Deer keep having their babies inside our fence. 5-17-2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Guess they figure it's safe here, everytime I ride around trail, I see another one. This morning fawn wasn't more than a little over a foot tall, and kept running back and forth inside the fence, so I just rode on like i've done with the last doe for the last several months. She is getting big now and visits us. When we're sitting on the porch they come up out of trail, and stand there staring at us, for several minutes. They been doing this for a long time now. :rolleyes:

1621275172465.png

They have the fawns here and they can't get back out till they are big enough to jump 5' no climb fence with 2' barbed wire on top. We didn't put the fence up to keep animals out but people were coming onto our property to hunt and collect drift wood.
Teen agers were using it to party and ride ATVs .
The babies are so cute.And the area is giving out of woods so many people are moving in now and cutting down their trees.

At least the deer have the decency to stay in the yard. We evicted a mother raccoon from the attic yesterday, and one of the babies today. We are not sure how many are left, but my wife can still hear them. Royal, and expensive PITA. Cute is not in my vocabulary right now.

At least the deer have the decency to stay in the yard. We evicted a mother raccoon from the attic yesterday, and one of the babies today. We are not sure how many are left, but my wife can still hear them. Royal, and expensive PITA. Cute is not in my vocabulary right now.

Mr.Meers sister raised an orphan raccoon for several years.He would peep out the window and see Mr.Meers dad coming and get mad. He liked most people,don't know how he knew he was a ex coon hunter.

Yeah that's true, sorry about those little critters herrashing your home Mogan. Hope y'all get them out soon. 👍

1621295464037.png

Last edited:
Both deer and raccoons are destructive here--deer on garden and fruit trees and raccoons love chickens. Not surprising when you live inside their natural territory, but a good livestock guardian dog is mandatory.

Both deer and raccoons are destructive here--deer on garden and fruit trees and raccoons love chickens. Not surprising when you live inside their natural territory, but a good livestock guardian dog is mandatory.

A few year ago we saw both of our livestock guardian dogs bark like crazy at something in the pasture. We went to investigate and it was a tiny deer kid. They didn't hurt it at all, probably because they are so similar to goat kids. But, they knew it was "different". We left it there and moved the dogs and the goats to a different area so momma deer could come get it. I think she did, we didn't see next day. Racoons will not be so lucky around here, those I will shoot if I can, they have murdered many of our chickens over the years. One got into the coop at night ( caught it on camera) through a tiny gap between the roof and wall, and killed 6 in one night. We ended up putting a specific raccoon foot trap out and got him.

A few year ago we saw both of our livestock guardian dogs bark like crazy at something in the pasture. We went to investigate and it was a tiny deer kid. They didn't hurt it at all, probably because they are so similar to goat kids. But, they knew it was "different". We left it there and moved the dogs and the goats to a different area so momma deer could come get it. I think she did, we didn't see next day. Racoons will not be so lucky around here, those I will shoot if I can, they have murdered many of our chickens over the years. One got into the coop at night ( caught it on camera) through a tiny gap between the roof and wall, and killed 6 in one night. We ended up putting a specific raccoon foot trap out and got him.

Back when I lived there decades ago they had a bounty on Coyotes, the ranchers I knew hated them because of what they do to the livestock.

Back when I lived there decades ago they had a bounty on Coyotes, the ranchers I knew hated them because of what they do to the livestock.
One of a very few critters left on my 'shoot it now' list.
Venomous snakes, feral hogs, coyotes, gators.
We don't need any of those. Shoot them. Shoot them all!
machine-gun.gif

On topic: We hunted deer when I was young because we needed food.
Years later we raised deer.
I couldn't shoot them anymore.
They are too lovable. :huggs:

For us its the moose. Especially when the snow gets deep. The yearlings that are surviving their first winter. And pregnant mamas that are stressed by neighborhood dogs, starvation n folks harassing them. Shooting at them. So they get kinda ornery. I do enjoy seeing them

Back