Dealing with the heat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It is almost summer and the heat can be hard to take sometimes. Working outside in the heat can zap all of my energy. I have things that I do to help feel better, but am wondering if there are other ideas that some of you use.

I find that one of the few times I drink soda is when I am hot and sweaty, from mowing and other outside activities in the hot sun. It seems to be one of the things that helps me feel better. I don't drink much soda normally, just when I feel over heated.

Eating cool food, such as a salad helps me as well.

A shower also helps me feel better. I worked in the cafeteria when I was in college and most meals I worked in the dish washing room. All the dishes were ceramic. No disposable dishes were used. They had a big industrial dish washer and dishes were scraped, stacked, loaded, sprayed, pushed through the dishwasher, stacked and put away. I remember one really hot day in college when I took 5 showers. I probably took one when I got up, after breakfast dishes, after lunch dishes, after dinner dishes, and at bed time.

Sitting with the lights low helps my eyes feel better.

Of course air conditioning or an evaporative cooler help.

The best thing for me is to stay out of the sun and not exert myself outside when it is hot.

What about you? What do you do when it is really hot to feel better?

Great topic. We cover this in our weekly safety meetings at work from May until September, as well as our prejob briefs for certain work. My crew works outside a lot and we discuss it regularly. Staying hydrated is the #1 most important thing you can do. Mostly water, but enough electrolyte replacement to keep you balanced. Take regular breaks, and this can run from every 15 minutes to an hour depending on heat and humidity. Check your heart rate every time you break, if it's elevated break more often if you need to keep working. Take breaks in cooled areas, or at least in a shaded area. Watch out for others working around you. And pay close attention to heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke symptoms.

I wet my slip under my skirt. Wring it out and put it back on. Cousin taught me that one.
Wet a bandana, roll it up, tie around your neck or wear as a head scarf. I got one at Dollar Tree awhile back that was rolled already and had little balls like in a bean bag chair made into it to retain the water.
Inside with no airconditioning...a bowl of ice on a chair, turn on a fan and let it blow over the ice.
I drink soda in the summer sometimes too, Weedy. Otherwise never.

Some fruits and vegetables, like celery, watermelon, cucumber, lemons, and lime, have cooling properties. I love lemonade!

There are also herbs that are called refrigerants because of their cooling action. Teas made with herbs such as Chamomile, Passionflower, Lemongrass, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Spearmint, and Peppermint are naturally cooling. I like to make ice tea blends with these great tasting herbs!

As someone who grew up working in cotton and corn fields in the Alabama summer heat… and hay fields as an adult.

Diet is the single greatest controlling factor for regulating body heat… NO MEAT! for breakfast or lunch! Especially red meat! That said I wouldn’t touch tuna salad for lunch with a 10ft pole! No Meat! When our bodies break down proteins they generate a lot of internal heat, far more than when we eat veggies or fruit.

Our bodies need protein… eat loads of protein for dinner. When your inside, out of the heat and the day’s work is done.

I went into bootcamp in Orlando FL on Labor Day weekend. It may have been September but it was still hot in Florida.

About half my company were northern boys… Every day at breakfast I told them “No sausage, no bacon” at lunch I’d tell them “No chicken, no porkchops”. Did they listen, of course not!

There was a place we called the “Grinder”. A 5-acre area, flat and paved. It’s where we would drill, march etc, it was HOT! Every day we would get intermittent showers… humidity steaming off the pavement. We’d march and drill for hours.

Every day we would have 15 or 20 guys carted off the medics with heat exhaustion… the northern boys wouldn’t listen to me! The ones who ate meat at breakfast or lunch. By the end of bootcamp they were all listening!

Meat has the greatest impact on body temperature in hot weather and the simplest to control. There are other forms of protein that can be had for breakfast & lunch... peanut butter for example... It's still protein and will generate heat but not as much as a porkchop.

Thought I’d add a bit more… as a teenager I would cut timber for a cousin during school summer vacation… (hang a chainsaw off your arm all day in July… it’s hot)

I might allow myself 1/2 a scrambled egg at breakfast, the rest… fruits and veggies… Maybe a peanut butter sandwich at lunch with only a thin coat of peanut butter.

For dinner I craved a steak wrapped in bacon with a porkchop on the side!

As most of us are older… Past 60 our bodies begin to lose precise control of our body temperature… we have to be more careful.

2 years ago my then 83 year old dad would try to help me bale hay in the bama summer heat. He was on the verge of heat stroke every moment. I could tell when the heat got to him… he was like a drunk man driving a hay rake. There were lots of days when he shouldn’t have been out in a hayfield but he was stubborn.

Again, our diet is the single greatest factor in dealing with summer heat.

i wear a straw hat with a bandanna pinned across the back of it.having long hair probably helps out somewhat. and drink water at room/outside temperature the body has to work harder when the drink is cold..
I do have long hair, but typically have it in a pony tail when I'm out in the heat. It obviously gets soaked from the seat, but does seem to provide a little relief. Also holds water when I pour some over my head for a while.

Peanut, I've never heard that about meat/protien before. I will give it a try. I usually try and eat some good protien before I start a long hot day. It seems to keep me going longer. But I have struggled with over heating since I worked in a packing house back in the 80's. Working in the smokehouses moving meat out as soon as it's finished cooking, or cleaning with high pressure hot water got me. My meat thermometer I carried would regularly show temps of 120-130 for periods. I had worked in the hay since before i was a teeneager and was always in the barn. Temps were always high up there, but it never really bothered me. But after the packing house I've had a hard time.

Again, our diet is the single greatest factor in dealing with summer heat.

I figured that I wasn't getting hot this summer because i have lost so much weight. Now am thinking it is mostly because I only eat chicken or fish and only later in the afternoon or evening. Thanks for the info!

Wonder if that style of eating is why I was so cold this winter? It really wasn't a cold winter here.

Vitamin C!

Some years ago, I read of a study on the cooling effects of Vitamin C in the human body. One of the groups studied were diamond mine workers in Africa. Normally, the mortality rate was pretty high, along with an astronomical rate of varying levels of heat stroke and heat exhaustion requiring medical care.

The workers that received Vitamin C had a much lower incidence of heat-related issues.

I told a friend of mine who is a construction worker/roofer in the Deep South (HOT) about this trick. He tried it and told other coworkers about it. Now they are fans of Vitamin C. They generally take 500 mgs with breakfast, and another one at lunch time.

Peanut, I've never heard that about meat/protien before. I will give it a try. I usually try and eat some good protien before I start a long hot day. It seems to keep me going longer.

This was something I was taught as a child by family. If picking cotton in Oct or pulling corn in Nov... by all means, eat all the protein you want for breakfast or lunch.

In summer the temp really didn't start to climb until 9:30 or 10am. If we were going to work early a scrambled egg was fine at 6:30. If we really needed some protein at lunch our go to was cold egg salad or a little cold fish, definitely no hot food.

In bootcamp that year most guys showed up completely out of shape and temps would hit 90 by 8am. Those guys dropped like flies. Within a month most were following my suggestions and were coping much better.

I was on a delayed entry program... I worked out at a gym 3 nights a week after work and ran the days I didn't work out for 90 days. Between that and the way I ate bootcamp was a breeze for me except one little hick up. One day right after lunch were out on the grinder drilling. I always get a little drowsy after a meal. We were standing at parade rest while one of the DI's were yelling at a few of the guys. I fell asleep and dropped my rifle! The sound of the rifle woke me up. I had to run extra laps for that.

Last edited:
In July 2011 I was working in what was the hottest place in the western hemisphere - south Central Minnesota. The lowest high temp in that time was 99° and the humidity was in the mid to high eighties. The heat index on the tracks, near the crushed stone and steel rails baking in the sun, was around 145 every day. To compound this it had flooded and we were working in the forest so there was no breeze. In this type of humidity your sweat does no good at all. Shade and hydration are your only defense and hydration is the key. There were 5 of us, each drinking 50-60 ounces of water per hour, and we sweated it all out. None of us had to pee at all. A little Gatorade is helpful but hydrating at night is more important IMO. Avoid alcohol and drink water all night. If you're behind in the morning, you may never catch up. I've fallen out twice in the heat after long work hours - not heat stroke, but my body just plain gave out and I was done. I barely had strength to walk. In both cases I hadn't drank enough water. You can't will yourself to do any more in such a situation.

On a side note, sports drinks can give give you nasty green runs if you drink too much of them. You generally don't need that much electrolytes to replace what you lose in sweat. Your diet will generally replace most of what you sweat out and cold fruit helps replace electrolytes and is one of the most satisfying things on Earth on a hot day. A cold apple on a hot day is better than a steak on Saturday night...:D

Amen to the cold apple! I was always partial to cold oranges. Another thing... family would sometimes make a simple fruit salad for lunch. Another mid summer trick... Grandpa would put a cantaloupe or small watermelon in the creek. We'd break between 1&2pm (the hottest part of the day) and have some melon. The water temp was probably 65 degrees but that seemed like heaven when it was above 95 in a field.

Great topic. We cover this in our weekly safety meetings at work from May until September, as well as our prejob briefs for certain work. My crew works outside a lot and we discuss it regularly. Staying hydrated is the #1 most important thing you can do. Mostly water, but enough electrolyte replacement to keep you balanced. Take regular breaks, and this can run from every 15 minutes to an hour depending on heat and humidity. Check your heart rate every time you break, if it's elevated break more often if you need to keep working. Take breaks in cooled areas, or at least in a shaded area. Watch out for others working around you. And pay close attention to heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke symptoms.

There are a few recipes for making electrolyte replacement. I wonder what else people drink or use for that purpose?

Here is a copy and paste of something from another place a few years ago.
Rehydration formulas
I add one teaspoon Morton LiteSalt to one gallon water.
Here is why ...........
page 118 Let's Eat Right by Adelle Davis
Under normal circumstances, a healthy person runs little risk of deficiencies of sodium and chlorine. In extremely hot weather, however, so much salt can be lost through perspiration that death may occur.
Death from salt deficiency occurred during the construction of Boulder Dam and similar projects. During the blistering summer of 1933 I corresponded with an engineer who was working on Parker Dam. Each letter contained some such note as, "We had a wonderful cook but he died yesterday of sunstroke." The symptoms of sunstroke are now recognized as caused largely by loss of salt through perspiration.
A lack of salt causes symptoms varying in severity from mild lassitude, weariness, or hot-weather fatigue, common during heat waves, to heat cramp, heat exhaustion, and heatstroke, familiar to those who work in iron foundries, furnace or boiler rooms, and industrial plants such as steel or paper mills. Even persons who play tennis or take similar exercise during hot weather may suffer from heat stroke.
Persons working in extremely hot weather are often advised to take a salt tablet with each drink of water.
page 187 there are three nutrients - potassium, sodium and chlorine which we need in quite large amounts. Sodium and chlorine are supplied by tablet salt.

Morton LiteSalt 11 oz about 99 cents
1 oz = 6 teaspoons
11 oz = 66 teaspoons= 76,560 mg sodium, and 89,760 mg potassium

1 teaspoon
1160 mg sodium
1360 mg potassium
40% iodine

One gallon water 128 oz has 16 each 8 oz servings.......
8 oz water has 72mg sodium 85 mg K
8 oz Gatorade 110mg sodium 30 mg K
p273 "Let's eat right" by Adelle Davis "People who salt food lightly should add 3,000 mg sodium to a day's dietary, and those who enjoy well salted food 7,000 mg. Normally, the intake of potassium should be approximately the same as that of sodium, and calcium intake should be 2/3 that of phosphorus."

Gatorade per 8oz serving
total fat.....................0 grams
sodium .................110 mg
potassium................30 mg
total carb.................14 grams
sugars.....................14 grams
protein .....................0 grams
Anonymous said...
A good REHYDRATION FORMULA
•¼ tsp real salt
•¼ tsp no salt (potassium chloride)
•¼ tsp baking soda
•2 ½ tsp sugar

Adding koolaide helps make it taste better

^^^ It's my understanding that the amount of salt needed is now considered less than it was not so long ago. Unless a person is on a sodium restricted diet (and many of us probably are) dietary sodium intake is probably sufficient for most of us. I use sugar free electrolyte powder mix if I think I need it. Your body will tell you what you need - if you take a drink of electrolyte enhanced fluids, and then end up downing the whole bottle non stop, because you don't feel like you can get enough of it, you were probably deficient...either way it's a good idea to have something like Weedy's mix on hand. I'd consider it cheap insurance against heat induced problems.

I have posted these before, maybe in the old forum... RecoverORS... an hydration IV in powdered form...

https://www.amazon.com/RecoverORS-Clinical-Electrolytes-Hydration-Rehydration/dp/B008OCZ7TU

I buy these, have used them on 2 occasions... And keep a couple boxes in my gear. Shelf life of several years.

Recover 002_v1.jpg

Great stuff folks. Several ideas in here I. Gonna try. Vit c for one. The CD melon trick is something g we always did we
Working in the hay. The electrolytes replacement sounds good to. At work they provide Gatorade, but I always recommend 3 bottles of water to 1 Gatorade at least. Or even limit to 1 bottle per day.
Spike is right as well. You hydrate the day before for what you are doing g that day. If you wait you'll never catch up.
Keep it coming folks.

The powder packets are great. A number of years ago we purchased some to add to water bottles. Both my daughter and I got headaches when we used it. We ended up giving them away. It is good to give these things a try when you purchase them to see how well they work for you. I no longer remember the name or brand, but we purchased them at Costco.

At work we are provided with Squincher Kwik Stix, which is basically sugar free powdered Gatorade. Wally World has generic Great Value electrolyte powder packets for a couple bucks a box...

We carry these for my daughter. Part of her medical issues causes low blood volume and dehydration. She's on a high salt - min of 120oz of fluids per day diet.

Forgot to mention...my construction worker friend also swears by drinking about an ounce of organic pickle juice on the super hot days. Also eats a small amount of organic sauerkraut as well (not commercial stuff that has been pasteurized and is laden with excessive salt, etc.) He said that he has not suffered a single muscle cramp since he has incorporated this into his summertime diet.

Amen to the cold apple! I was always partial to cold oranges. Another thing... family would sometimes make a simple fruit salad for lunch. Another mid summer trick... Grandpa would put a cantaloupe or small watermelon in the creek. We'd break between 1&2pm (the hottest part of the day) and have some melon. The water temp was probably 65 degrees but that seemed like heaven when it was above 95 in a field.

We use to put melons in the creek too. :cool:

Forgot to mention...my construction worker friend also swears by drinking about an ounce of organic pickle juice on the super hot days. Also eats a small amount of organic sauerkraut as well (not commercial stuff that has been pasteurized and is laden with excessive salt, etc.) He said that he has not suffered a single muscle cramp since he has incorporated this into his summertime diet.

At GM Assembly lines we had salt tablets dispensers all over the plant in summer. Do they have electrolytes in them too?

At GM Assembly lines we had salt tablets dispensers all over the plant in summer. Do they have electrolytes in them too?

My dad used to keep salt tablets for hot summer days. It looks as though salt by itself is not good. However, in combination with a few other things
https://www.hammernutrition.com/kno...ent-why-its-important-and-how-to-do-it-right/

ELECTROLYTES EXPLAINED
Electrolytes are chemicals that form ions in body fluids. They help make sure specific bodily functions run at optimal levels. Too few electrolytes will cause the body to cramp. As serious athletes know, cramping can make a big difference on race day. So how do we prevent cramping and keep our body running at its peak performance levels? We keep it supplied with the needed amount of electrolytes.

Proper fueling during exercise requires more than replenishing calories and fluids; it involves consistent and adequate electrolyte support as well. Electrolyte needs vary much more than either caloric or hydration needs, so you will have to experiment quite a bit in training until you have this aspect of your fueling tailored to your specific requirements under various conditions.

Electrolytes are analogous to the motor oil in your car—they don’t make the engine run, but they’re absolutely necessary to keep everything running smoothly. Proper functioning of the digestive, nervous, cardiac, and muscular systems depends on adequate electrolyte levels.

Muscle cramping, though there are many theories as to why it happens, usually involves improper hydration and/or improper electrolyte replenishment. No one wants to cramp, of course, but remember, cramping is a place far down the road of electrolyte depletion. Cramping is your body’s painful way of saying, “Hey! I’m on empty! Resupply me now or I’m going to stop!” It’s like the oil light on the dash; you never want it to get that low.

That’s precisely why you shouldn't wait for cramps to remind you to take electrolytes. Just as you shouldn’t wait until you bonk before you refuel, or you’re dehydrated before you replenish fluids, your regime should always include these essentials... (leaving out advertisement)

WHAT ARE ELECTROLYTES? WHY DO I NEED THEM?
Electrolytes are chemicals that form electrically charged particles (ions) in body fluids. These ions carry the electrical energy necessary for many functions, including muscle contractions and transmission of nerve impulses. Many bodily functions depend on electrolytes. Optimal performance requires a consistent and adequate supply of these important nutrients.

Many athletes neglect consistent electrolyte replenishment because they've never had cramping problems. Even if you've been fortunate enough to have never suffered the painful, debilitating effects of cramping, you still need to provide your body with a consistent and adequate supply of electrolytes. Why? Because the goal in replenishing electrolytes is not so much to prevent cramping, but to maintain specific bodily functions at optimal levels. Cramping is your body's way of letting you know that, in terms of electrolytes, it's on empty. When you've reached that point, your performance has been severely compromised for some time. Remember, you want your body to perform smoothly, without interruption or compromise. Just as you shouldn't wait until you're dehydrated or bonking before you replenish fluids or calories, you never want to wait until you're cramping before replenishing electrolytes. Consistent replenishment of electrolytes is just as important as the fuel you consume and the water you drink during exercise.

CAN'T I JUST USE SALT TABLETS?
Salt tablets are an unacceptable choice for electrolyte replenishment for two reasons:

1. They provide only two of the electrolytes your body requires - sodium and chloride.
  2. They can oversupply sodium, thereby overwhelming the body’s complex mechanism for regulating sodium.
Each of these issues is important, and we’ll discuss both of them. Right now, let’s focus primarily on the second one.

Far too many athletes have suffered needlessly with swollen hands and feet from water retention due to ingestion of salt tablets or electrolyte products that were too high in sodium during prolonged exercise in the heat. The body has very effective mechanisms to regulate and recirculate sodium from body stores. Excess sodium consumption interferes with or neutralizes these complex mechanisms. Sweat generates large sodium losses, which is monitored closely through hormonal receptors throughout the body. However, rapid sodium replacement neutralizes the system, allowing water intake to dilute the sodium content. High-sodium electrolyte supplementation compromises the natural physiological control of serum electrolytes. Once the body detects an increase in sodium from exogenous sources (food, salt tablets, or products too high in sodium), the hormone aldosterone signals the kidneys to stop filtering and recirculating sodium. Instead, the kidneys will excrete sodium and another hormone, vasopressin, will redominate and cause fluid retention. While ingesting large amounts of sodium may temporarily resolve a sodium deficiency, doing so substantially increases the risk of a number of other problems, including increased fluid storage in the form of swelling (edema) in the extremities. Consequences also include elevated blood pressure and an increased rate of sodium excretion. All of these inhibit performance. If you've ever finished a workout or race with swollen hands, wrists, feet, or ankles, or if you have experienced puffiness under your eyes and around your cheeks, chances are your sodium/salt intake was too high.

The truth is that the human body needs only a minute amount of sodium to function normally. We require a mere 500 mg of sodium each day, athletes maybe 2,000 mg. This is easily supplied by natural, unprocessed foods. However, the average American consumes approximately 6,000-8,000 mg per day, well above the upper end of the recommended dose of 2,300 - 2,400 mg/day.* (See asterik on page 44) The average athlete stores at least 8,000 mg of dietary sodium in tissues and has these stores available during exercise. In other words, you already have a vast reservoir of sodium available in your body from your diet, ready to serve you during exercise. In addition, your body has a highly complex and efficient way of monitoring and recirculating sodium back into the blood, which it does to maintain homeostasis. You do need to replenish sodium during exercise, but you must do so with amounts that cooperate with, and do not override, these complex body mechanisms.

*In 2009, data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provided additional scientific evidence that the majority of Americans over the age of twenty should limit the amount of sodium (salt) they consume daily to 1,500 milligrams (mg) to prevent and reduce high blood pressure.

THE HEALTH CONSEQUENCES OF HIGH SODIUM
Not only are high-sodium diets bad for your health, but those who consume large amounts of sodium in their diet are guaranteed greater sodium loss rates and will require greater sodium intakes during exercise. Sodium, as you probably know, drives thirst, and thirst drives drinking until excess results is definitely not a performance-enhancing scenario.

My dad used to keep salt tablets for hot summer days. It looks as though salt by itself is not good. However, in combination with a few other things
https://www.hammernutrition.com/kno...ent-why-its-important-and-how-to-do-it-right/

ELECTROLYTES EXPLAINED
Electrolytes are chemicals that form ions in body fluids. They help make sure specific bodily functions run at optimal levels. Too few electrolytes will cause the body to cramp. As serious athletes know, cramping can make a big difference on race day. So how do we prevent cramping and keep our body running at its peak performance levels? We keep it supplied with the needed amount of electrolytes.

Proper fueling during exercise requires more than replenishing calories and fluids; it involves consistent and adequate electrolyte support as well. Electrolyte needs vary much more than either caloric or hydration needs, so you will have to experiment quite a bit in training until you have this aspect of your fueling tailored to your specific requirements under various conditions.

Electrolytes are analogous to the motor oil in your car—they don’t make the engine run, but they’re absolutely necessary to keep everything running smoothly. Proper functioning of the digestive, nervous, cardiac, and muscular systems depends on adequate electrolyte levels.

Muscle cramping, though there are many theories as to why it happens, usually involves improper hydration and/or improper electrolyte replenishment. No one wants to cramp, of course, but remember, cramping is a place far down the road of electrolyte depletion. Cramping is your body’s painful way of saying, “Hey! I’m on empty! Resupply me now or I’m going to stop!” It’s like the oil light on the dash; you never want it to get that low.

That’s precisely why you shouldn't wait for cramps to remind you to take electrolytes. Just as you shouldn’t wait until you bonk before you refuel, or you’re dehydrated before you replenish fluids, your regime should always include these essentials... (leaving out advertisement)

WHAT ARE ELECTROLYTES? WHY DO I NEED THEM?
Electrolytes are chemicals that form electrically charged particles (ions) in body fluids. These ions carry the electrical energy necessary for many functions, including muscle contractions and transmission of nerve impulses. Many bodily functions depend on electrolytes. Optimal performance requires a consistent and adequate supply of these important nutrients.

Many athletes neglect consistent electrolyte replenishment because they've never had cramping problems. Even if you've been fortunate enough to have never suffered the painful, debilitating effects of cramping, you still need to provide your body with a consistent and adequate supply of electrolytes. Why? Because the goal in replenishing electrolytes is not so much to prevent cramping, but to maintain specific bodily functions at optimal levels. Cramping is your body's way of letting you know that, in terms of electrolytes, it's on empty. When you've reached that point, your performance has been severely compromised for some time. Remember, you want your body to perform smoothly, without interruption or compromise. Just as you shouldn't wait until you're dehydrated or bonking before you replenish fluids or calories, you never want to wait until you're cramping before replenishing electrolytes. Consistent replenishment of electrolytes is just as important as the fuel you consume and the water you drink during exercise.

CAN'T I JUST USE SALT TABLETS?
Salt tablets are an unacceptable choice for electrolyte replenishment for two reasons:

1. They provide only two of the electrolytes your body requires - sodium and chloride.
  2. They can oversupply sodium, thereby overwhelming the body’s complex mechanism for regulating sodium.
Each of these issues is important, and we’ll discuss both of them. Right now, let’s focus primarily on the second one.

Far too many athletes have suffered needlessly with swollen hands and feet from water retention due to ingestion of salt tablets or electrolyte products that were too high in sodium during prolonged exercise in the heat. The body has very effective mechanisms to regulate and recirculate sodium from body stores. Excess sodium consumption interferes with or neutralizes these complex mechanisms. Sweat generates large sodium losses, which is monitored closely through hormonal receptors throughout the body. However, rapid sodium replacement neutralizes the system, allowing water intake to dilute the sodium content. High-sodium electrolyte supplementation compromises the natural physiological control of serum electrolytes. Once the body detects an increase in sodium from exogenous sources (food, salt tablets, or products too high in sodium), the hormone aldosterone signals the kidneys to stop filtering and recirculating sodium. Instead, the kidneys will excrete sodium and another hormone, vasopressin, will redominate and cause fluid retention. While ingesting large amounts of sodium may temporarily resolve a sodium deficiency, doing so substantially increases the risk of a number of other problems, including increased fluid storage in the form of swelling (edema) in the extremities. Consequences also include elevated blood pressure and an increased rate of sodium excretion. All of these inhibit performance. If you've ever finished a workout or race with swollen hands, wrists, feet, or ankles, or if you have experienced puffiness under your eyes and around your cheeks, chances are your sodium/salt intake was too high.

The truth is that the human body needs only a minute amount of sodium to function normally. We require a mere 500 mg of sodium each day, athletes maybe 2,000 mg. This is easily supplied by natural, unprocessed foods. However, the average American consumes approximately 6,000-8,000 mg per day, well above the upper end of the recommended dose of 2,300 - 2,400 mg/day.* (See asterik on page 44) The average athlete stores at least 8,000 mg of dietary sodium in tissues and has these stores available during exercise. In other words, you already have a vast reservoir of sodium available in your body from your diet, ready to serve you during exercise. In addition, your body has a highly complex and efficient way of monitoring and recirculating sodium back into the blood, which it does to maintain homeostasis. You do need to replenish sodium during exercise, but you must do so with amounts that cooperate with, and do not override, these complex body mechanisms.

*In 2009, data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provided additional scientific evidence that the majority of Americans over the age of twenty should limit the amount of sodium (salt) they consume daily to 1,500 milligrams (mg) to prevent and reduce high blood pressure.

THE HEALTH CONSEQUENCES OF HIGH SODIUM
Not only are high-sodium diets bad for your health, but those who consume large amounts of sodium in their diet are guaranteed greater sodium loss rates and will require greater sodium intakes during exercise. Sodium, as you probably know, drives thirst, and thirst drives drinking until excess results is definitely not a performance-enhancing scenario.

Very interesting , too much sodium means too little sodium absorption.
So I guess those salt tablets had other ingredients in them too.

Very interesting , too much sodium means too little sodium absorption.
So I guess those salt tablets had other ingredients in them too.
I think they probably did. The tablets my dad had probably did as well.

I think having something similar to this would be a great prep to have. I do like the recipe for the electrolyte replacement, but this is ready to go.

Latest posts

Back