all depends on the situation , I would like to know who I'm dealing with if I could get the information without anyone else knowing I'm gathering Intel.

Back