Deep Well Hand Pump

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Any suggestions on a hand pump for a well 150' deep with water at 110'?

You find everything you need here ==> Baker Monitor Hand Pumps

They have the Baker Monitor force pump, brass cylinders, sucker rod, mounting flange, couplings, etc. You can get the drop pipe from the local hardware store.

It's the type of force well pump that we installed.
1666014509112.jpeg

Enlighten me, what's the difference? most of the wells here are less than 50'.
There are two ways in which water can be brought to the surface, by suction (vaccuum) or by force (pressure). Because of the surface tension of water it can only rise in a tube or pipe, by vacuum, for about 30 feet. After the distance, the water column will break and drop back into the well.

Theoretically, water can be pushed upward in a tube or pipe, by pressure (force), for an unlimited distance.

There are two ways in which water can be brought to the surface, by suction (vaccuum) or by force (pressure). Because of the surface tension of water it can only rise in a tube or pipe, by vacuum, for about 30 feet. After the distance, the water column will break and drop back into the well.

Theoretically, water can be pushed upward in a tube or pipe, by pressure (force), for an unlimited distance.
Yup!

The suction variety use atmospheric pressure to push the water up to fill the vacuum.

Ben

I looked into this once for my 300 foot pump.
I figured out I could buy a propane generator, water storage tank, propane tank and propane enough to last for five years of water use for the price of a hand pump.
Which is what I did.

We made a decent one out of a lawnmower motor and a car water pump. it would dry out a 200 gallon chemical tote in ten minutes. maybe an idea for emergencies?

While looking for pumps on line, use the term "well cylinder" I found this out years ago while looking for a pump.
Thanks for that info!! My wells are so deep I would need a major solar generator to pump water from them if there were no electricity or fuel in a shtf situation!

Thanks for that info!! My wells are so deep I would need a major solar generator to pump water from them if there were no electricity or fuel in a shtf situation!
Simple pump has a 12volt set up to pump with as an option.

Simple pump has a 12volt set up to pump with as an option.
I started looking into Simple Pumps, will be doing more homework. I can access other water sources temporarily in a shtf situation. One of my wells is right at 500', the other is 525+! Would like a more secure option for getting water if all goes bad!!

I started looking into Simple Pumps, will be doing more homework. I can access other water sources temporarily in a shtf situation. One of my wells is right at 500', the other is 525+! Would like a more secure option for getting water if all goes bad!!

what is the static water level?

my well is a bit over 500ft...but has static water at about 300 ft..so 200ft down to water line in it.

friends have a well at about 189ft..static water level is often at 9ft...i have seen it when it rains heavy blow the cover off well and it flows out the top of the well....lol

The generator is a great idea. I already have 2 generators and backup fuel. I am 40 miles from a ground zero so I don't want to rely on a smoke powered energy source, or a smoke powered pump for that matter. As long as my current pump and generator work that will be my primary source.

Right now I am favoring the Simple pump and with a 12V option. The 12V portion would be kept in a faraday cage. I would also like a bank of expansion tanks. I have a trap door into the crawl space so any new tanks can only be so wide.

I called this guy about putting in a pump for me. He said he has a eight month backlog, that I should contact............, & that they would take care of me. So there maybe a wait in your area & if you are in rocky soil the cost could double for the rock cutting head.

@elkhound I was wondering what volume of water is obtained for each stroke of a Simple Pump?
the second vid of engineer775 says set up shown is pumping a gallon and half a minute with a 4 inch stroke travel on the 12volt set up he done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back