dehydrating

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like all I'm drying right now are the peppers and southern beans, but at least my jars are getting full for the stockroom shelves. :)_ When grandbaby was here we picked out first watermelon of the season, but that went home with her when mom came to pick her up. It's ok, hunny had bought one for 4th of July that didn't get eaten and it got brought back home. I made my watermelon jelly out of it. The next one that gets picked will get made into watermelon butter. I found a recipe and itchen to try it out.

when i plant tomatoes next year i'm going to put a handful in each hole to give them extra potassium nourishment. i saw it on youtube and thought why not. this time i had an extra shelf. i hate running the dehydrator not full..
That is a good idea to use the peels. Normally I dig a deep hole, throw in some old hay, broken egg shells and Epson salt. A couple more things won't hurt ;). I saw a video where a guy put corn cobs down his hole to act like a sponge to keep them moist.

I dehydrated two trays tomato slices for the first time!

They turned out AWESOME.
Those really horrible tasteless Kotlas tomatoes are really good dehydrated.
I used them because I would rather destroy produce that I was happy enough to
lose if they didn't turn out. The chickens would have eaten them.

I filled the rest of the trays with grated zucchini to make a full load.
I've decided I like grated dehydrated zucchini better than slices.

Next pension day I need to get another bulk bag of onions to dehydrate.

Best tool I found for processing a lot of produce without chewing electricity
is my adjustable madoline slicer.
I can adjust the thickness of the slices and it has two shred/ julienne size settings.
You really need to pay attention to what your doing or the tips of your fingers
get sliced off.
I always have to resist the urge to take that one last slice because it always ends badly.

i personally don't dry mine that way. i just hang mine to dry and then put it in mason jars. i just don't have the time to put it in dehydrator since i've got so much other stuff going in my dehydrators.

Me three. . . Bunch together and hang upside down on my pot rack hanging in the kitchen till dry, then into mason jars. It doesn't take but a couple days doing it this way. I figure it's easy enough and doesn't require electricity this way along with it frees up my dehydrator for things that really need done that way. . . Like peppers and pumpkin that are coming in like crazy right now.

Best tool I found for processing a lot of produce without chewing electricity
is my adjustable madoline slicer.
I can adjust the thickness of the slices and it has two shred/ julienne size settings.
You really need to pay attention to what your doing or the tips of your fingers
get sliced off.
I always have to resist the urge to take that one last slice because it always ends badly.

I use a chunk of oak 1" x 3" about 8" long to push whatever I'm slicing across/through the mandolin....

--Dwight

Have you ever bought a box of scalloped potato, I think Betty Crocker puts them out? I've stockpiled those and repackaged them in mylar. It's just that my dehydrated potato rounds are not looking as good as those. Wonder what they do?

I think they fly it to their secret factory on the moon and spray them with a secret recipe. Wish I, or someone I know, could figure it out because my potatoes are never that pretty.

Latest posts

Back