Did I rob someone? Or just get lucky again?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Picked up 6) 55 gallon barrels yesterday. My daughter saw a guy I know the other day and he mentioned he had a bunch of barrels that needed a new home. So we picked them up I noticed they were kinda heavy for empty barrels when we loaded them. Turns out there's 5 metal oil barrels and one windshield washer concentrate plastic barrel, mixes 1 to 7 with water. They all have 3 or more gallons of what came in them still in the bottoms. One is a barrel of 15w40 and it must have 5 gallons in it the other 4 are 5w30 and have about 3-4 gallons each. I'm working on straining the washer concentrate now. I dumped it in a 5 gallon bucket and left it sit all day with no top so it got full of junk. I will not make that mistake with the oil. Now I just have to figure out somewhere to store it all. Did I mention it's synthetic oil?

Yep I feel like I won the lotto! lol

Haha, ya takes what you can get on the cheap side, lol... sounds like a score to me! ;)

P.S. I'm beginning to think you lead a charmed life, lol... :cool:

My best friend claims and has claimed for the last 30 odd years that I have a golden horse shoe inserted somewhere I won't spell out here! I do tend to get lucky frequently. Some people say it's payback for all the little things I've done randomly throughout life. IDK

@Weedygarden There's no telling I need a couple burn barrels and I've thought about caching some fuel they come in handy for all sorts of things. He told me to come get another load maybe two ASAP. He runs a oil change place and doesn't want to pay to get rid of them. All I can carry at a time is 6. It's only a few miles or if I'm already in town a few blocks.

Who did you rob? The real beauty of free enterprise; a purely voluntary transaction. He wanted to get rid of them. I don't know the cost of bulk oil disposal, but I doubt it is free. You saved him the disposal cost, and he is rid of the barrels he did not want. You both win.

Glad it worked out in your favor.

When I lived in Coronado, which is high-dollar real estate (we were military, not rich), I'd see perfectly good stuff sitting on the curb with the trash... I wasn't too proud to pull over and throw some item in the bed of the ol' pickup truck. Same way I wasn't too proud to scrounge lumber scraps & firewood from construction sites. As long as one asked first, no big deal, and I knew many of those construction workers anyway... they were only too glad to free up room on site or in the dumpster. I always wore heavy boots & gloves too, so they didn't have to worry about my safety. Countless times, I scientifically loaded the bed of the pickup or the trunk of the Olds with clean lumber scraps... in those days, only a fool paid for firewood when a vast supply existed right there in town for free. Some of the lumber scraps were large enough to build stuff too... I built a number of wooden boat cradles for trailers and storage, using lumber scraps hauled out of a construction dumpster. :cool:

Several years ago I bought an empty 55 gallon oil drum from a mechanic shop that also specialized in oil changes. The barrel had about 3 gallons of synthetic oil. I was told they have the machine that pumps out the oil and when it stops pumping they swap the barrels and they don't waste their time trying to remove the last few gallons. He said occasionally the employees will collect some to do their own oil changes but with a shop of 6 guys they go through more barrels than personal oil changes.
I used the barrel for an extra diesel fuel tank in the back of my truck so I left the oil inside and topped it off with diesel when I finished the plumbing connections.

When I got my new job, I used 55 gallon oil drum, we laid them down in a bed, so we could remove ALL the oil. Looks like those drums where pumped, while standing up & lazy did not want to tilt them to get the last drop. Why should they, it cost them nothing to waste 20 gallons of oil at $6.00 a gallon.
But SCORE FOR YOU!!!

Latest posts

Back