Disaster First Aid Kit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that’s funny! I wouldn’t reach for cayenne either except for my eggs at breakfast. But yarrow is another story… Since ancient times warriors have used it to stop bleeding. The Greeks and the Chinese wrote about it. For just as long, young women have used yarrow to help them get pregnant. I have seen yarrow do both things. It’s a complicated plant.

Potatoes have been used in medicine for a long time. I bet the Inca’s figured out a few uses. As a young man I was a welder, used to get flash burns to my eyes. All that was needed was slices of potato over my eyes for about an hour. It would pull out the “burn” for lack of a medical term. My eyes would be fine afterwards. I know of 3 plants that will “pull” or “draw out” fever or venom and heal at the same time. The potato is one of them. :)

Yep. That’s because yarro is another complex starch which means a lot of an ionic charges to trigger the clotting cascade. It works too.

I just thought of something to add. I have a manual sphygmomanometer with stethescope to check blood pressure, but not everyone knows how to check BP manually. Also, I would be out of luck if I needed to check my own BP or if perhaps the noise level made it impossible to use in a particular situation. So, I added an electronic wrist cuff to my first aid kit. Using this would also allow me to make other assessments while letting the gadget check someones BP and pulse, perhaps saving valuable time. I got it for under $20 on Amazon and it's small enough to fit in a first aid kit/bag without taking up valuable space. I have tested it and it is accurate. Now I have both tools to use if the need arises. If nothing else, it is kinda handy to just check my own BP and pulse every now and again so I know where my baseline is.

I have several, about 6 at last count, field first aid kits, I picked up a works type first aid kit last week at an open air sale- cost me all of £3!! I also have a couple of large cans full of band aids, I also have several sets of tweezers and scalpels.

You may want to include a trauma kit and some non-surgical way to keep an airway open in your first aid kits.
Band-aides are typically for children to make them feel better. I prefer dressing gauze and vet tape even for small punctures or scrapes and burns over band-aides.
I also keep the most versatile medical device ever conceived in my first aid kits. It is called a triangular bandage and its uses are nearly unlimited. It is a heavy cotton square cloth about three feet on each side.
They can be used for foot supports, slings, to cover head or neck wounds, to make splints or a tourniquet. I alway advise people to get an old scout medical book to familiarize themselves with all the uses of these magical devices.

Latest posts

Back