Disease and nonbattle injury (DNBI)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Disease and nonbattle injuries (DNBI) are the leading causes of morbidity during wars and military operations. DNBI

I had a little accident yesterday while out on a hike to check on a remote cabin. I sustained a little injury that would have certainly taken me out of the fight for a few hours, and if not treated effectively, the gaping deep cut I sustained could kill with a bad infection.

I debated on whether to post this thread in the prepping section, because this is about how to keep yourself from getting sick and surviving injuries so you can stay in the fight. When I turned 60 last year, I decided that I finally reached middle age and I needed to start being more careful and stop taking kids risks such as jumping off of the sides of buildings and stuff. Yesterday was another little wake up call. But I’m survival, SHTF, risks will be everywhere.

While a lot of preppers enjoy talking about defending against armed mobs and stuff, history shows that it will be disease and non battle injuries that will do you in.

How do you plan on mitigation of risk during SHTF?

What supplements or natural plants will you use during SHTF to prevent disease or to heal ailments?

What medical kits do you have in the home?

What do you pack?

We had a great little first aid kit in a waterproof case in the side by side which came in handy yesterday. Unfortunately, the side by side was a few miles hike away from where I got myself injured acting young. The wife did a little impromptu pressure dressing with her wool gloves and string that had to do until we got to the side by side. I know, I need to realize I am no longer a teenager. It’s stuff like this that will do most folks in who don’t initially starve to death in SHTF.

Last edited:
Disease and nonbattle injuries (DNBI) are the leading causes of morbidity during wars and military operations. DNBI

I had a little accident yesterday while out on a hike to check on a remote cabin. I sustained a little injury that would have certainly taken me out of the fight for a few hours, and if not treated effectively, the gaping deep cut I sustained could kill with a bad infection.

I debated on whether to post this thread in the prepping section, because this is about how to keep yourself from getting sick and surviving injuries so you can stay in the fight. When I turned 60 last year, I decided that I finally reached middle age and I needed to start being more careful and stop taking kids risks such as jumping off of the sides of buildings and stuff. Yesterday was another little wake up call. But I’m survival, SHTF, risks will be everywhere.

While a lot of preppers enjoy talking about defending against armed mobs and stuff, history shows that it will be disease and non battle injuries that will do you in.

How do you plan on mitigation of risk during SHTF?

What supplements or natural plants will you use during SHTF to prevent disease or to heal ailments?

What medical kits do you have in the home?

What do you pack?

We had a great little first aid kit in a waterproof case in the side by side which came in handy yesterday. Unfortunately, the side by side was a few miles hike away from where I got myself injured acting young. The wife did a little impromptu pressure dressing with her wool gloves and string that had to do until we got to the side by side. I know, I need to realize I am no longer a teenager. It’s stuff like this that will do most folks in who don’t initially starve to death in SHTF.
I'm in complete agreement with you. The mundane things are what's likely to do you in. What would we do if we got a badly infected tooth, for example? A torn hamstring or a severe high ankle sprain? I've had all those, and in the regular world, it's not that big of a deal. If you're scrambling for food every day, that blown out ankle will keep you from even being able to gather firewood to cook the food for a few days.

Good subject. Definitely worth some thought...

And don't leave out hypothermia, I know that we all have our weak point and little things can take us down fast. With me it's my ears, if I get my ears wet and cold I am going to get sick.... If you can't run to the the pharmacy or easily obtain medicines everything changes.

The other thing that people forget is medical training, many have first aid kits and no training....

It's funny you posted this today, I was looking at surgical and suture kits this morning.
Remember, lot of medicines and stuff in first aid kits have a limited shelf life, refill kits are available but you need to plan for maintaining you kit.

I keep a trauma kit in my vehicle, it is essentially the same kit I kept handy when I was responding to ambulance calls. At home I have a medical cabinet full of medicines, supplements, and more trauma and other supplies.

Vitamin D3 is probably the most important supplement that I take to keep me healthy but there are several.

When I turned 60 last year, I decided that I finally reached middle age and I needed to start being more careful and stop taking kids risks such as jumping off of the sides of buildings and stuff.
I really hate to say this but 60 isn't middle-aged. You reached middle aged around 20 years ago. Not much chance of living to 120. :p
I slowly came to the realization that I am old. I can't do things I used to do and everything takes longer to get done.
My Dad had a bumper sticker that said "The older I get, the older old gets."
That was correct but time catches up with all of us.
The-leading-cause-of-injury....jpg

I really hate to say this but 60 isn't middle-aged. You reached middle aged around 20 years ago. Not much chance of living to 120. :p
I slowly came to the realization that I am old. I can't do things I used to do and everything takes longer to get done.
My Dad had a bumper sticker that said "The older I get, the older old gets."
That was correct but time catches up with all of us.
The-leading-cause-of-injury....jpg

I still act like I am that 21 year old paratrooper who thought he was invincible. Life is teaching me otherwise.

And 60 isn’t old! 😊

60 is old. I'll be there next year.
We keep peroxide and B&W ointment and neosporin to put on cuts. The first thing I do is to flush a wound as best I can. I'm a first aid fanatic after owning a school for 60 students. There was always something.
We keep a decent stock of antibiotic at home. Husband takes 2 types on a daily basis for his lung disease maintenance.

Age is just a number, for some of us a really big number.
60 is not old if you're over 60. If you're 40 or 50 it's getting old.
I can't remember exactly when I realized I'm old but it snuck up on me and one day BAMB I was old.
I blame it on my wife. She turned 70 and suddenly I was married to an old lady so I must be old because we've been married for over 50 years. She did not see the humor in that comment. :p

The point of this thread is about staying in the fight. While I am learning that I need to be more careful and take measures to avoid injury, I still need to stay in shape to work this old homestead and to be as fit as possible for when the time comes where we will need to be fit, I need to run to keep my weight at my paratrooper weight, regardless of how hard I work on my property. Fitness is essential.

I'm in complete agreement with you. The mundane things are what's likely to do you in. What would we do if we got a badly infected tooth, for example? A torn hamstring or a severe high ankle sprain? I've had all those, and in the regular world, it's not that big of a deal. If you're scrambling for food every day, that blown out ankle will keep you from even being able to gather firewood to cook the food for a few days.

Good subject. Definitely worth some thought...
Infected tooth?

I only have two of my teeth left. One is in the safe because it was mostly gold. The other is just a macabe artifact that I saved just for fun. Getting rid of all of my teeth has been a goal for about 5 years now. Not only are all of those potential dangers gone, I have dentures that I am getting used to wearing.

Without dental care the options are drinking enough to pass out and let a trusted friend with pliers pull the bad tooth or face death sentence.

Sprained ankle

Between The Princess and her Kung Fu injuries and me being stupid, we have ankle stirups, wrist braces, knee imobilizers.... to help with inhuries to our extremities.

The Princess keeps a good supply of the things mentioned in this thread.

If SHTF and i cant get BP meds, I have to accept the fact I may go down with a stroke or heart attack. Neither of which can be handled without medical personel AND the gear they need to treat it. If it is my time, it is my time.

Ben

The point of this thread is about staying in the fight. While I am learning that I need to be more careful and take measures to avoid injury, I still need to stay in shape to work this old homestead and to be as fit as possible for when the time comes where we will need to be fit, I need to run to keep my weight at my paratrooper weight, regardless of how hard I work on my property. Fitness is essential.
Digging dirt is a whole body work out. A viable option to running in my minds eye.

Ben

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, but one thing I always keep in my IFAK is Super Glue, for exactly that reason. You can close a deep cut a little easier. Neosporin inside, and super glue outside to keep it closed. My plan (or maybe hope is a better word) is that will buy me the time to get to professional medical attention.

Latest posts

Back