Deep Thoughts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a picture, of a pipe.

It is a picture, of a pipe.

Very good Grasshopper.

The rice paper is the test.

Fragile as the wings of a Dragonfly.

Clinging as the cocoon of the Silkworm.

When you can walk its length and leave no trace, you will have learned.

Reactions: Neb
Very good Grasshopper.

The rice paper is the test.

Fragile as the wings of a Dragonfly.

Clinging as the cocoon of the Silkworm.

When you can walk its length and leave no trace, you will have learned.
Small world trivia.

I studied Kung Fu under Daniel K Pi grandson of that character from the TV show. Didn't get very far because I had go to sea. He trained another that trained Master Rothrock* that runs the school where The Princess is working on her 5th level black belt.

20220711_161841.jpg

Ben

* Previously married to Cynthia Rothrock...

Who is known in the school ad "she who shall not be named".

Small world trivia.

I studied Kung Fu under Daniel K Pi grandson of that character from the TV show. Didn't get very far because I had go to sea. He trained another that trained Master Rothrock* that runs the school where The Princess is working on her 5th level black belt.

View attachment 89669

Ben

* Previously married to Cynthia Rothrock...

Who is known in the school ad "she who shall not be named".

Don't tell me, don't tell me.

The plot of the movie involved two rival Kung Fu schools where the evil school killed the master of the good school thereby causing much pandemonium and, and...

Wait for it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

“It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life—daily and hourly. Our answer must consist, not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual.”

― Viktor E. Frankl,
Man's Search for Meaning
These ponderings remind me of Alan Watts. I love listening to him..what a interesting soul.

"If you can't do it slow, you can't do
it fast. Speed isn't a product of effort.
Speed results from efficiency.

Practice the components slowly. Slow
becomes smooth; smooth becomes fast.
Without practice, you move less but exert
more, so you get there fast with low quality
technique.

With practice, you move more but with
less effort, so although you transition with
less total movement time, you do so with
grace: injury-free and powerful.

When you master the fundamentals, although
you appear fast, it's not that you're attempting
to speed. You're merely moving more (joints)
so smoothly that you transition efficiently,
in less time than those who move fast with
high effort."

“To be sure, man's search for meaning may arouse inner tension rather than inner equilibrium. However, precisely such tension is an indispensable prerequisite of mental health. There is nothing in the world, I venture to say, that would so effectively help one to survive even the worst conditions as the knowledge that there is a meaning in one's life. There is much wisdom in the words of Nietzsche: "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how”

― Viktor Emil Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

Listen to what goes on inside you to see what goes on outside of you.

No matter where love blooms, weed killer is not far away.

The tastiest looking fruit often has the most worms.

To live is to die, but to change the world is to become immortal.

Rats get fat and good men die.

The greatest journey does not begin with a single step, it begins with deciding you are going to go.

When you are at your lowest, the only way to go is up!

Give a man a meal and he'll come back, kick his butt and steal his stuff and you'll never see him again.

Fools are notorious for having a dagger up their sleeves, best to deal with them just beyond arm's reach.

If I have my pack, a rifle and a blanket, I am free.

No matter if you have dazzled them with brilliance or baffled them with bull s***, you've proved you're smarter than they are!

I know Kung-Fu, Karate, Savat and many other words I can hurt myself with.

If you can not pick up everything you own and walk away, you are hoarding junk.

He with the most stuff sinks fastest when the ice breaks.

*Goes back to contemplating my navel.*

“Thus it can be seen that mental health is based on a certain degree of tension, the tension between what one has already achieved and what one still ought to accomplish, or the gap between what one is and what one should become. Such a tension is inherent in the human being and therefore is indispensable to mental well-being. We should not, then, be hesitant about challenging man with a potential meaning for him to fulfill. It is only thus that we evoke his will to meaning from its state of latency. I consider it a dangerous misconception of mental hygiene to assume that what man needs in the first place is equilibrium or, as it is called in biology "homeostasis", i.e., a tensionless state. What man actually needs is not a tensionless state but rather the striving and struggling for a worthwhile goal, a freely chosen task. What he needs is not the discharge of tension at any cost but the call of a potential meaning waiting to be fulfilled by him.”

― Viktor Emil Frankl,
Man's Search for Meaning

“Being human always points, and is directed, to something, or someone, other than oneself—be it meaning to fulfill or another human being to encounter. The more one forgets himself—by giving himself to a cause to serve or another person to love—the more human he is and the more he actualizes himself. ... What is called self-actualization is not an attainable aim at all, for the simple reason that the more one would strive for it, the more he would miss it. In other words, self-actualization is possible only as a side-effect of self-transcendence.”

― Viktor E. Frankl,
Man's Search for Meaning

“The story of the young woman whose death I witnessed in a concentration camp. It is a simple story. There is little to tell and it may sound as if I had invented it; but to me it seems like a poem. This young woman knew that she would die in the next few days. But when I talked to her she was cheerful in spite of this knowledge. "I am grateful that fate has hit me so hard," she told me. "In my former life I was spoiled and did not take spiritual accomplishments seriously." Pointing through the window of the hut, she said, "This tree here is the only friend I have in my loneliness." Through that window she could see just one branch of a chestnut tree, and on the branch were two blossoms. "I often talk to this tree," she said to me. I was startled and didn't quite know how to take her words. Was she delirious? Did she have occasional hallucinations? Anxiously I asked her if the tree replied. "Yes." What did it say to her? She answered, "It said to me, 'I am here-I am here-I am life, eternal life.”

― Viktor E. Frankl,
Man's Search for Meaning

Last edited:
"If you can't do it slow, you can't do
it fast. Speed isn't a product of effort.
Speed results from efficiency.

Practice the components slowly. Slow
becomes smooth; smooth becomes fast.
Without practice, you move less but exert
more, so you get there fast with low quality
technique.

With practice, you move more but with
less effort, so although you transition with
less total movement time, you do so with
grace: injury-free and powerful.

When you master the fundamentals, although
you appear fast, it's not that you're attempting
to speed. You're merely moving more (joints)
so smoothly that you transition efficiently,
in less time than those who move fast with
high effort."
The long way to say one of my favorite phrases pertaining to industrial work...

"Slow is smooth - and smooth is fast."

The long way to say one of my favorite phrases pertaining to industrial work...

"Slow is smooth - and smooth is fast."

For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. "

― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

Speed for the sake of speed alone is courting injury and disaster.

One can only go so fast with sloppy technique before they become unsafe and dangerous.

With excellence of technique, speed of accomplishment of the task is a byproduct.

Ecclesiastes 10:10 If the axe is dull and he does not sharpen its edge, then he must exert more strength. Wisdom has the advantage of bringing success.

"Don’t take refuge in the false security of consensus and the feeling that you’re bound to be okay because you’re safely in the majority."
- Christopher Hitchens

Latest posts

Back