dehydrating

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have one dehydrator [7 trays] going with organic zuchinni marked down to 99 cents. One going with baby spinach{4 trays]. One with banana peels[3 trays]. And one with onions {8 trays]. Finally catching up with all those onions I put in the freezer earlier this year.

Naw, she took the onions she had in the freezer and put them in the dehydrator. Frozen stuff dehydrates well. Don't even have to thaw it. I bought a large bag of frozen corn and frozen mixed veg from Sams today and put them in the dehydrator. I had organized one aisle of food storage this last week and realized I was low on those items. I use a lot of dehydrated corn and mixed veg in cooking. When I was knee deep in apples, I ran a bunch through the apple peeler/slicer and froze them. They can come out of the freezer when I need to free up some room and I can throw them in the dehydrator for apple chips. I like to run my 9 tray dehydrator full, so sometimes I throw stuff chopped in the freezer until I have enough.

No, sorry . I take them out of the freezer and dehydrate them , then vacuum seal them in mason jars.
@timmie you mainly put your dehydrated items in the freezer? Is there anything you don't put in the freezer after dehydrating it? Remember, I'm new to a lot of the things some of you prepared folks do and still need pointers.

Am tired of buying organic vegetable broth that I use in a lot of recipes that our daughters eat when they eat over and in recipes that husband is eating for his diet. It's expensive. I don't have the freezer space to make my own and freeze it, so decided to take a half gallon mason jar and make it. Found a recipe for the spices used in vegetable bouillon. Am grinding dehydrated vegetables to add to it. Plan is to use a scoopful of this mix to hot water, let it sit a little, then use to replace cans of vegetable broth. I think it'll work out fine, and just for pennies, too.

Am tired of buying organic vegetable broth that I use in a lot of recipes that our daughters eat when they eat over and in recipes that husband is eating for his diet. It's expensive. I don't have the freezer space to make my own and freeze it, so decided to take a half gallon mason jar and make it. Found a recipe for the spices used in vegetable bouillon. Am grinding dehydrated vegetables to add to it. Plan is to use a scoopful of this mix to hot water, let it sit a little, then use to replace cans of vegetable broth. I think it'll work out fine, and just for pennies, too.
I would love this recipe!

I upsized this recipe for a half gallon of it.
4 Tablespoons celery salt
4 Tablespoon dried parsley
2 Tablespoon garlic powder
2 Tablespoons salt (or not)
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Then I added vegetable powder from my own dehydrated vegetables: onions, carrots, celery, peas, green beans, bell pepper, potato, spinach. I made the vegetable powder by grinding the dehydrated vegetables. Adding all this to the seasonings, I think it'll made a decent vegetable broth. I'll try it out tonight, since I'm cooking potato soup, and it calls for vegetable broth to thin out the potato and to add flavor. Plan to put a tablespoon of it into a mug of hot water and use that instead of the can of vegetable broth it calls for.

upsized this recipe for a half gallon of it.
4 Tablespoons celery salt
4 Tablespoon dried parsley
2 Tablespoon garlic powder
2 Tablespoons salt (or not)
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Then I added vegetable powder from my own dehydrated vegetables: onions, carrots, celery, peas, green beans, bell pepper, potato, spinach. I made the vegetable powder by grinding the dehydrated vegetables. Adding all this to the seasonings, I think it'll made a decent vegetable broth. I'll try it out tonight, since I'm cooking potato soup, and it calls for vegetable broth to thin out the potato and to add flavor. Plan to put a tablespoon of it into a mug of hot water and use that instead of the can of vegetable broth it calls for.
thanks I am going to try this at home and in my Culinary Arts classroom..

I'm very low on dehydrated caspicum, chilli and onions so it looks like I'll be there with you in spirit AH next pension when I'll scout around
and see if I can get a good price on 20 kg bags.
I'm kinda over throwing 10 to 20 1 kgs bags of produce into the shopping cart at the supermarket.
There's a large wholesale fruit and veg. seller in the next large town over and they offer free to the door delivery
if you spend over $100.
I'm thinking that next pension might be worth trying their business.

I looked in the ugly vegetable section today and got 3 large bags of hot peppers. Just need to get my gloves on and get them chopped up. I like 99 cent bags, but you never know what they have. For the larger stuff, like apples, zucchini, potatoes, it has to have at least 5 good sized ones in it for me to buy it. Otherwise, not worth it. I got asparagus on sale for 88 cents a lb today, but I don't dehydrate that, just eat it fresh. When I have time, been thinking about doing potato slices. Looking on YouTube, the starch has to be cooked out of it first, or it turns black. I have tons of shredded and cubed potatoes that are dehydrated in storage, but they were purchased frozen, then dehydrated. I like the thin slices that I could use for scalloped potatoes, and they sell them at the Mennonite store in bags, but thinking I might try doing it myself.

Yesterday I dragged out the dehydrator out of the store room and washed the trays and mesh tray liners.
This morning I picked 5 trays of sweet basil and one tray of lemon basil.
This lemon basil was a dif type - Mrs Burns lemon basil, and it just doesn't have as much lemony punch as the plain lemon basil so I will be swapping back to plain in the next planting round.

I make a lot of jerky out of ground meat I like to add jams to the mix peach jalapeno jams ghost pepper strawberry jam I mix it in and let it sit in a Ziploc bag in the fridge for about 4 days then run it through a jerky gun they come out really good or just before it the jerky gets done I will paint it with BBQ sauce or sriracha and let it dehydrate in.

Latest posts

Back