dehydrating

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dehydrated 1 large bunch of celery and 1 kilo of red capsicums in the dehydrator last night.

The celery fit into 2 half pint jars - 1 of stem and the other of leaf. The leaf would have taken up less space but I didn't want to crush it down to dust.

The capsicum fit into 1 half pint.

Super space saving and so easy it's ridiculous.

Onions are next.

I dehydrated 1 large bunch of celery and 1 kilo of red capsicums in the dehydrator last night.

The celery fit into 2 half pint jars - 1 of stem and the other of leaf. The leaf would have taken up less space but I didn't want to crush it down to dust.

Onions are next.
My God! If you need space you just have to dehydrate. I put 7 squash in one bag after dehydrating. Just rehydrate and your ready to go. Being here in Florida it's very important if not just for prepping but for hurricane issues. I'll never be without for another natural disaster. Just awesome in my opinion. I'm going to get a generac for possible other power issues as well. http://www.generac.com. I know...not everyone can afford one. I'll just count myself blessed
I will also be good to others and share my bounty when needed....

@Dutchs You will love having the Generac especially during hurricane season.

I've been shredding zucchini, yellow squash, and patty squash lately. Honestly I can eat these like potato chips. Just sprinkle with a little salt.
@Dani I have a ton of yellow squash
Would you mind telling me about shredding it? I've lost 22 lbs in 8 weeks and it's just from eating better and right!

Last edited:

Onions are next.

I crush the leaves for celery powder. Makes it easier to sneak it onto stuff where hubby and the kids can't pick it out.

When I dehydrate any of these type summer squash, I just shred and lay out on the dehydrator sheets to dehydrate till crisp. If I slice I blanch but by shredding you eliminate that step. Unless you separate a few times while drying, the shreds will stick together kinda like a waffle fry so easy to just add any type seasoning you would like to eat on a snack. Dry till crispy.

I will use shreds to make cakes and breads like @Amish Heart, but easily ground up to throw in sauces so my hunny doesn't know like @Terri9630. Sometimes us women have to get creative to get our hunny's to eat other veggies besides the basic, peas, green beans & corn. ;)

When I dehydrate any of these type summer squash, I just shred and lay out on the dehydrator sheets to dehydrate till crisp. If I slice I blanch but by shredding you eliminate that step. Unless you separate a few times while drying, the shreds will stick together kinda like a waffle fry so easy to just add any type seasoning you would like to eat on a snack. Dry till crispy.

I will use shreds to make cakes and breads like @Amish Heart, but easily ground up to throw in sauces so my hunny doesn't know like @Terri9630. Sometimes us women have to get creative to get our hunny's to eat other veggies besides the basic, peas, green beans & corn. ;)

I'm going to try that with the squash next week. Haven't used my dehydrator much lately. Once it's out, I will keep using it!

You got your hubby to eat peas, green beans and corn??! :eyeballs: I can't get mine past potatoes, pinto beans and chilies. :rolleyes:

Inspiring thread for a dehydrator we bought 10 years ago and seldom use. 9 tray Excaliber just sitting in original box.
Too busy fixing and creating work to use it plus not much money lately since it goes for boats,b=vans ,lawn mowers, etc,etc,etc,.
I really need to get it out. Thanks all for posts and inspiring me.

just got 2 quarts of collards off the dehydrator. i have 2 that i bought at yard sales for 5.00 i have one tray of asparagus that i bought on mark down for 79 cents. and 2 trays of okra. this one only has 3 trays. the other one i'm going to put maters on . it has 4 trays.

Carrots and onions are .99 cents a kilo at the local IGA so on Friday I might buy several kilos of each and dehydrate them.

So true but we usually can 25 lb.s of organic carrots at a time. But your correct about the onions, we just keep having other things come up so we stick to what works fro us till things slow down around here some. :Thankyou:

we got okra, tomatoes, peppers, and pineapple{1.00 each} . all except peppers are going on dehydrator. will make pepper sauce out of them. also have some taters to go on dehydrator.we have to prep allof this so but will be slow going but so worth it.

when i plant tomatoes next year i'm going to put a handful in each hole to give them extra potassium nourishment. i saw it on youtube and thought why not. this time i had an extra shelf. i hate running the dehydrator not full..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back