Disgusting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I’ve spent the afternoon watching a cow slowly dying. I just checked her again, not long now. Disgust barely begins to describe what I feel right because it was not necessary! She is dying because of out right neglect.

Most of you have heard my rants over the last 2 years about my great nephew who we turned the cattle operation over to. No point in rehashing all the things that led to this but he’s been a total failure as a cattleman.

I first noticed this cow last Monday. I told dad then she’d be dead before thanksgiving if things didn’t change. Frankly I got distracted by another young cow with a calf that was in worse shape than this black cow.

This black cow has a calf that should weigh 200-225lbs. I doubt the calf weighs 140lbs.

Anyway, I noticed the cow was down about noon, called the nephew. He doesn’t take calls from either dad or I anymore, just have to leave a message.

A cow that goes down like this almost never lives. But I did what I could to save her anyway. She was laying on the upper side of a terrace in the depression with her feet pointed up the hill. A weak/sick cow can’t get up from that position. She hasn’t got the strength to roll her body up the hill to get her feet underneath her. Also, in this position their breathing is restricted. Sometimes their lungs begin to slowly fill with fluid.

I took the tractor over, using a rope I pulled her out of the depression onto the peak of the terrace. I then rolled her over so her feet were now pointing downhill.

It was the best I could do. At that point it’s up to the cow and her will to live. I was hoping being better able to breath would allow her to regain a little strength.

That boy show up about 5pm. He took her a 5gal bucket of water and dumped some feed on the ground then left saying he be back later to check on her and if necessary put her down. What was he thinking? The cow can’t lift her head to drink out of a bucket, stupid.

I went back over just before dark. I kept hearing a calf bawl. It was hers. It took me a half hour to “herd” him to his momma. I had to be careful with him, he’s already spooked, upset. I didn’t try to drive him, just walk him. I just kept moving to locations where he’d see me then calmly decide which way he wanted to go, which of course was towards his momma who couldn’t answer his bawls. Anyway, they are together now. I moved him for his protection. Right now the herd stays on the other side of the farm. If a coyote came by that calf would be dead in minutes. A coyote will hesitate if a cow were present.

The first pic last monday, she’s about 350lbs under weight.

The rest of the pics, how I found her, next dad untying her so we could roll her over. The last is the calf I was moving after dark, can barely make out the black calf. (I had to artificially increase the photo brightness so it looks washed out)

Black cow 01 7 a .JPG
Black cow 02 1 a .JPG
Black cow 02 7 a .JPG
Black cow 03 1 a .JPG
Black cow 03 3 a .JPG

I’ve spent the afternoon watching a cow slowly dying. I just checked her again, not long now. Disgust barely begins to describe what I feel right because it was not necessary! She is dying because of out right neglect.

Most of you have heard my rants over the last 2 years about my great nephew who we turned the cattle operation over to. No point in rehashing all the things that led to this but he’s been a total failure as a cattleman.

I first noticed this cow last Monday. I told dad then she’d be dead before thanksgiving if things didn’t change. Frankly I got distracted by another young cow with a calf that was in worse shape than this black cow.

This black cow has a calf that should weigh 200-225lbs. I doubt the calf weighs 140lbs.

Anyway, I noticed the cow was down about noon, called the nephew. He doesn’t take calls from either dad or I anymore, just have to leave a message.

A cow that goes down like this almost never lives. But I did what I could to save her anyway. She was laying on the upper side of a terrace in the depression with her feet pointed up the hill. A weak/sick cow can’t get up from that position. She hasn’t got the strength to roll her body up the hill to get her feet underneath her. Also, in this position their breathing is restricted. Sometimes their lungs begin to slowly fill with fluid.

I took the tractor over, using a rope I pulled her out of the depression onto the peak of the terrace. I then rolled her over so her feet were now pointing downhill.

It was the best I could do. At that point it’s up to the cow and her will to live. I was hoping being better able to breath would allow her to regain a little strength.

That boy show up about 5pm. He took her a 5gal bucket of water and dumped some feed on the ground then left saying he be back later to check on her and if necessary put her down. What was he thinking? The cow can’t lift her head to drink out of a bucket, stupid.

I went back over just before dark. I kept hearing a calf bawl. It was hers. It took me a half hour to “herd” him to his momma. I had to be careful with him, he’s already spooked, upset. I didn’t try to drive him, just walk him. I just kept moving to locations where he’d see me then calmly decide which way he wanted to go, which of course was towards his momma who couldn’t answer his bawls. Anyway, they are together now. I moved him for his protection. Right now the herd stays on the other side of the farm. If a coyote came by that calf would be dead in minutes. A coyote will hesitate if a cow were present.

The first pic last monday, she’s about 350lbs under weight.

The rest of the pics, how I found her, next dad untying her so we could roll her over. The last is the calf I was moving after dark, can barely make out the black calf. (I had to artificially increase the photo brightness so it looks washed out)

View attachment 73104View attachment 73105View attachment 73106View attachment 73107View attachment 73108
Peanut,
That boy ought to be whipped.
So sorry for the loss of the cow.
Maybe you should take over the business again.
If you're able health wise.
Have that boy pay for that cow.

Oh, I left out the part where 2 other cows have died since the first week of august. Of course that boy hasn't even been up here since July to check anything. He might as well stay away from me. I've had about all of this disaster I can take.

All the cows are malnourished. Look that way to me, cows should be fat, slick and happy in late summer.

This how that field look today after being over grazed for 2 years and has no fertilizer. You can't see it but the field is being taken over by sedge.

Next is how the same field looked 5 years ago when I took care of the pastures. If I started today it'd take me 3 years to get back to this shape.

Both pasture pics were taken in september years apart.

I was born on this farm over 60 years ago. In that time not a single animal has ever been treated like these... It's disgusting!

Bcoe pasture  2  .JPG
Bcoe pasture  1  .jpg

Last edited:
Update, she's still alive, calf sleeping close by. And a pack of coyotes yapping over in the big pasture.

For non-cattle folks look closely at these pics. It's spring, the grass hasn't even put up yet. This is when cattle look the worst they'll look all year.

This is how I took care of critters. Not a rib showing anywhere.

The last pic is august, fat and happy.

general 11 ( 5).jpg
general 11 ( 6).jpg
general 11 ( 7).jpg
post 4 (1).jpg

Is it possible to prevent this worm of a "man" from inflicting himself on any other living creature?

Does he have legal access to this farm and its animals? If so, can it be reversed? If not, then maybe give the idiot some grass to grow or something, and sell off all of the cattle.

Last edited:
Sir Pnut - in All sincerity - IF we 'lived closer', I'd Literally come out to Volunteer some time to help ya, and Bring my Daughter along, to both Help - and Learn - I'd see that as Invaluable Training, something she'd never get even in Homeschool (at least not Here..) and 'putting her in FFA' or something would be Too much the other way (she's not looking for an 'Ag-career', etc...) But..

..Alas, we're stuck out Here, and yer, well.. in 'Bama, so.. Wish you the Best / Strength.. and Patience for that Idjit Boy you've to suffer.. o_O

jd

I thank everyone for your kind replies. I appreciate them. Just frustrated with a situation in which I have no power, had to vent a little. I grew up with all kinds of critters here on the farm, used to bring wild ones home. Learned to care for all of them properly. This ain't it!

To be fair the kid did catch covid this summer.... but if you can't see after them its time to sell.

Just from the pics , pasture is way over grazed and cow's look wormy. How old are the mama cows? Not picking peanut and your nephew needs horse whipped. A bag or bucket of cubes daily really helps keeping the cows tame and easy to corral and doctor.

So sorry to hear that, Peanut. I know nothing about caring for cattle, but that surely looks like abuse to me. That kid should be taken out behind the woodshed, and taught a lesson. He has no business being responsible for their care.

I thank everyone for your kind replies. I appreciate them. Just frustrated with a situation in which I have no power, had to vent a little. I grew up with all kinds of critters here on the farm, used to bring wild ones home. Learned to care for all of them properly. This ain't it!

To be fair the kid did catch covid this summer.... but if you can't see after them its time to sell.

The kindest thing to do is report this to the authorities (anonymously).

I don't know if mama still being alive is a blessing or a curse. There's not much in this world that makes me more angry than animal abuse! It is so heartless and cruel.

Whether or not it did any good, I'd call local animal control. Maybe some authorities need to tell him that this is not OK and won't be tolerated. I'll bet there'd be some good folks willing to rehab the cows or, if they are too far gone, humanely end their suffering.

I know it goes against the grain to report a young family member, but he refused to listen to the advice of his elders (you and your Dad), and sick or not... he could have had a friend or paid someone to pick up the slack.

If he had an ounce of decency, he would not be able to look at so many animals dying slowly of neglect and be unmotivated to do better by them. If he does not reap the consequences of his dastardly deeds HE WILL DO IT AGAIN, with other animals later. One does not have to be "trained, tutored, or coached" to be decent.

Those pictures are haunting... I can't imagine how horrific it must be for you and your Dad to see such atrocities being committed by your own family member. I am so, so sorry.

Justice needs serving. No excuses.

Just from the pics , pasture is way over grazed and cow's look wormy.

And that's the loophole... wormy. None of the cows look like they should this time of year. However, only a few 4 look like the black cow. A few years ago in response to pe ta people harassing farmers around the country the state wrote a series of laws and regulations. They protect livestock owners and especially small farmers from any conceivable claim by extremists. They made sure the law couldn't be used as a weapon against them. Seems they went a bit too far. Being a crappy farmer is not against the law.

A year ago I started researching this matter and I can not write here in the forum what I may or may not have done. Although appreciated I can't answer every concern individually. Please read between the lines here.

Last edited:
Well, this episode of the continuing saga is over. She was put down humanly and disposed of properly meeting all state and local requirements.

I'm on my way to town to get supplies and de-wormer. At this point I'll pay for it out of my own pocket. This isn't gong to happen again, period.

Peanut, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. I really wish we lived closer to some of you folks. I know K and I (the girls too) would be out there in a heartbeat to make this right and help you. I really hate living in California right now. I want to be out near the rest of you.

I know nothing about ranching. It would appear that the original problem is poor care for the field followed by poor care of the cattle. With my limited knowledge this appears to be a problem with its roots to be pre China Flu.

Latest posts

Back