Dealing with the heat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a reminder - if you're being really active, stay away from alcohol in this kind of heat. I like a nice cold beer when it's nasty hot outside, but booze is bad news. Not only is it a diuretic (makes you pee out the fluids you take in) but the added stress of filtering out of your blood doesn't help your body in this heat...

Just a reminder - if you're being really active, stay away from alcohol in this kind of heat. I like a nice cold beer when it's nasty hot outside, but booze is bad news. Not only is it a diuretic (makes you pee out the fluids you take in) but the added stress of filtering out of your blood doesn't help your body in this heat...

I agree. I drink a beer now and then. But not in the heat and only one a couple times a month. I don't really want more than one anyway. I use to drink 2 over ice and with tomato juice.

Here in the tropics i take 3 cold showers a day.
I get out to the garden at day break and just before sunset.
There are less mosquitoes at mid day though.
One really hot year I dragged a horse trough under the mango trees and filled it with water and I practially lived in it.
It was good late afternoons laying back with a ice cold softdrink or a beer.

Wow Meer, Our heat idex has been upper 90's last few days. I don't want to think about 105.
I've been going out around 730-8 and work for an hour or so in the evenings after I get in from work. It's still hot, but at least some of the garden is shaded by then. I'd prefer to hit it in the mornings, but have to be at work by 7 and have a 45 minute drive so no chance of that.

Wow Meer, Our heat idex has been upper 90's last few days. I don't want to think about 105.
I've been going out around 730-8 and work for an hour or so in the evenings after I get in from work. It's still hot, but at least some of the garden is shaded by then. I'd prefer to hit it in the mornings, but have to be at work by 7 and have a 45 minute drive so no chance of that.

BacP hope you work inside. This heat is bad now. It got to be even hotter here today than they predicted. Had to go to dr. appt and couldn't use AC in van alternator was bad so we din't want to risk it. Riding was bearable but sitting still got hot. Then people would pull up to us at parts store go inside and leave their vehicle running!:( So it was even hotter and couldn't go inside and leave van unlocked while they put battery in.
I'd hate to think of how these people will deal with shtf.

They wont be able to. Part of my job is in the office, but part is in the field as well. My crews work is 70% outside and I have to guide them during parts of it and make sure they are watching out for the heat. But most of my time outside is here at the house. I just try and keep an eye on things and not over do it.
Lots of folks today have no clue how to get by without all the ease of use things. And I'll admit up front I would miss them terribly if they were gone. AC being high on the list.

They wont be able to. Part of my job is in the office, but part is in the field as well. My crews work is 70% outside and I have to guide them during parts of it and make sure they are watching out for the heat. But most of my time outside is here at the house. I just try and keep an eye on things and not over do it.
Lots of folks today have no clue how to get by without all the ease of use things. And I'll admit up front I would miss them terribly if they were gone. AC being high on the list.
The older generations did things with the heat in mind. They built their houses to take advantage of breezes. They planned their heavy work in the morning and evening. We need to re-learn their knowledge...

Ice, ice baby. It is in the 90's today and it is hot. The ice maker in my fridge is getting a good workout.
Down here we have had temps in the 90's solid since May.
This unit is liquid cooled.
It's real simple.
Thermal transfer...
Cold beer in; hot pee out.
Toast.gif

*nobody panic, I'm retired and I aaaain't workin'!

Last edited:
Down here we have had temps in the 90's solid since May.
This unit is liquid cooled.
It's real simple.
Thermal transfer.
Cold beer in; hot pee out.View attachment 22685
*nobody panic, I'm retired and I aaaain't workin'!
I have no tolerance for heat and I especially do not like to be in the sun. I'm sorry, I would never want to be further south in the summer than I am. I was in Puerto Rico in 2007, end of July, early August. If I was somewhere where there was no AC, sitting down, I just nodded off. Beautiful place, but the heat was horrible.

I have no tolerance for heat and I especially do not like to be in the sun. I'm sorry, I would never want to be further south in the summer than I am. I was in Puerto Rico in 2007, end of July, early August. If I was somewhere where there was no AC, sitting down, I just nodded off. Beautiful place, but the heat was horrible.
Down here when the relative-humidity is between 85% and 100% (which is most of the time), evaporative-cooling (sweating) doesn't work. It just drips on the ground.
You need something like watermelon that makes you dump the heat.
Now you know where swamps come from:D.
So why did I move down here the minute I retired?
Same reason there are 10-million retirees in Florida, arthritis.
Everybody else has to soak their sore joints in a hot bath.....
we just go outside:lil guy:.

I'm the other way. No tolerance for the cold. I'll take the heat and sun any day. It takes several weeks of hot weather to thaw me out from the previous winter!
I understand that. I can add layers and turn up the heat when it is cold and when I am cold. When it is hot, especially working or being outside, there is only so much you can take off and not get arrested!

ive heard the body has to work harder to get the drink at the proper temp when the drink is kept cold..so unless it's milk or what ever. i keep my drinks at room temp..
I am usually a room temperature person, unless I am really hot, as in this summer. I am also enjoying the ice maker in my new fridge, I had one in my previous fridge, but it had gone out and I had just never had it replaced.

I am usually a room temperature person, unless I am really hot, as in this summer. I am also enjoying the ice maker in my new fridge, I had one in my previous fridge, but it had gone out and I had just never had it replaced.

Weedy I'm drinking less ice water these days too. Long as it is cold and not ice cold I think it is better for you.

Down here when the relative-humidity is between 85% and 100% (which is most of the time), evaporative-cooling (sweating) doesn't work. It just drips on the ground.
You need something like watermelon that makes you dump the heat.
Now you know where swamps come from:D.
So why did I move down here the minute I retired?
Same reason there are 10-million retirees in Florida, arthritis.
Everybody else has to soak their sore joints in a hot bath.....
we just go outside:lil guy:.

Now thats what I call positive thinking SuperV.:thumbs:

The older generations did things with the heat in mind. They built their houses to take advantage of breezes. They planned their heavy work in the morning and evening. We need to re-learn their knowledge...

Spike I know most of us southerners had attic fans that pulled the heat out. Or what they called swamp fans.
All the churches had little folding fans. I still have some of those. They did work too. :cool:

Last edited:

Me too BacP. That is the main reason I got this chest freezer with low amps. So I could keep ice and make me a little DIY AC using solar.:)

ive heard the body has to work harder to get the drink at the proper temp when the drink is kept cold..so unless it's milk or what ever. i keep my drinks at room temp..

Im still not convinced that isnt urban legend.. if you are hot giving the body a heat sink inside of you w/ a cold drink has to be helpful....
If a cold drink wasn't helpful humans would not have evolved a liking for it.

Im still not convinced that isnt urban legend.. if you are hot giving the body a heat sink inside of you w/ a cold drink has to be helpful....
If a cold drink wasn't helpful humans would not have evolved a liking for it.
I heard in India, they drink hot tea because it causes them to sweat which then cools them off. I am not sure that is the right strategy either.

I heard in India, they drink hot tea because it causes them to sweat which then cools them off. I am not sure that is the right strategy either.
I've heard that theory. If I'm already sweating, why do I need to warm myself up to cool off? If I'm trying to loose weight should I eat lots of pies and cookies? Hold on, I might be on to something here.

Weedy I'm drinking less ice water these days too. Long as it is cold and not ice cold I think it is better for you.
I try to never drink extremely cold drinks, especially when it's really hot. I want them cool, not cold. I also don't want it warm, though I'll certainly drink warm water if I have to. But if it's cold enough that I have to sip it instead of drinking it straight down, I don't want it. Unless it's beer, of course, beer should be ice cold...drink buddy

Latest posts

Back