Dehydrating raw milk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamelina

Friend
Neighbor
Hello Everyone. Does anyone know if I can dehydrate raw milk without heating it up first on the stove?

How do you plan on removing half the water content without heating it - on the stove or otherwise?

Reactions: Neb
Dehydrating things with a high fat content isn't recommended. Most milk is dehydrated non fat. Guess you could pull the cream out of it (make some butter) and put the non fat portion in a pie pan and put it in the dehydrator. Would work if you have a shelf type dehydrator, like an excalibur. Problem is, you won't get many flakes from it, and you'll use lots in electricity. Not really worth it.
Raw milk: I'd freeze it, or pressure can it, or make butter from the cream, or make cheese.
I have not freeze dried milk. Not sure how that would work. We have a freeze dryer arriving in July.

I have not tried dehydrating milk, raw or otherwise so I don't know how to do it properly. I am sure there are videos on youtube of how to do it, IDK. I have canned whole store bought milk just because I don't have raw milk to do it with. It does change the taste and texture a bit, mainly is thicker and more like evaporated. I figure it will work just fine for cooking and if need be to add a bit of water for drinking.

I have tried to dehydrate chicken broth to make powdered boullion. I didn't like the results I got. Lots of dehydrating time for very little product afterward and didn't seem worth the effort in the long run.

Latest posts

Back