Did anyone else see a Social Security payment DECREASE on Jan 1, 2021?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm trying to figure out why my mom's SS payment DECREASED at the start of 2021. From what I've read, there was supposed to be a 1.3% INCREASE. Historically, she has seen a small increase every year. Her monthly payment - at least the one that was deposited today (1/1/2021) - dropped by $67 from the previous (Dec 2020) payment. She's not in any kind of special situation - like having wages garnished, dealing with an overpayment or anything like that. Just an elderly widow who has not worked since the 1950's and has been drawing basic SS survivor benefits since she became eligible for that (my dad died 30+ years ago).

She did not have an online SS account, so I set one up for her today (I am her PoA). Online I can see how they calculated the payment. Which is simple - they list the benefit amount, subtract the listed Medicare deduction, and the result is the payment we received. That's all well and good, but I cannot go back to last month (or any month previous) and view the details of how those payments were calculated. I need to look back historically so I can compare the calculation for this month against last months calculation. Did her gross benefit amount go down? Did her deductions go up? She has not been getting SS statements in the mail or in email. I don't know if she should have been or not. When I set up her online account today I made sure to put my email, cell, and address down as her contact information (since she's in a memory care facility). So in the FUTURE I should get all this stuff, but I apparently can't access her PAST information.

I suppose I will call the SS people on Monday. I expect they won't give me the time of day. They will want to speak with her, which will be a real treat since she doesn't have a phone (wouldn't know how to use it now anyway), no email, no cellphone, no computer - I do all her finances and have her Power of Attorney to allow me to do that. Even if they managed to get her on the phone, all's she does is repeat what is said to her, if even that. She cannot answer questions anymore. Somehow I think the SS folks won't give a crap about my PoA, or will impose a government verification process on me that will take 27 years to resolve before they'll even talk with me.

So that's why I'm asking if anyone else has experienced an SS payment decrease, and if they know the reason. If this is a common thing, I can just assume my mom's situation is similar and let things go and just silently accept the lower payment.

Was there an increase in Medicare costs recently? My dad says they will deduct the extra costs from the payment.

Did she elect to have her income tax payments deducted from her SS payments? Also he mentioned that since it is the beginning of the year any income tax payments taken from the SS would be more than at the end of the year.

Sorry I can't offer any other possibilities. My dad doesn't get his until the middle of the month.

My mothers SS payment went down the year after she sold her house. Prior to selling the house, she had no income, so she did not have to pay Part B of her Medicare insurance. After she sold her house, she had a significant capital gain that she had to declare on her income tax form. The gain put her over the limit for "free" Part B, so for one year the Part B deduction was taken out of her monthly SS check.

Last edited:
My mom has no income (other than from her investments), no sales, no capital gains. Her investments are bringing in about the same money this year as they have in years past - no big jump, just normal fluctuation. Unless they count payments from Long Term Care Insurance as income or something else that cancels out part of Social Security. Since moving to the memory care facility she has received partial-year Long Term Care payments of about $25K that she didn't have last year. Those have not been reported on taxes yet - they will show up for filing year 2020. Are these somehow automatically reported to the government before tax time and the government is now dropping mom's Social Security because of these insurance payouts?

I did move about $275K of mom's money from some investments to cash about a month ago. I won't know until I do her 2020 taxes if that is going to result in gains or losses, that will depend on the basis when funding was done. That money was in a managed brokerage account that I was unhappy with the results from, that was initially set up maybe 15 years ago (not a 401K or other retirement-specific account). But without tax filings that indicate gain or loss (not due until April 15, 2021) I don't think that SS would be adjusting her monthly payments based on that yet.

I really do not know how or if the IRS/Medicare/Social Security/investments are interconnected.

How much was the decrease in your mother's monthly SS check? If the decrease was somewhere between $130 to $140 per month, I would say that she wasn't paying for Part B and now Part B is being deducted from her monthly SS check.

In 2017 I was receiving $1700 . I have since received 3 raises, $100, $100, $65 and I now receive $1565. I'm no math wizzard but that don't (Not doesn't) compute. And of course SSI Administration can't supply an answer. An outside source told me it was obamacare but that can't be verified either. My awards letter for 2021 actually says I receive $1978.00.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back