DIY Dog Food Recipes.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
All the recalls on dog food now we are feeding ours whatever meat is on sale with rice,peas,carrots.
We buy that bagged chicken leg thigh 7lb packages and whatever beef is on sale.

Anyone have a good recipe fro dog food?

Winn Dixie had a sale on ground beef $2.69 lb. and chicken legs and thighs in a 10 lb. bag for $599.
So we bought enough to make food for 2 months for about $50. I just made 50 servings with carrots I canned and green peas ,rice. Have plenty more for later in freezer.
Both dogs are better this past 2 weeks since the bad food made them sick. They are 11 years old now.

How about chicken livers and hearts? I don't like them much, so I don't always watch the price, but the local store often has them for about $2/pound. I suppose dogs would gladly eat that...;)

Another thing I wonder about is fish. Is it OK for dogs to eat much fish? You could get a lot of garbage fish like carp or suckers for just the cost of taking yourself down to the water, and then gut them and finely grind them, bones and all...

How about chicken livers and hearts? I don't like them much, so I don't always watch the price, but the local store often has them for about $2/pound. I suppose dogs would gladly eat that...;)

Another thing I wonder about is fish. Is it OK for dogs to eat much fish? You could get a lot of garbage fish like carp or suckers for just the cost of taking yourself down to the water, and then gut them and finely grind them, bones and all...

Spike thats a good idea. We just started this DIY dog food so all ideas appreciated.

This is a recipe that I got from a cousin.

Dog Food
This will feed approx 2 /25lb dogs for 8 days

8 lbs chicken dark and light mixed
5 large sweet potatoes
1 cup dried lentils ground
1T flax seed ground
2 hands full of spinach or parsley
1lg bag frozen green beans (My dogs only like French Cut )
1 large bag frozen peas
Second large bag of peas or peas and carrots
Or 4 large carrots

All meat can be ground first in processor or
2 lbs with greens and carrots in processor
My dogs like chunks so it has evolved.

Bake before starting or night before Sweet Potatoes for 45 min @ 400 degrees. Turn off oven let sit.

Grind lentils and flax in coffee grinder. add water to bottom of large frying pan with lid. Place ground lentils and flax in water. Low heat. Cover

In large pot water, frozen vegetables, and 6 lbs chicken, Boil.

In food processor grind 2 lbs chicken and greens / fresh carrots if using.

Add processed mixture to lentils and flax. Add more water if needed. Medium heat, cover cook until meat is finished. Stir often. 10-20 min.

On counter I have plastic containers ready. Some are meal size, some are halves for snacks.

Approximately 12 sandwich size
4-6 smaller

Twice a day I split one for both dogs. Leave 6 in fridge, the rest in freezer.

Peel and Chop Sweet potatoes
Approx 1/2 cup lentil, flax, ground meat mix per serving
Portion out frozen vegetables until gone.
Cut boiled chicken into small pieces until gone

Last edited:
I just made 30 lb.s of dog food last time was chicken this time it's beef. Green beans, rice, tomatoes, olive oil a little butter and ground beef. Had to throw in a couple a small sliced potatoes since I burnt the bottom of it.

I received this in the mail today. It is quite detailed. The information comes from Sarah Pope, a woman who is a follower of the Weston Price teachings and practices.

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/homemade-dog-food/

Thank you Weedy, I've been wondering if we need to make some changes, I;ll go watch that video you put up. :huggs:

We are thinking of canning the chicken bones and all. Canning turns the bones into soft crumbles. Far as beef they only get about 10lb.s of that a month,it is too expensive to buy for dogs.

Back