Devastation from Midwest Derecho continues to grow: 'It feels like we got kicked in the teeth'

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://www.foxnews.com/us/midwest-derecho-devastation-power-outages-gas
Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig said Tuesday that about 10 million acres of Iowa’s nearly 31 million acres of agricultural land sustained damage. About 24 million acres of that is typically planted primarily with corn and soybeans

There have been a few deaths and the storms are supposed to continue tonight.

My family's farm suffered almost no damage. 15 miles southeast the fields are heavily damaged and some farms lost sheds and grain bins. Where I live, 50 air miles Southwest of the farm, most acreages had some kind of damage and the fields look like King Kong had a wrestling match with Godzilla. The Federal crop insurance will be put to the test this year...

Yah, Meerkat, I first remember hearing that word, "derecho," a few years ago when a hellacious storm ripped through the midwest from Iowa, through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, WVA, Va., etc. 2012. I thought it was more recent than that.
June 2012 North American derecho - Wikipedia
The June 2012 Mid-Atlantic and Midwest derecho was one of the deadliest and most destructive fast-moving severe thunderstorm complexes in North American history. The progressive derecho tracked across a large section of the Midwestern United States and across the central Appalachians into the mid-Atlantic states on the afternoon and evening of June 29, 2012, and into the early morning of June 30, 2012. It resulted in a total of 22 deaths, millions of power outages across the entire affected region, and a damage total of US$2.9 billion which exceeded that of all but the top 25 Atlantic tropical cyclones. The storm prompted the issuance of four separate severe thunderstorm watches by the Storm Prediction Center. A second storm in the late afternoon caused another watch to be issued across Iowa and Illinois.

Yep. We lost power for 6 days from that one in 2012. Glad we had a generator.
It moved my outdoor kitchen 3 ft. Now its tied down to rebar beat into the ground by 3ft lol
Roads were blocked by downed and twisted trees everywhere.
But being the WVians we are we all got out the chainsaws, 4x4 trucks with winches, gloves and atv's and cleared the back roads before the roads dept even got to us.
Firewood was free and to be had all over the place. You just had to load it up.

Same thing happened when we got back to back blizzards one winter. Got out and started clearing everybody out.

Same thing when there are floods. We get out and start cleaning up and helping out. We don't sit and wait for the "government".

Well aren't we blessed. We are in the area that gets a Derecho every year. I guess we dodged a bullet. We had some tree damage, but I think we were on the edge of the storm. Illinois had far more damage than Missouri, although we did have flash flood warnings yesterday.

a little bit of the rain left over from the derecho? I don't know, but parts of Maryland and Virginia saw their share of water over the past 24 hours.

1597345980368.png

1597346069279.png

Photos courtesy of WTOP David Dildine and Manassas Park Police Dept.

Latest posts

Back