Disaster First Aid Kit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCootHillbilly

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So this give ya a good point ta start from. Add more ta it as ya feel the need an get the skills. Also, ya need ta research thins what don't make sense ta ya.

Disaster First Aid Kit List
Hydrogen Peroxide
Isopropyl Alcohol
Tea Tree Oil, good for bug bites amongst other things
Calamine Lotion
Hydro Cortizone Cream
Anti Fungal Cream
Butt Paste- good for rash an such
4×4 Pads (sterile an non sterile)
2×2 Pads (sterile an non sterile)
Instant Cold Pack
CPR Mask (learn CPR please!)
Thermometer
Moleskin – for blisters
Barrier Gloves – Nitrile ones are best because some are allergic to latex
Clove Oil – Good for tooth ache and such
Asperin
Tylenol
Ibuprofin
Pepto Bismal Tablets
Ground Ginger – For an acid stomach
Castor Oil – old fashioned laxative
Anti-Diarrheal
6 inch Elastic Bandage
3 inch Elastic Bandage
2 inch Elastic Bandage
Non Adherant Pads – to cover wounds
Steri Strips – to help close cuts
Providone Iodine Pads – to cleanse around a wound
Band Aides – Assorted sizes, get the fabric ones
Telfa Pads
Benadryl
First Aid Tape
Sanitary Pads (you know, like the ladies use) These are good for larger wounds
Mucus Relief – Mucinex
Triple Anti-Biotic Cream
Fresh Green Walnut Worm Wood Oil (if you get a worm type parasite)
Saline Solution – Flushing out wounds
Scissors – EMT Type
Small Flashlight
Vet Wrap – this is as good as the stuff for humans and LOTS cheaper
Iodine Tincture
Mercuro Clear – Wound treatment
Q Tips Make Up Pads – For cleaning around wounds
Hand Sanitizer
Cayanne Powder – Works as a blood clotter on cuts
Suture Kit – Don’t go sewing yourself up less you really have to!
A staple kit may be easier to use.
Alcohol Pads
Popsicle Sticks – Use for finger splints
Large Paint Stir Sticks (5 gallon size) make good splints
First Aid Guide
Wet Wipes
Tweezers
Dental Floss
Black Drawing Salve – This will draw out splinters and such
Diabetic Lancets – good for digging out splinters and such
Vizine eye wash, or a store brand
Petroleum Jelly
Sting Eze - The one with Ammonia works the best
Blood pressure kit
Stethoscope
Be lots a other thins yall can add to this as needed. We added a stainless steel ear wash rig and pan cose mommas ears get plugged up now an again.
Also, them Israeli bandages in different sizes be real handy to.
Medical gear such as crutches, walkers, canes, braces an so forth can be bought at sales an such perty cheap an be worth lots when needed.

I would add -
- magnifying glass for seeing wounds and things in them.
- disposable scalpels.
- If you add zinc oxide powder to the already included clove oil you can mix them up to create a temporary teeth filling kit.
- Metal teeth cleaning kit (available cheap online from places like China etc).
- eye washing and medicine cup.
- sharps container (should you be diabetic or someone in your family is) and for putting in lancets etc.
- field wound dressing kits (they come in a sterile pack and are really cheap)

I would also advise looking into essential oils and what they do as part of your backup med kit too.

This is a great thread ... one that we can use for adding to ones skills ... like a tourniquet or the use of cloves oil ... (LIKELY SAFE for most people)
How many people know how to apply a tourniquet or use cloves oil ... Just a thought ...

See, got yall thinnin bout stuff! Like I said, it were a basic startin point. Yall add ta it, I have. Skills advance ya add more ta it. Sometimes folk learn more when they gotta do some a it on their own rather then havin somebody do it fer ya. We be upta two bags what can be grabbed an go. Then there be the totes full a extra stuff. Yup, I know how ta use a tourniquet an such, but no everbody do.

There be 3 books I highly recommend. All 3 can be downloaded fer free with a bit a searching. 1 be "Where there is no doctor", 2 be "Where there is no dentist", an 3 be "The ships doctor". All of em got some really good info.

Also, don't ferget ta study up on an add in a dental kit. Otherwise ya might be usin a ice skate ta take out that bad tooth!

Here be two more thins ta add ta that kit. Benzoin what be used ta make band aids an steri strips an such stick much better an as a skin protector. Activated Charcoal tabs, good fer the stomach. I buy Benzoin in a larger bottle then put inta smaller vials, label an apply with Q tips. In a harsh environment that Benzoin gonna hep keep them bandages on an a wound cleaner.

Also, add in a few tubes a crazy glue. Ya can fix some smaller cuts with it.

Don't ferget, sometimes ya don't have much ta work with, sugar can be used on a wound ta hep keep it from gettin infected.

Don't have steri strips? Ya can make em outa duct tape.

Nice list! I got a nice surgical kit and dental kit from an online vet store really cheap. Those tools can always be disinfected and used again.
I would just add a couple of things:

*a pulse ox meter - pretty cheap on ebay or amazon - about $20 or so.
*fish antibiotics - just in case those fishies ever get sick! Know the correct dosages and med to treat certain conditions. Have a PDR or drug handbook stored along with the meds you stock.
*durabond - or you can get the vet version for a fraction of the cost at online vet stores (crazy glue will work in a jam)
*a few boxes of large (fits most) latex gloves and also gloves that fit you (if not large)
*masks
*surgical gowns
*surgical booties
*clear alcohol - for disinfecting and sedation - or just plain ole' happy juice if all stays right with the world
ETA *adult diapers, cloth diapers, and incontinence pads (both washable & disposable)

Some people won't stock things that they don't know how to use. I say if you can get it at a great price, go ahead and stock it. Just b/c you many not know how to use it, doesn't mean that someone else along the line won't know. Plus, medical supplies will be excellent barter supplies if things ever really get that bad.
Great tip on the medical gear. I got an almost brand new pair of crutches as a yard sale for about a buck. I brought them home, sanitized them, and they are good to go. I also pick up air splints and such in the store when they go on clearance.

BTW, I had no idea cayanne powder is used to clot. Good to know. Does it burn?

Last edited:
Nice list Coot, I'd add turpentine to that list.. My Aunt lived to be 100 and she put that on deep wounds.
One visit there my 5 yr old daughter got her foot cut wide open in bike spokes, you could see the bone of her heel. Auntie went grabbed that stuff and poured it right into the deep sliced open wound. I thought oh my gosh what has she put on her. It healed up fast. I did take her for stitches but it never got infected or needed care. No scar.

I have a trauma bag in addition to my medical kit- it has halo chest dressings, extra large trauma dressings, burn dressings, xerofoam dressings (Vaseline-impregnated gauze), several tourniquets, burn gel, and minor surgery tools (scalpel handles and blades, forceps, hemostats, scissors, etc), suture and staples (along with suture removal kits and staple remover kits), saline for irrigation with extra syringes, tape, Montgomery straps (a kind of large tape apparatus with straps to hold very large dressings in place), several small sterile disposable drapes, and a roll of saran wrap. Saran is good for covering internal organs (first covering them with saline dressings) to protect them until additional medical help is available. Also works well for chest dressings if you don't have a halo. I keep a small bottle of alcohol gel hand sanitizer, nitrile clean gloves, several pair of sterile gloves, and a few procedure masks in the kit, too.

Another thing to have on hand is an aloe vera plant. Not only is it a good topical treatment for burns and minor skin irritations, but it also works as a treatment for heartburn/GERD (just chew on a piece!) and as a laxative.

., sugar can be used on a wound ta hep keep it from gettin infected...

In the "old days", we used to mix sugar with betadine (povidine iodine) to make a thick paste and packed pressure ulcers with it. It was called surgardine, and surprisingly, it worked to heal some nasty ulcers! Then, "modern" medicine came along and said that was too much of an old wives treatment and we needed to use fancy (and expensive) silver and calcium alginate dressings (among other things!). But, surprise, surprise, now we are going back to using sweet dressings- medihoney is an approved wound treatment.
upload_2017-12-9_16-16-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-9_16-14-56.png
    upload_2017-12-9_16-14-56.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 14
I keep slippery elm bark, marshmallow root, mullein, plantain and chamomile. Mix them together with hot water for a poultice for insect stings or bites, rashes or slight wounds and it works really well.

I also keep an aloe vera plant.

Aloe Vera is fantastic to have around. Best thing for major burns I know of.

So this give ya a good point ta start from. Add more ta it as ya feel the need an get the skills. Also, ya need ta research thins what don't make sense ta ya.

Disaster First Aid Kit List
Hydrogen Peroxide
Isopropyl Alcohol
Tea Tree Oil, good for bug bites amongst other things
Calamine Lotion
Hydro Cortizone Cream
Anti Fungal Cream
Butt Paste- good for rash an such
4×4 Pads (sterile an non sterile)
2×2 Pads (sterile an non sterile)
Instant Cold Pack
CPR Mask (learn CPR please!)
Thermometer
Moleskin – for blisters
Barrier Gloves – Nitrile ones are best because some are allergic to latex
Clove Oil – Good for tooth ache and such
Asperin
Tylenol
Ibuprofin
Pepto Bismal Tablets
Ground Ginger – For an acid stomach
Castor Oil – old fashioned laxative
Anti-Diarrheal
6 inch Elastic Bandage
3 inch Elastic Bandage
2 inch Elastic Bandage
Non Adherant Pads – to cover wounds
Steri Strips – to help close cuts
Providone Iodine Pads – to cleanse around a wound
Band Aides – Assorted sizes, get the fabric ones
Telfa Pads
Benadryl
First Aid Tape
Sanitary Pads (you know, like the ladies use) These are good for larger wounds
Mucus Relief – Mucinex
Triple Anti-Biotic Cream
Fresh Green Walnut Worm Wood Oil (if you get a worm type parasite)
Saline Solution – Flushing out wounds
Scissors – EMT Type
Small Flashlight
Vet Wrap – this is as good as the stuff for humans and LOTS cheaper
Iodine Tincture
Mercuro Clear – Wound treatment
Q Tips Make Up Pads – For cleaning around wounds
Hand Sanitizer
Cayanne Powder – Works as a blood clotter on cuts
Suture Kit – Don’t go sewing yourself up less you really have to!
A staple kit may be easier to use.
Alcohol Pads
Popsicle Sticks – Use for finger splints
Large Paint Stir Sticks (5 gallon size) make good splints
First Aid Guide
Wet Wipes
Tweezers
Dental Floss
Black Drawing Salve – This will draw out splinters and such
Diabetic Lancets – good for digging out splinters and such
Vizine eye wash, or a store brand
Petroleum Jelly
Sting Eze - The one with Ammonia works the best
Blood pressure kit
Stethoscope
Be lots a other thins yall can add to this as needed. We added a stainless steel ear wash rig and pan cose mommas ears get plugged up now an again.
Also, them Israeli bandages in different sizes be real handy to.
Medical gear such as crutches, walkers, canes, braces an so forth can be bought at sales an such perty cheap an be worth lots when needed.
Hey OldCoot. Great list, what size of bag or container would recommend for That?

I really want to learn more about using medicinal plants. I would love to see a thread where folks could share information with those of us who are borderline ignorant!

And not just what the plant is but how to prepare and use it. I had a book that told you what plants to use for different issues but not what you were supposed to do with the darn things!

In the "old days", we used to mix sugar with betadine (povidine iodine) to make a thick paste and packed pressure ulcers with it. It was called surgardine, and surprisingly, it worked to heal some nasty ulcers! Then, "modern" medicine came along and said that was too much of an old wives treatment and we needed to use fancy (and expensive) silver and calcium alginate dressings (among other things!). But, surprise, surprise, now we are going back to using sweet dressings- medihoney is an approved wound treatment.
View attachment 543
Yup, many places around the world don't have all the fancy stuff an get by just fine with simpler thins.
Hey OldCoot. Great list, what size of bag or container would recommend for That?
We use 2 M17 med bags. They hold most all the primary gear.
m17emblem_alt.jpg

m17_open.jpg

Just don't remove the packaging for sterile items!!! :eyeballs:

I have a question for you Doc? I keep seeing/hearing people talk about using pads for covering wounds. Wouldn't the absorbent material make the bleeding or blood loss worse? Absorbing instead of stopping?

I have a question for you Doc? I keep seeing/hearing people talk about using pads for covering wounds. Wouldn't the absorbent material make the bleeding or blood loss worse? Absorbing instead of stopping?
They ain't made fer the first application. They can be used on top a other bandages an elastic bandage over em that away makin a pressure bandage.

Hi, Terri,
The pad helps keep the blood all in one place and helps it coagulate. It needs to be applied with pressure in order to be truly effective. I would place a sterile gauze against the wound first and top it off with the pad, just to protect the wound from any contamination in the pad (although if it a choice between infection and exsanguination, infections can be treated!)

Years ago, during my military days, we were out in the field and I had a guy fall and hit his head against a big rock. Head wounds are notorious for excess bleeding, so I used a maxipad over a gauze on his head. When we got in from the field, he got all kinds of grief from the guys, razzing him for his pad- but it worked, and kept him from having blood and guts everywhere!

So here's something to discuss: We use Celox coated dressings in our trauma kits. The Celox helps speed up clotting. But we are always trained that after applying Celox powder or Celox coated dressings to get the patient to the ER as soon as possible. Which is great when you have an ER and a Trauma Doc. But what if the SHTF and they are not available? Is it normal wound care and do you risk cleaning off the Celox?

We stopped using Quick Clot some years ago because our paramedic trained officers advised it (IIRC) was not an organic product, where Celox is and can absorb into the body and breakdown into cellulose.

For Medicinal Plants, Yarrow makes a good Blood Stopper, just Pound or Chew the Leaves to a Pulp and apply to the Wound. Common Marigold Flowers mixed with Plantain will keep a Wound from being Infected, and help Healing, a crushed Cabbage Leaf will do the same to Prevent Infection and speed Healing. For Pain relief White Willow Bark Tea is good, and for Cold and Flue relief Elder Berry Syrup can't be beat. For Intestinal Distress Black Berries, or Black berry Leaf Tea is excellent.

Latest posts

Back