Dick’s Admits to Destroying $5 Million Worth of Semi-Autos

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Don't be a Dick.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2019/10/dicks-ed-stack-destroys-ar/

October 8, 2019
Dick’s CEO Ed Stack Admits to Destroying $5 Million Worth of Semi-Autos

Doubling down even further on the company's recent trend toward corporate gun control, Dick's CEO Ed Stack says the company destroyed $5 million in guns.

By
Personal Defense World

Dicks_Sporting_Goods_Mike-Mozart_Wiki-commons.jpg

Wikipedia Commons
Comment(s)
Dick’s Sporting Goods made headlines once again yesterday, and yes, once again, it’s over gun control. Multiple national news networks reported Dick’s CEO Ed Stack said his company destroyed $5 million worth of “assault rifles” recently. The destruction of perfectly good AR-15s comes as part of Dick’s increasingly anti-gun stance toward all things black gun.

RELATED STORY

Dick’s Sporting Goods Removing Guns, Hunting Gear From 125 Stores

News of Stack’s remarkable altruism just happens coincide with the release of his new book, according to usatoday.com. Of course of it does.

Dick’s CEO Ed Stack Admits to Destroying Semi-Autos
“I said, ‘You know what? If we really think these things should be off the street, then we need to destroy them,'” Stack told CBS News, reported usatoday.com. In his new book, “It’s How We Play the Game: Build a Business. Take a Stand. Make a Difference,” the CEO doubled down on gun control activism. In it, he tells how the company, rather than return product to manufacturers, instead “sawed $5 million worth of rifles into scrap,” reported usatoday.com.

For Dick’s, sawing semi-autos in half represents the latest in a cascading decent into corporate gun control. Following the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, the store first pulled ARs from stores.

“All we were going to do was just take it off the shelf and not say anything,” Stack said, according to usatoday.com. “We thought we’d get a little bit of a backlash, but we didn’t expect to get what we got.”

Then following Parkland, Dick’s pulled standard- and high-capacity magazines (all referred to as high-cap by Dick’s) from stores. The store also made it requirement customers be at least 21 years old to buy a firearm.

“We found out we sold this kid a shotgun and I said, ‘We’re done,” Stack told CBS, according to usatoday.com. “Even though that’s not the gun he used, it could have been.”

The moral to this story is simple: Don’t be Dick’s, and support the fine companies that represent 2A culture.

That's another case of stupid business decisions.
They could have gotten back the money they had invested in those rifles by returning them to the wholesaler. That would at least be a common sense decision. Instead they chose to take the $5 million dollar loss - that is not even deductible. So the have all that record keeping to establish that the guns were in fact destroyed (ATF needs proof) and they take a loss on the investment and can't even use it as a business expense because they chose to destroy them. On top of that they have to pay the sales tax because they had to own them before they could remove them from the books.
The company is not making good business decisions and deserves to go broke.

Meanwhile they lost $250,000,000 last year in sales (which they initially lied about, I mean reported as, $150,000,000). I hope they go bankrupt soon so I can point and laugh at them. Plus then they can be a lesson to others.

Back