dehydrating

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week I did
1 tray of strawberry mint
1 tray of flat parsley
1 tray of marjoram
1 tray of peppermint
1 tray of Greek oregano

Today I started
1 tray of lemon balm ( it really took off all of a sudden)
1 tray of strawberry mint ( it is growing like crazy. I hope I get a good cutting off of it this fall)
1 tray of English thyme

You know I have never seen fresh apricots in any of the stores here. I have used the canned ones before to dry. I have to rinse them off first to get the syrup off and let them drain some before I dry them

@WVDragonlady you poor dear, those cant be the same as freshly dehydrated.:cry: I should send you a few:D
@Amish Heart how do you use your dried zucchini? I grabbed a cuke plant and it turned out to be a zucchini that someone put in the wrong place:mad: so I'm still without cukes. I always wonder why the don't sell zucchini seeds individually wrapped. You only need 1 or maybe 2 for a large family.

I'm on my last dehydrator full of apricots for now. I will have to find more. My folks gave me two huge lemons from my aunts tree since they just returned from California. I will probably dehydrate at least one of them. They are the size of grapefruit! I have never seen lemons so huge. I also need to get more kale dried for winter.

Colorful mini marshmallows. I'll bring thing to my cousin's little granddaughter. She loves to bring some to church to keep her busy during service.
You dehydrated the mini marshmallows? What does that do to them? Just make them harder rather than mushy?

I need to cook up some spaghetti squash so I think tomorrow will be spaghetti night. Once the squash is cooked and dehydrated, it cooks up quickly like pasta.

I like doing squash, too.
Mini marshmallows are crunchy candy when dehydrated. You can do big ones, too, although they're kinda weird to eat. They are used commercially all the time...hot cocoa mixes have dehydrated marshmallows in them sometimes. They rehydrate quickly when you put them in hot chocolate, so no need to buy fresh marshmallows. For Christmas gifts for families I have made my own hot cocoa mix: 1 part cocoa powder, two parts powdered milk, two parts powdered sugar. Mix well in a 1/2 gallon mason jar, Add dehydrated marshmallows to the top 3 inches of the mix. Add some candy cane stirring sticks.
Watermelon chunks are good to dehydrate, too.

Latest posts

Back