Describe your best sewing room/area!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I just wrote this about my best sewing room. It is what I miss most from that time of my life.

Close your eyes and imagine. An 11 x 14 room. On the windowless 14 foot wall are kitchen type cabinets 18 inches deep. Above all of them 12 inches deep are bookshelves to the ceiling.

Across from that is the other 14 foot wall. The entry door, and a sliding door closet. Take off the wooden doors and put up mirrored doors, build shelves within. Down on the plain part of the wall is a buffet affair with interior lighting so house plants could grow there if you wish. Below is like kitchen cabinets.
The far 11 foot wall has a double window in the center that looks out on the sloping down backyard, that is fenced and has a swing set in it for the children. And since you're on a hill, you lookout at other population. Under the double window is the sewing table with late model sewing machine. Sew and look out the window.

On the 11 ft wall near the door, is a metal cabinet with shelves. Centered in the room is a 3 ft by 6 ft office type folding table.

All is painted in a nice sunshine yellow.

That is the sewing room I left when I left Colorado. That is one of the things I miss most from that life. I'm still looking for another one like it. And I don't know if there is a photo of it around where I could find it.

That sounds really nice! I'm not much for sewing, but do have two machines. I would love more of a crafting space. I make candles, lotions, essential oil sprays and salves. Stuff in usually all over the place in a loft area. I make dry food mixes...meals and spices and it takes over my kitchen area. Would love a room to work in. Someday!

Okay, he is ours (again you will have to imagine it).

A dining room with a large table. On it is a very specific plastic table cloth with a felt bottom, 2 sewing machines with a power strip running to an outlet and a basket full of scissors, pins, thread, bobbins, etc. On the floor is 3-4 storage totes full of fabric, patterns and other sewing stuff and the cases for the sewing machines. When sewing projects begin all of this stuff is in a closet. When sewing projects end all of this stuff goes back into a closet. In between it's all over the dining room or stacked up in the hallway. On an active Saturday/Sunday this room will go from sewing room to dining room and back again around 5-6 times.

I will let you know what the ideal sewing room looks like when another kid or two moves out and my wife designs one. :D

I used to worry about millers (moths) getting in to the fabric stash so I would want cedar paneling or cedar cabinets to deter that, depending on what climate I'm living in.
Small bins, cans, etc to hold notions, maybe a peg board. Bright light. A spotlight to zero in on problem areas.
A really decent office chair.
A fan
Music

My idea sewing room would have a window in it so the natural light would help me see better( or not).
A desk that is my size(short)with drawers on both sides.
A very comfortable chair.
A kitchen Island cart topped with butcher block for a cutting table.
Kitchen island cart needs storage underneath too.
Metal cabinet(1940's jelly cabinet) with quilting books inside.
Thread organized on rack on top of metal cabinet.
Design wall with black felt with quarter round as frame.
My blocks have tendency to be brights and they would pop on the black wall.
Second metal cabinet with laptop,cd player so I could jam while I create.
Tall jelly cabinet filled with fabric,notions etc.
I am almost there, but not quite.
My design wall is red felt.No quarter round yet.
But I have the metal jelly cabinets.
No desk, sold it it was 8 inches to tall.
Very uncomfortable chair.
Have the window,need to clean off window sill though.
Slowly getting it together.
Now just have to figure out about my toys, Strawberry's kennel.

Okay, he is ours (again you will have to imagine it).

A dining room with a large table. On it is a very specific plastic table cloth with a felt bottom, 2 sewing machines with a power strip running to an outlet and a basket full of scissors, pins, thread, bobbins, etc. On the floor is 3-4 storage totes full of fabric, patterns and other sewing stuff and the cases for the sewing machines. When sewing projects begin all of this stuff is in a closet. When sewing projects end all of this stuff goes back into a closet. In between it's all over the dining room or stacked up in the hallway. On an active Saturday/Sunday this room will go from sewing room to dining room and back again around 5-6 times.

I will let you know what the ideal sewing room looks like when another kid or two moves out and my wife designs one. :D
That is my big problem...the dining table becoming the sewing or project table. I put a small table in my bedroom but then it's not quite big enough and I need a decent chair, eventually. In my perfect world I would have my own craft room too.

I jus need another bedroom. I've already turned one in to my stockroom. Another is a bedroom for the grandkids. . . My sewing room is my dining room table. . . It is what it is and I deal with it. Just hate the fact that I have a great room so that is one of the first things your eyes are drawn to when you stop by unannounced.

We have a sewing room, a jewelry making room, gun smithing room, photography room, I.T. web service room, all rolled up in one room. It does make it interesting at times. Today, Gun shop has closed, sewing shop closed, photography lab open and I.T. web service system shop are open. Jewelery shop never closes. Three guesses who runs the Jewelry shop and it aint me. :LOL:

Last edited:
A lot of my time at home is spent cooking, so I'm in the kitchen a lot. Also, prepping animal food seems to happen in the kitchen, and we have a lot of animals. So...the only way I get a different project done is to set it up on the kitchen bar. I get a little of it done at a time. Could be a craft, food preservation...whatever. This weekend I'll need to mylar and food saver a lot of dried foods. Only bummer is that it looks odd if we have unexpected people come in. Explaining mylar food preservation is different.

I have a sewing room but like TMT Tactical - too much is going on in the ONE room!!! Not only a big sewing table that my granddaughter and I built for the two of us but a big computer table and I have a desk like counter that a friend made that I intended on using for cutting out fabric but the cat's food dishes have taken over the top, their beds underneath and the cat little box under the sewing table. :( I have all of my rubber stamping and other craft supplies in this room also. Yarn for crocheting, my spinning wheel....Just TOO much!!! I have another bedroom but it is taken over by my granddaughter's giant tortoise right now. He will be going to a new home soon so when he does, the cats will be moving into that room and I will be creating storage and a working place for my rubber stamping supplies, paints, and yarn. Getting rid of the big computer table - will eventually get a laptop. I'll be glad when my sewing room is JUST for sewing again!!!!

We have a sewing room, a jewelry making room, gun smithing room, photography room, I.T. web service room, all rolled up in one room. It does make it interesting at times. Today, Gun shop has closed, sewing shop closed, photography lab open and I.T. web service system shop are open. Jewelery shop never closes. Three guesses who runs the Jewelry shop and it aint me. :LOL:

Remind me to give my wife a big hug. When we remodeled the basement she was adamant that I have a space to keep my guns / gun safes, ammo, police gear, military gear, gunsmithing bench, as well as have a man cave just for me (to escape the kids I presume). It's an L shaped room but has almost 165 sq ft of floor space. Meanwhile she was supposed to have a "craft cave" and sewing room 2-3 kids ago but the nursery just refused to go out of business. Once I figured out what was causing all of these kids I set up a medical appointment right away. We are just one high school graduation away from her finally getting a space of her own.

Latest posts

Back