Describe Your Ideal Home and Homestead, if Money Was no Option

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EMP (from the sun) is not a problem. It affects only very long lines and then moreso if they run north/South.
If you are talking about a nuclear EMP attack (HEMP) then your best bet is a log cabin with nothing electronic anywhere.
It is nearly impossible to make a room HEMP proof much less a house or garage. Any grounding rod or the ground for even your power line is an antenna for the 50000v pulse in the air and ground.The E1 pulse charges the entire troposphere and into the earth about 10 meters. It is positively charged to 50000v in less than a nanosecond and then drops as the electrons return to the air molecules they were stripped from. That process causes the E2 pulse. After that you get the E3 pulse that is the same as a solar EMP.
There is a simple and inexpensive way to protect small electronics that are not in use from the E1 pulse but a room has doors and windows as well as plumbing and electrical in the walls. It can be done but you have to forget about Faraday cages and think about co linear capacitors. You need to wrap your insulated device in a capacitor in a capacitor and in a capacitor. No wires attached, no grounds, and no holes big enough for air to penetrate. With a room you have to find a way to connect the three layers of metal (gold, silver, copper, or aluminum) and the three layers of insulation on the ceiling, walls and floor to seal when you close the door. The window will be covered and no wires can penetrate the ceiling, floor or walls. Oh and Bluetooth and WiFi won't penetrate the walls either.
I built a galvanized trash can sitting side ways into a stone wall to store inverters battery charge cobtrollers wind turbine and a pile of multimeters. I think of it as an EMP reboot kit.

I already have a 2 hp steam engine. Need to add a boiler and add a line shaft option to all of machine shop equipment.

The steam engine will let us restart at about 1850 technology instead of the stone age.

Ben

My ideal home/homestead is what I built and that's what I try to get my wife to understand, it's certainly better than having nothing, which is what a lot of people are having to deal with now days.

Latest posts

Back